Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2005, 13:01   #1
BHPian

Drilled And Sloted Brakes For Camry???

Hi everyone..i need a pair of drilled and slotted discs for my camry. i have a 2005 model with 12, 000km on the odo. well the problem started at 9000 km whenever i brake over 120 km the the whole steering starts to shudder and vibrate. the guys at nippon cochin said that they need to smoothen the discs out as it had lines on the discs due to hard braking. they fixed the problem at the 10,000 km servicing. now the problem has resurfaced again at 12,000. i dont know what to do.
i wanna replace the discs with the slotted ones i heard they r much better. does anyone know where i can get them done in india.
also i need a modder in bagalore....i am sure arush can help me out with this!!!
let me know guys....need it real bad....!!!
ps/ i didnt expect this kinda problem for a car like this...even my zen is better than this!!!
Old 21st November 2005, 13:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check the entire braking system, point to point.

Check the alignment and balance the wheels(just to be sure)

Check & Skim ur brake discs,once. Then, update on this thread.

1 more thing- does it vibrate when u brake HARD only??
Old 21st November 2005, 15:10   #3
BHPian

dude i have tried all this...
the entire braking system can only be checked at toyota dealership.
yes i have SKIMMED it 2 times already...
it vibrates as i brake hard from a speed above 120km....
what to do...????
yes i have aligned and balanced the wheels. also i have rotatd the rims also....there is nothing i have not done???
Old 22nd November 2005, 09:22   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Case of warped rotors but surprising how it happened only at 12k kms.
Old 22nd November 2005, 11:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but surprising how it happened only at 12k kms
Poor quality,of course. It must be a 1 in a 1000 pieces which is defective.
Old 14th December 2005, 17:30   #6
BHPian

Warped rotors after 12k KM is surprising, especially for a toyota. The dealer will replace it under warranty, check with them.

Also, you dont want to get drilled and slotted rotors for your camry. To begin with, you will void the warranty on the brakes by doing that, and lastly, there is no practical use by getting cross drilled and slotted rotors, unless you plan on converting the camry into a track car!

Cross drilled and Slotted (CD&S) rotors are designed so there is more surface area on the metal and the metal cools better. You really need this for a race car, or a track car, where brake temperatures go sky high. The camry is not that powerful, and the tires are not very wide, so you dont need high performance rotors at all. In addition, CD&S rotors are known to be brittle and they sometimes crack under stress, so just go with stock replacements and they will be more reliable.

I attended several track days in my IS300, and put the toyota brakes to the extreme test. Would get up on the straightway, run speeds in excess of 220 kph, and right before entering a corner, would 'SIT' on the brake pedal (ABS in full swing) until the car would slow down to 130 or so and then swing it in. After a few laps, the rotors would be literally GLOWING (could see it at night) and the brakes were super hot. At first, brake fluid would boil and the pedal would get mushy but after I upgraded to racing brake fluid, this was not a problem anymore. The point being, that even in such a case, I did not need CD&S rotors, however I would see 911's and corvettes with them, and that is definately justified, as they come in handy in those extreme cases.

I would can confidently tell you that toyota makes some high quality parts, so just go with a set of stock rotors for your camry. Good luck!

Last edited by idnani : 14th December 2005 at 17:33.
Old 17th December 2005, 03:32   #7
BHPian

how would i know if the rotors wraped???
even earleir in test drive section here i heard someone mention the steering wobble at high speeds...
if i am gonna replace it what r the ones i should go for...i want discs at least thet r drilled....if not slotted...!
Old 17th December 2005, 14:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4cure
how would i know if the rotors wraped???
even earleir in test drive section here i heard someone mention the steering wobble at high speeds...
if i am gonna replace it what r the ones i should go for...i want discs at least thet r drilled....if not slotted...!

A shuddering in the steering wheel, when you brake at high speeds is almost unique for warped front rotors. I saw this in a friends camry, but after 40k miles or so.

Like I mentioned , there is no practical usage for you getting drilled rotors, and its just going to give your furthur problems on the long run (like getting warped again sooner than stock), but you seem hell bent on it and its our car after all! I'm not sure where you can get such aftermarket products in India, but you will obviously have to pay for it out of pocket, whereas Toyota should replace the discs under warranty (for FREE), due to premature warping.

I also noticed that your alloy wheels are pretty flat, and you can barely see the rotors (discs) behind the wheels, so even the appearence of the drilled rotors will be barely noticible. Good luck either way.

Last edited by idnani : 17th December 2005 at 14:01.
Old 18th December 2005, 07:03   #9
BHPian

ohh ok..so how di i get htese damn toyota guys to replace these...look the thing is there is shuddering of the steering at speeds above 100..come on that is not even a speed...what should i do...
the people at the place skimmedthe discs like 2 times already.. i dunno what to do...what do u recommend..!! how do i prove to them that the rotor is wraped...

Most Viewed