Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 16:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

CRV Heart transplant: Is it possible??

Guys!

I need some serious technical advice....

I love SUVs. The SUV that I like the most is the HONDA CRV. The problem is that I can't send close to 27L on buying a new one (is HONDA gone mad).

I can live with a used one which I can buy at an okayish price (I am talking about the new shape CRV) There is a second problem. It is a petrol. I cannot afford the running cost of 4-5 kpl either as my usage will be high (once I have another 'new' old SUV, I may not touch my Swift again).

So, is the following an option:

1) Buy a used CRV.
2) Replace the engine with another competent engine--> Scorpio's 2.2 CRDe?
3) Sell the HONDA engine.

What components will need change. Will the HONDA gearbox cope up with such a change? From where will I source the alternate engine?

In the end: Is this a realistic option and if so, what are the expenditures involved?

Thanks,
Abhi.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:17   #2
BHPian

Wanting your cake and eating it too

Half of the world right now wants a Diesel plonked into the CRV.

Unless you are really deep into automobile technology (i am not) I would avoid such adventures. Conveting a petrol to a diesel would almost mean you replace everything except the chasis/body & panels/electricals; which is easier thought than done.

Look for a decent used diesel SUV instead, according to your budget.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:19   #3
BHPian

Wouldn't a used captiva be what you are looking for.

May be you might get an used Fortuner too. I dont know your budget so i am just guessing
Old 20th August 2010, 17:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't a used captiva be what you are looking for.
Yes, it may be. But it may still not provide the levels of quality a CRV does.It will still be the option if I go the SUV way.

My budget used to be 10L but if I am going SUV way then it could be extended to 13L or so.

Any tech geeks who can give me inputs to the mods I am talking about
I am aware that such a venture will be challenging but what could be the costs involved?
Old 20th August 2010, 17:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys!

In the end: Is this a realistic option and if so, what are the expenditures involved?

Thanks,
Abhi.

First Of All What You have in Mind is ILLEGALL, Its not permitted under the motor vehicle act, You cannot legally plonk a Diesel engine into a Petrol Engine car, secondly its not easy to source a scorpio 2.2 engine you would need to run around a lot, for the amount of effort and money you would end up spending you would be better off buying a new Safari or scorpio .
Old 20th August 2010, 18:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First Of All What You have in Mind is ILLEGALL, Its not permitted under the motor vehicle act, You cannot legally plonk a Diesel engine into a Petrol
OK! That's new. I didn't know that at all. I certainly wouldn't like to do anything illegal. However, don't quite a few guys do such type of thing. Are they all doing this illegally?

Quote:
secondly its not easy to source a scorpio 2.2 engine you would need to run around a lot, for the amount of effort and money you would end up spending you would be better off buying a new Safari or scorpio
The first part is well understood and I am prepared to do that, if it is worth it. when you say used Safari or scorpio, are you talking only for the heart transplant cost or the overall cost?

Quote:
May be you might get an used Fortuner too

i would love to! But isn't getting anew one itself is challenging, leave aside a used one. so, in such a case, I will probably get a used piece Rs 1000 less than the price of new one
Old 20th August 2010, 18:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can look at a used X-Trail (previous model). Only thing you need to live with is the centrally mounted instrument cluster and somewhat dull interiors!
Another idea- what does it take to import a used diesel CRV from UK?

Last edited by Guna : 20th August 2010 at 18:21.
Old 20th August 2010, 18:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
OK! That's new. I didn't know that at all. I certainly wouldn't like to do anything illegal. However, don't quite a few guys do such type of thing. Are they all doing this illegally?

The first part is well understood and I am prepared to do that, if it is worth it. when you say used Safari or scorpio, are you talking only for the heart transplant cost or the overall cost?

When I meant Illegal what i wanted to convey was that Your RC Would have the specifications for a Petrol Engine and its details, later on if you put in a Diesel Engine you cannot have that endorsed on your RC Sadly thats how things are in our country . So what you would end up driving is not a Road legal car and there are some smart cops who catch on to this, Fine is 5000rs with chances of car being impounded.

Hope you get my point.

The costs and implications just dont make this scenario Practical in my opinion, A decent used CRV would depending on year og Mfg would set you back by atleast 10 lakhs in delhi add to that the costs of your experiment which can be in a range of 1 to 3 lakhs depending on your luck.

What i would suggesst is that if you are worried about the Petrol costs why dont you Plonk in a sequential CNG kit!! that ways you save on fuel plus its legal plust the kit wont cost you a Bomb, Thats a lot of pluses
Old 20th August 2010, 18:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would rather go with a new Fortuner.
IMO looks much more better than the CRV, its a diesel, has road presence. Engine Swap in CRV is not recommended at all.
Old 20th August 2010, 18:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, in olden days I'v heard and seen esteem's and gypsy's getting a diesel heart. But nowadays, with all the ECU's and CRDi's I doubt that its going to be an easy task.

Regarding your query, it should be very much NOT possible to plonk a scorpio engine into a CRV. Also, the heavier diesel engine will call for a change in suspension set up. The cost involved, would not be worth the effort. On the whole, the CRV'ness would be destroyed.

If you are addicted to the looks of the CRV, then I suggest you go for a used Captiva like sreedotk suggested and mod it to make it look better than the CRV. Also a CNG kit could be another alternative, but I cant imagine a CRV with a gas tank.

Last edited by dhanushs : 20th August 2010 at 18:56.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Alternatively, you can search for the good ol' Mitshubishi workhorse- Pajero.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

and to top it all, stop calling CR-V an SUV
Old 20th August 2010, 23:33   #13
BHPian

CR-V is an SUV? LOL
It is driven by soccer moms (read homemakers) to ferry their kids around.
As others suggested, you have better options. And why on earth due you want to replace a technologically advanced petrol engine with a relatively low-tech diesel unit? Illegal and very very difficult.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need some serious technical advice....
Is this a realistic option...?
Abhi, just 2 words of serious non-technical advice:

FORGET IT.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:55   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Abhi, just 2 words of serious non-technical advice:

FORGET IT.
Abhi, just 2 words of serious technical advice:

FORGET IT.

Most Viewed