Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 16:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Because Petrol ECUs are smarter and will just throw a Check Engine Light or skip the fake readings and correct the errors automatically.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
As a slight offtopic - why do we get these add-ons only for diesels and not for petrols?
These boxes just dump additional diesel into the engine by faking the readings thus increasing the power. Same will not work for petrol because ignition timing needs to be altered as well which these boxes cannot do. The ECU will throw up the CEL light as pointed out above by pranav. Only a proper re map will work for petrols. Check threads on the Race Dynamics ECU for petrols if you are interested.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Same box, different coupler. Don't all cars have different ECU's ? Yes they do. There is something amiss.

But you seem happy with the performance, which is good. Maybe they have a generic base map, which they are using. I am stumped.
@Ricky I did some research and talked to a friend of mine who using using it in his BMW. Basically the Race Chip has simple logic. It multiplies/decreases the fuel delivery/pressure of the common rail system. It intercepts the signal going from the ECU to the Common Rail System. So for example if the ECU sends signal to give x unit of Fuel at y pressue, the Race Chip will give a multiple of that and thereby increase the power/torque. Regardless of who the manufacturer is, Common Rail Systems are supplied by a few vendors such as Delphi/Bosch etc. So the chip can be used across multiple cars provided the vendor of the Common Rail Unit is the same.

Remember that the Race Chip doesn't affect any other electronics in the car except the fuel delivery/pressure by the Common Rail Injectors. In fact if you look at the installation video you just wire the connectors in such a way that the signal from he ECU to the Common Rail system gets intercepted and changed before it goes to the common rail system.

Regarding the price, the devise itself is basically a small IC with connectors and hence should really cost nothing. The main cost is the R&D involved in intercepting the ECU signal to the Common Rail unit and changing it.

So Ricky to answer your question, the Race Chip doesn't need to know any other functions that the ECU is capable off. It purely intercepts and tweaks the signals sent to the common rail system.

I have just ordered on directly for my Scorpio in Germany for 130 Euros. Will update you after it arrives later this month.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th August 2010 at 20:36.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2010, 20:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

LOL. The "signal" is most probably voltage. These tuning boxes are probably not worth more than a couple grand to manufacture.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
LOL. The "signal" is most probably voltage. These tuning boxes are probably not worth more than a couple grand to manufacture.
I agree. The cost to manufacture is virtually nothing especially if you contact your R&D (Replicate & Duplicate) center in China.

The price you sell depends on how well you can package and market it. Petes had a first to market advantage in India, but now people are realizing you don't need to spend the cost of a second hand maruthi to get 30 hp more.

I personally wouldn't buy any of these for more than 10K so I wasn't really interested till I found I can get the Race Chip and 150 bhp/360 NM Scorpio for under 10K.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

So Ricky to answer your question, the Race Chip doesn't need to know any other functions that the ECU is capable off. It purely intercepts and tweaks the signals sent to the common rail system.

I have just ordered on directly for my Scorpio in Germany for 130 Euros. Will update you after it arrives later this month.[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes sense now. But if all it is doing is pumping in more fuel, would it not severely effect FE & smoke emission ?

Would look forward to the results on your Scorpio.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 7th August 2010 at 10:50.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Regardless of who the manufacturer is, Common Rail Systems are supplied by a few vendors such as Delphi/Bosch etc. So the chip can be used across multiple cars provided the vendor of the Common Rail Unit is the same.
4x4addict, no hard feelings please, but if I follow your friend's theory blindly, I have to admit that the CRDI unit of an Audi Q7 and of a puny Punto MJD are the same, as both are manufactured by Bosch?
Old 7th August 2010, 11:18   #23
BHPian

Allright Guys,

I have purchased the Powerbox CR from Mac_Guy(Aditya) for my tucson and Plan to install this in a couple of days. Now what I understand here is that the Lower Range gets more refined if this is installed and hence the Ratios of the Tucson which do suffer from a torque loss at lower speeds can be rectified..

Let me go through this and will report back with results...
Old 7th August 2010, 12:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
4x4addict, no hard feelings please, but if I follow your friend's theory blindly, I have to admit that the CRDI unit of an Audi Q7 and of a puny Punto MJD are the same, as both are manufactured by Bosch?
They are not the same CRDi units from a hardware perspective. However, they essentially get signals from the ECU to deliver fuel to the engine. This signal gets tweaked and nothing more. Hardware is irrelevant. Besides, i am not saying that the same unit is used across the Punto and Q7. Maybe different units. But, I am saying that it is possible to share the box across different bosch systems.

Regarding the claim about improvement in fuel efficiency, I don't believe this as pumping more fuel will decrease fuel efficiency. However according to claims by manufacturers, the higher torque lets you stay in a higher gear hence without having to downshift frequently to overtake etc, thereby improving fuel efficiency. In the sterling james thread where he monitored his swift with the diagnosis tool after putting in the chip, the chip was giving more fuel on acceleration than OEM setting. However, on deceleration (Accelerator not pressed) the unit was sending less fuel. So maybe they try to somehow improve the overall mileage by reducing the supply of fuel when your foot is off the accelerator. Either way, I still feel that if you drive with a heavy foot with the chip, you will get less mileage.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 7th August 2010 at 12:20.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 12:44   #25
BHPian

After Much thinking, I have gone ahead and fit the CR Powerbox to my Tucson, and got it doen from the Hyundai Dealership. Havent driven much yet, but Now the Pickup feels to be increased and there is a certain punch, I still get the jitters in the higher ratios. As per the Manual, there are 24 settings possible and I have just kept this at minimal, will Increase the settings after a couple of Hunderd Kilometers and will update you guys.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
After Much thinking, I have gone ahead and fit the CR Powerbox to my Tucson, and got it doen from the Hyundai Dealership. Havent driven much yet, but Now the Pickup feels to be increased and there is a certain punch, I still get the jitters in the higher ratios. As per the Manual, there are 24 settings possible and I have just kept this at minimal, will Increase the settings after a couple of Hunderd Kilometers and will update you guys.
24 settings WOW there is a lot to play around with then - happy settings.

On a serious note - 24 are you sure ??

Cheers
Old 10th August 2010, 10:51   #27
BHPian

Hey Ricky...
Yes , It has a Screw which has 24 free rotations, So you can keep on increasing with 12 as base..Some thing like 12 High and 12 low twist and with twist of the screw you get more or less power
It is known as TDC Powerbox CR, and is quite easy to install. As i said earlier, will up the revs once I have some time from the hectic office , then will report the results here
Old 10th August 2010, 17:38   #28
BHPian

The one for an Octy is listed at 180 Euros while for almost all cars (even BMW 3/Merc C/ Audi Q7) is listed at 130 Euros. I wonder why it is that way. Maybe Skoda making sure that their customers are fleeced all across the globe

On a serious note - can anybody please share their experience of ordering and taking delivery of foreign goods in India? I am interested in ordering this but do not know how the delivery mechanism works. Will it be a door delivery or would I need to collect it from someplace?

Last edited by Cesc : 10th August 2010 at 17:45.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
The one for an Octy is listed at 180 Euros while for almost all cars (even BMW 3/Merc C) is listed at 130 Euros. I wonder why it is that way. Maybe Skoda making sure that their customers are fleeced all across the globe

On a serious note - can anybody please share their experience of ordering and taking delivery of foreign goods in India? I am interested in ordering this but do not know how the delivery mechanism works. Will it be a door delivery or would I need to collect it from someplace?
Order it via courier and it will be delivered to your doorstep. Any customs/taxes will be collected upon delivery. In case of post, you might have to run around to get your parcels cleared.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Order it via courier and it will be delivered to your doorstep. Any customs/taxes will be collected upon delivery. In case of post, you might have to run around to get your parcels cleared.
Thanks for the reply. I think this ships via courier (says UPS on the site) so like you mentioned, this should be a door delivery.

On a related note the engine tune on the Octy model sold in India (66kW/90 PS) is not listed in the choice of vehicles. However the 105 PS version is listed under the same engine (1.9 TDI). I guess that should work as well considering that all that the chip does is jack up signals from the ECU by a specified proportion. Any reason why it should not work on the 90 PS version?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks