Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2009, 02:58   #1801

Hey guys.
I had a small(okay maybe not small :P ) query.
I am gonna work on my swift when i go back to india this time.
I am thinking of removing it's cat back (this will reduce the back-pressure) there by improving performance.
Now will this lead to smoke ( the gray smog types ) coming out of my exhaust ? Also will this increase any noise and make my exhaust notes better ?
I plan to hammer a pipe through the cat bak so it is still physically present but of course does not perform it's role.
I am also getting a free flow performance muffler for the car which i will put once i remove the cat bak.
Will this entire setup lead to better sound and exhaust notes or will a change of headers and larger diameter pipes(which will in turn make it a complete free flow system) be required ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 26th December 2009, 22:13   #1802
BHPian

So, I plunged in at last.

FFE + Headers job from Viper for my '06 36K-run Swift Vxi - asked for low-mid torque /low sound. Plus K&N Universal Conical Air Filter.

Wanted to write a review after driving 1000km+ on the new mods, so here goes.

My daily route involves 84 Km of driving, half of which is busy/bumper-to-bumper and half of which is expressway-ish. So, speeds range from 10-15kmph crawls to 120+ cruising & an occasional 160+ if there's no traffic at all.

One important thing Jignesh told me about the condition of my car was that the Clutch is 80% gone. I was surprised since there's hardly any judder. Unfortunately, no wheelspin was detected in the shift from 1st to 2nd gear at 5k+ rpm.

With this sobering fact, left the car with Jignesh for a day.

Positives:

1. No change in idling RPM/engine temp. Exactly the same as stock.
2. Very noticeable and a much needed improvement in driveability - no lugging in 3rd gear 20kmph. Feels quite 'Innova'ish - nice bottom-end grunt makes it a pleasure to close gaps in traffic. Also drive a Ikon 1.6 Sxi and I feel the Swift P is 80% there in low-end grunt.
3. 4th gear 40kmph/5th gear 45kmph work fine. Never felt comfortable doing this in stock.
4. Revs easily beyond 7K in 2nd gear - earlier, would be a struggle to get past 6.1/6.2K.
5. Definitely revs freerer and faster - 3rd gear 60-100 is a revelation.
6. Took it to exactly 160kph. Couldn't go faster - too much traffic. I'll floor it in the expressway one of these days to see if there's any top end improvement.
7. The FFE sound track makes it very evocative. There's a subtle, classy, bassy thrum from the outside during idling. Inside the cabin, the only time the exhaust gets intrusive is if you blip the throttle deeply - a very delightful 'bark'.
I was initially scared if there would be a constant drone at 100-130 kmph cruising, but its almost close to stock.
8. The k&n conical air filter sounds very sweet at high revs. In fact, I can barely hear the engine - the k&n is whooshing in the front and the rear emits an angry bark.
9. After 3 yrs + of ownership, I was dilly dallying on whether to upgrade. This will keep me happy for a year more at least!
10. Reduced usage of my shrill bosch horns - a new way to deal with the pesky dude in Splendour in the middle of the road at 40kmph. Don't honk. Downshift to second, press the clutch, floor the accelerator - he'll dive left and then you whoosh by.

Negatives:

1. My 30K ICE is being switched off most of the time.
2. Wife gets angry when she hears the bark. Its really tough to drive silently.
3. Brakes feel inadequate. Didn't feel that way in stock. I had the same sensation in my first VDi drive.
4. 185/70s R14 on Steel wheels suddenly don't suit the car's personality!
5. Slight reduction in fuel economy - around 1/1.5 kmpl. Maybe that's because its very very tough to drive sedately. I'll happily live with it.

Jignesh says a new clutch would make the car much better - I'll get that done after another 10K.

Overall, a very pleasant experience with Viper performance.

End note: For anyone out there a bit bored with your Swift P, just go for it!
Old 27th December 2009, 01:26   #1803

I too want a FFE for my swift but will be in India for only 20 days. So I need a few suggestions. I can get the parts from my current city(Dubai) easily. Is there a performance cat back included in your FFE system or there is none at all ? Or are you still using the stock. I fired you with so many questions as i have plans of removing it. Also I'll be getting a performance muffler and any advice for the brand of the headers ?
Thanks.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th January 2010 at 16:25. Reason: Post edited: Please do not quote a long post when replying to a thread.
Old 27th December 2009, 17:48   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlukan View Post
I too want a FFE for my swift but will be in India for only 20 days. So I need a few suggestions. I can get the parts from my current city(Dubai) easily. Is there a performance cat back included in your FFE system or there is none at all ? Or are you still using the stock. I fired you with so many questions as i have plans of removing it. Also I'll be getting a performance muffler and any advice for the brand of the headers ?
Thanks.
No cat in my FFE. Got the entire kit- headers+FFE tuned to my driving tastes from a single store. 20 days is decent time. You could perhaps order for a kit through courier and get it fitted at your local mechanic store since its a bolt-on job. That way, you don't need to carry stuff down from Dubai.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:07   #1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
No cat in my FFE. Got the entire kit- headers+FFE tuned to my driving tastes from a single store. 20 days is decent time. You could perhaps order for a kit through courier and get it fitted at your local mechanic store since its a bolt-on job. That way, you don't need to carry stuff down from Dubai.
Getting the kit shipped is no problem but I can't buy the entire kit rite now. Well I'm just a student and buy stuff from my cars through my pocket money and since i come to India for like a month only, my dad sees no point in modifying my rides. Anyways what I've of thought as of now is to remove the Cat Kon and fit in a free flow muffler. And during my next visit I can work on the headers. Do you think it'll sound good as per my 1st step ??
Old 1st January 2010, 14:25   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlukan View Post
Getting the kit shipped is no problem but I can't buy the entire kit rite now. Well I'm just a student and buy stuff from my cars through my pocket money and since i come to India for like a month only, my dad sees no point in modifying my rides. Anyways what I've of thought as of now is to remove the Cat Kon and fit in a free flow muffler. And during my next visit I can work on the headers. Do you think it'll sound good as per my 1st step ??
Sounds good! Get a soulful sounding end-can!
Old 1st January 2010, 15:14   #1807
Senior - BHPian

The Hungarian Mod looks pretty bad.

the swift mod seems a disaster.
Old 1st January 2010, 19:22   #1808
BHPian

@d_himan, the review sounds pretty good. How long did the whole process take? Was it a 1-2 day job ? I am planning the plunge very very soon. I am sure Viper has done a killer job. I just cant wait.

Cheers !!
Old 17th January 2010, 15:59   #1809
BHPian

Lower grill stolen

So I had the lower grill of my Swift stolen a couple of weeks ago. Being harrowed with work I couldn't get anything done. In any case, didn't like the original grill too much and couldn't find the right honeycomb grill that would match the upper grill itself. Got cracking yesterday and found an aluminium shop at Santacruz station west here in Mumbai. Picking up a 3ft X 1ft grill for Rs.50 a sq. ft. and found a decent enough tinker in Andheri East. After that it was just a matter of measuring and bending. Went into paint this morning and about 15 mins later came out with a perfectly good lower grill. Here are some pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-withoutlowergrill.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-bumperremoved.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-lowergrillattached1.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-lowergrillattached2.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-lowergrillattached3.jpg  

Old 17th January 2010, 16:33   #1810
BHPian

Your lower grill looks 100,000times better than the stock lower girll. Nice thought. In a way the one stole your lower grill did good to your car. Else it wouldn't have got this tiny yet sweet upgrade.
Old 17th January 2010, 18:58   #1811
BHPian

@Kingofmyworld, totally true. When the grill went off, I was both happy and sad. happy that I could do this and sad that people in my area (I live in a fairly up market part of Mumbai called Powai) would do something like this. I know this discussion is not a part of this thread but still boils me over.

Anyways, this lower grill has only added more black to the car and think it goes well with the flared wheel arches and the spoiler that I have. I'm still looking for a waterjet to get the right dimensions for the grill. Have a design in mind that would span from the edges of the two fog lamps. In essence, make the car look wider than than it is. If you notice, I have attempted to extend the upper grill from headlamp to headlamp by painting the bumper pieces black. Works for me for now. Also blacked out the logo. Hate the chrome on cheap (ahem) cars like the Swift. These need to be looking like plastic. Chrome only adds to visual despair.

Waiting to match the wheels. The tyres are almost done at 35k kms. Once some money comes in, I'll be on my way to a cooler looking car with (hopefully) lesser NVH. Original tyres are utter rubbish.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:53   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Do any one of you had the experience of over steer problems in VDi at high speeds?.
I have recently met with an accident and I strongly feel that over steer could be a possible cause for accident
Old 7th February 2010, 19:32   #1813
BHPian

@Ashley2 Drive safe. Not good to hear about accidents and all. I haven't had problems with oversteer. Not that I can think of. In fact the skinny tyres that come with the car are a downer enough not to try and push the car to its actual limit.

What was the sequence of events leading to this? If you could describe it, maybe someone else here can piece it together for you.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:28   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
@Ashley2 Drive safe. Not good to hear about accidents and all. I haven't had problems with oversteer. Not that I can think of. In fact the skinny tyres that come with the car are a downer enough not to try and push the car to its actual limit.

What was the sequence of events leading to this? If you could describe it, maybe someone else here can piece it together for you.
Ya sure even I do agree with you and now a days I never push things more.
I was just driving around 90 in a deserted highway. Suddenly a two wheeler wala came crossing the road.So inorder to prevent hitting him I just made a sharp right turn then vehicle turned towards right but was moving away from road. So again to bring the car under control I turned other way, ie left and because of that it took a complete 180 degree and went side ways dragging for about 30 ft and hit a tree. It hit directly in the driver side door.
I have barely missed and was safe with monor injury.
Yes, ofcourse seat belt saved me.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:50   #1815
BHPian

hi guys here are the pics of the swift i have seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-dsc00421.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-dsc00425.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-dsc00427.jpg  

Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-dsc00429.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks