Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:42   #1

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc

Hi Team,

My first post!

I just modified my 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis. Added a custom front and rear bumper, side skirts, a lip spoiler and a custom hood. No performance mods. The car looks really elegant to me, not too sporty or jazzy, which is exactly how I wanted it. I would really appreciate honest feedback on the work; the more critical, the better

I now want to work on the interiors. I want to start with a dashtop, which has all the following features integrated:
Reverse Parking Cam, GPS, Audio Player, DVD Player, FM Radio, Satellite Radio (if possible), iPod Connectivity, Bluetooth, and the possibility of having an Internet connection. Support for serious gaming (good graphics) is a good add-on.

I'm not sure whether all these features are possible to accomodate in one integrated system (with one single touchscreen that is). But I would like to have as many of these features as possible, so if anyone has installed a similar system please do advice on how I can take this up. My Vitamin-M is sufficiently high, but not infinite of course

My car:
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-top-left.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-front-left-2.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-front.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-front-bumper-1.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-side.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-side-skirts.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-rear-bumper.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-rear-left.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-rear.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-corolla-altis-lip-spoiler.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2010, 21:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Frank opinion.

I give it a thumbs down. Get rid of it. Its way too overdone IMO
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Frank opinion.

I give it a thumbs down. Get rid of it. Its way too overdone IMO
Hi Abhi,

That was quick and painful :(

But yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for: a different perspective. So could you please be a little more specific? I want to know what you did not like about the mod. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:24   #4
BHPian

i am sure of one thing seeing this mod,
this bodykit does not suit the altis. but then that's just my opinion.

front bumper mod is still fine but the rear is really out of sorts.
what you can do to make it more aggressive and justify the bodykit is getting bigger alloys and fatter rubber, that would really help the looks.

and please loose the mud flaps and the black bumper protectors, mods would look much cleaner without them.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:05   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

The pics would soon appear on the "Weird Mod jobs" thread.

Altis has a very smooth and stylish contour lines. The plastics added clearly do not flow with the basic styling concept. For me, any kind of modification should improve the aesthetic appeal of the car. The mods done actually look like the ones that were meant for a Innova.

My advice would be to take it off (if possible) and go in for a smoother, more docile looking mods

By the way, i liked the rear spoiler
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry brother, but it doesnt look good (atleast in pics). Looks more SX4ish from the front. That body kit just doesnt suit Altis.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

Here is my take on it -

1) Lose the Black bumper protectors, they look horrible.
2) Cant really ask you to change the design of the bumpers since its not possible now is it? I would have made it a little more subtle.
3) Get bigger rims, 17" (dark grey or gunmetal) preferably if practicality isnt an issue with wider tyres (215 or 225).
4) On the rear bumper, get the lower middle part of it painted black, so that it looks like a diffuser. If your not understanding I can do a quick ps chop for you.
5) Get mesh grills in the front, for the upper grill and the lower air damn. The front has too many lines and looks messy right now.
6) Get eyelids made for the headlamps or get projector lamps with angel eyes
2009-2010 TOYOTA COROLLA CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS: eBay Motors (item 300446311633 end time Sep-11-10 22:15:03 PDT)
7) Lose the stickers on your rear windscreen and get high security number plates.

With these few mods it will look a lot better.

As for your dash, any high end double din touchscreen head unit will offer all the features besides internet and support for gaming (why on earth in a car?).

Otherwise you can look at a car pc. Check the ICE forums for that.

BTW which tint do you have?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 2nd September 2010 at 22:12.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ N!Ne-T-N!Ne: I'll photoshop my suggestions and show you tomorrow.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:21   #9
BHPian

your location says mumbai. How come ravindu toyota sticker
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

Heres a quick chop of what i was suggesting on the bumpers -
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-untitled1.jpg  

Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-untitled2.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2010, 23:00   #11
BHPian

i like what akshay has done with ps
I agree with him you should go for this look if its possible.
and about the side skirts, i think you should source those which came with altis sports limited edition, i really liked that sports edition it had the right touches at the right places.
Here's a pic of side view
Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-toyotacorollaaltiscng4.jpg
Source: Google Images

Last edited by yogiii : 2nd September 2010 at 23:15.
Old 3rd September 2010, 01:27   #12
AWD
BHPian

Body kit/extensive mods & Corolla don't go together. Its an out-n-out Executive saloon, too mature, purposeful, practical for this type of clothing.

Plus this is not a wide, low stance car on which Body kits suit. The newly designed front grill & bonnet line are such that not much modifications would suit.
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:41   #13

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the comments. No sarcasm here, it really helps to get honest opinions and go for a rational change rather than having a bunch of people nodding their heads in agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
front bumper mod is still fine but the rear is really out of sorts. what you can do to make it more aggressive and justify the bodykit is getting bigger alloys and fatter rubber, that would really help the looks.
Can you specify exactly how you want the rear bumper to be changed? A few pics of elegant-looking rear-bumper mods would be really helpful. That way, I can probably sketch the concept on the Altis stock bumper and reply back.

Yes, I'm working on the alloy wheels. Again, please let me know if any particular brands come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
and please loose the mud flaps and the black bumper protectors, mods would look much cleaner without them.
I agree on the black bumper protectors - they need to go. Those were genuine Altis accessories that I had purchased with the car, but they don't gel anymore. Regarding the mud flaps, will removing them cause any inconvenience to the guys behind me, especially during the monsoons on highways? If yes, is there an alternative to those?
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I really liked the ones that yogi shared.
Altis is not meant for these extensive body mods. I would suggest you to keep it simple and try to install only the front bumper lips instead of changing the bumper completely.
Also, please please remove the black bumper protectors. They spoil everything.
Also, the car seriously need a wider Tyre and bigger rims. Am fine with the side skirts
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
1) Lose the Black bumper protectors, they look horrible.
Agreed, they'll be gone.

Quote:
2) Cant really ask you to change the design of the bumpers since its not possible now is it? I would have made it a little more subtle.
Going for a complete design change is doable. Please reply back with what you might have in mind.

Quote:
3) Get bigger rims, 17" (dark grey or gunmetal) preferably if practicality isnt an issue with wider tyres (215 or 225).
Working on it...

Quote:
7) Lose the stickers on your rear windscreen and get high security number plates.
Will do that.

Quote:
I will be going for Angel eyes soon, but I found them quite costly (I'm not referring to the listing; I checked them at local dealers in India). As soon as I get a good deal, I'll get them installed.

I'm not sure what eyelids are. I'm guessing they are as shown below:
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Corolla Altis - comments pls + advice on dashtop etc-eyelids.jpg  

Last edited by N!Ne-T-N!Ne : 3rd September 2010 at 10:22.

Most Viewed