Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:12   #1
BHPian

What purpose does the bug/dirt deflector serve?

What purpose does the bug/dirt deflector serve? I have seen it on a couple of other Safaris too.
Going by the name, I don't see how it can actually stop or deflect insects or dirt from splashing on the windscreen.
Or am I missing something?
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 15:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
What purpose does the bug/dirt deflector serve? I have seen it on a couple of other Safaris too.
Going by the name, I don't see how it can actually stop or deflect insects or dirt from splashing on the windscreen.
Or am I missing something?
Typical case of monkey see, monkey do.
here:Fortuner deflector
prior:
audi DRLs
BMW "angel eyes"
astra club's sunroof(in fact, any sunroof...used to see the stick-on mock-ups on 800s'/sumo's,what not!)
add ons,anybody?
there's such a proliferation of accessories copied from some base car or the other.

but just one point to note.no matter how gaudy the accessory, it will still manage to look good on ONLY one car, ie the base car.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Typical case of monkey see, monkey do
Perhaps in some cases - but that doesn't mean its just a useless accessory!

These things do work, and are particularly useful in areas (or times of year) when there are a lot of flying insects around when you're making a long trip.

Hitting a bug at 100km/h makes a brown splotch on your windscreen that will NOT come off with just your wipers + spray. It takes a good scrubbing and its a pain + irritation to see new bugs hitting your screen every few minutes.

What the bug deflector does is simply deflects the air that is usually hitting the wind-shield, therefore the bugs either hit the deflector, or get pushed over the top of the windshield. Simple aerodynamics. See below :

What purpose does the bug/dirt deflector serve?-imag002a.jpg
Source

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 12:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Perhaps in some cases - but that doesn't mean its just a useless accessory!

These things do work, and are particularly useful in areas (or times of year) when there are a lot of flying insects around when you're making a long trip.

Hitting a bug at 100km/h makes a brown splotch on your windscreen that will NOT come off with just your wipers + spray. It takes a good scrubbing and its a pain + irritation to see new bugs hitting your screen every few minutes.

What the bug deflector does is simply deflects the air that is usually hitting the wind-shield, therefore the bugs either hit the deflector, or get pushed over the top of the windshield. Simple aerodynamics. See below :

Attachment 408555
Source

cya
R
Agreed.
But only when they have been designed in conjunction with the rest of the aerodynamics of the car, i suppose(although i agree aeroDs dont come into play that much at our speeds )

I am just waiting to see this deflector make its way onto our hatchbacks.
the day is not far,you can mark my words..
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am just waiting to see this deflector make its way onto our hatchbacks.
Just googled and got this :

You might wonder why bug deflectors aren’t made for all vehicles. The answer is that most cars are aerodynamically designed with sloping windshields and convex, down-turning hoods that minimize wind resistance and boost fuel economy. These design features allow wind to stream up and over the car. Truck and SUV design is not primarily geared towards being sleek, but towards utility. The body design lends itself to priorities like visibility and cab room. Windshields tend to be closer to vertical and high-profile hoods, less convex. The sharper angle between windshield and hood combined with the higher profile of the SUV and truck make them ideal for catching windshield bugs, flying pebbles and road dirt. The bug deflector helps mitigate this by creating a wind stream that directs debris over the vehicle.

source : What is a Bug Deflector?
Old 14th June 2016, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Re: What purpose does the bug/dirt deflector serve?

Hi Folks,

Any one aware where one can find these bug deflectors in India for XUV 500?

Can't seem to find any online.

Thanks!
Old 14th June 2016, 12:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: What purpose does the bug/dirt deflector serve?

The aero explanation may hold good for small bugs or mosquitoes at higher speeds.

However, I dont think it will work for pebbles and other debris though, as they would weigh substantially more than a bug.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks