Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 15:20   #61
BHPian

Re: Car Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
I checked with the Auth. Dealer for Tropicool (Chennai) and he Quoted the below prices.

Tropicool 12A MRP Rs. 11,350.00 (Inclusive of 14.5% V A T)
Tropicool CT 07 MRP Rs. 5,181.00 (Incl. 14.5% V A T)
Tropicool RVP 1B MRP Rs. 1,438.00 (incl 14.5% VAT )

Looks like a huge price difference. Do you know if the reliance autozone offer is India Wide?
12A and CT07 were on offer but the offer is no longer available now.
Old 31st March 2012, 00:19   #62
BHPian

CAR FRIDGE REFRIGERATOR CAN SHAPE COOLER & WARMER | eBay

any reviews on this model? Its the coke can shaped fridge asked earlier in the thread.
Old 31st March 2012, 09:43   #63
BANNED

@Funda; This is often referred to as the bottle chiller. Though a can chiller may be more appropriate now.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:23   #64
BHPian

Naaptol is offering the VOX 4 lt car fridge for 2999. Is it worth it? Need advise from experienced folks.

VOX Portable Mini Refrigerator For Home & Car Price - Buy VOX Portable Mini Refrigerator For Home & Car Price in India, Best Prices n Review

Also saw on the Croma website, that they are offering the car cooler/warmer. Is this worth a buy? It says that it's a cooler and not a car fridge.

http://www.cromaretail.com/Croma-8-L...c-535-400.aspx

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 30th April 2012 at 14:29. Reason: Added content
Old 30th April 2012, 14:37   #65
BANNED

@gauravdgr8; I do not think Naaptol have a good reputation. Cheap and cheerful at best! It is a 6L model. I will personally avoid them.
Old 30th April 2012, 21:54   #66
BHPian

Bhpians in Delhi/NCR who are interested in buying the Tropicool 12AD car fridge, Reliance autozone is willing to give a special price if it is a bulk purchase ( i would assume that 3-4 nos. should be fine to qualify for the price ). Pls. PM me and i can let you know the price and the location so that you can you can directly go and buy for yourself.

Mods : I am not promoting any store but just want to help fellow bhpians get a price similar to what i have got.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 30th April 2012 at 21:57.
kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:40   #67
BANNED

I have had my Tropicool 12A for well over two (maybe four) years. I had two failures - both which plugged into mains overnight. The first was under warranty, we opened it up after checking with them, and found a blown Schottky diode. They mailed it and we replaced it and things were fine. I have another failure two months ago, it was well out of warranty. I was going to Gurgaon, luckily they had a technician visiting Delgi & Gurgaon for aervice matters. He came and replaced the motherboard.

He had a 12V 4A adapter with him. On my return I checked with them and have now ordered a 12V 5A unit for Rs.1699 all inclusive. Now I will use this in place of the power cord (in any case the 5A plug) cannot go into the pocket. This may be a more permanent fix.

What I saw was that after the replacement I actually saw some icing on the inside walls! This was not there on the original system. In any case I have not been plugging it into mains, so as not to risk another failure.
Old 18th October 2014, 21:50   #68
BHPian

Tropicool 18 Lt fridge, model 18AD, available at special discount price of Rs.8500/- at Reliance Autozone, Ambiance Mall Gurgaon.

I bought one piece today for my new innova. Also bought tropicool AC/DC adapter for 1299/-

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 18th October 2014 at 21:52.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 16:11   #69
BANNED

The cigarette adapter cord of my 12AD failed. It got too hot and chewed up the connector in a nine hour drive from kanpur to Gurgaon. I had a problem and even super glue did not help. I wrote to Tropicool and got no reply. I found and have now ordered two 12V 15A lighter adapters from amazon.com for under $8 each. I have had a similar problem with the tyre inflator connector, so will replace them both. I expect delivery early next month.
Old 16th January 2015, 16:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The cigarette adapter cord of my 12AD failed. It got too hot and chewed up the connector in a nine hour drive from kanpur to Gurgaon. I found and have now ordered two 12V 15A lighter adapters from amazon.com for under $8 each. I have had a similar problem with the tyre inflator connector, so will replace them both.
Cord/Adapter getting hot points to a high current draw many times due to a short in the circuitry, or mechanical obstruction. Might help to get those eliminated first.

~ Rs 500/- per adapter (presumably plastic/bakelite) is a bit too much don't you think?
I had ordered an M-F pair for under Rs 350/-. Normally these are rated for 15A anyway that's the standard amperage for these connectors.
Old 16th January 2015, 21:51   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
1. Cord/Adapter getting hot points to a high current draw many times due to a short in the circuitry, or mechanical obstruction. Might help to get those eliminated first.

2. ~ Rs 500/- per adapter (presumably plastic/bakelite) is a bit too much don't you think?
I had ordered an M-F pair for under Rs 350/-. Normally these are rated for 15A anyway that's the standard amperage for these connectors.
1. There is no short or something similar. When we traced it turned out to be a bad fuse (31mm) with a lot of pitting on one end! I do not know whether it was before or after the event! But the damage had been done. In hindsight the connector in the mains adapter (12V 6A) was getting warm, and I should have been alerted.

I checked and found the connectors available are typically 5 or 7A.

This 15A job is with premoulded wire and is designed for CB radios. There are not too many on amazon.com either. Mostly unrated (2A) or 5A. A replacement cord from Tropicool is about ₹1400! Also, I find a damaged connector on my car inflator (10A max) with the same problem (damaged threads), so maybe this (el cheapo Chinese!) design has a problem. I never had a problem in the Red and Black unfused connectors for the past 20 years!

2. I bought a pair of lighter connectors for about ₹450, but were not rugged enough. The fuse (19mm) was 3A. No way could the spring have taken 5A continuously, while I am looking for long term life. The unit draws about 6A, since the mains adapter I have bought from Tropicool is 6A at 12VDC. So at 13.5V it may rise a bit.

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th January 2015 at 21:56.
Old 19th January 2015, 20:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The cigarette adapter cord of my 12AD failed. It got too hot and chewed up the connector in a nine hour drive from kanpur to Gurgaon. I had a problem and even super glue did not help. I wrote to Tropicool and got no reply.
Was the cigarette adapter cord supplied from Tropicool or any other company. Generally i found them to be always responsive.
Suggest you to contact them @09926192262 (customer service)

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh
Old 20th January 2015, 09:27   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Was the cigarette adapter cord supplied from Tropicool or any other company. Generally i found them to be always responsive.
Suggest you to contact them @09926192262 (customer service)
It was an OE part (in fact supplied by their service guy). I am myself surprised ince Mr Subir is pretty good in the dealings. In my case the replacement was identical to the original, so now that I have ordered from Amazon, let me try it out. The tech guy found that the threads in the Original unit were stripped, hence it was replaced. After two failures of the mains adapter, I found him with the mains adapter (4A) and contact Mr Subir for the same. Subir called, asked me to wait since thy had 6A units on order. Sine Mr Shingare is IITKgp and I am an IITK grad and worked there for almost 34 years.

Let me get the replacement and then splice it in. I will post the pics here once it is done. The one I have ordered is 15A two-wire with three pin connector (for CB radios).

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th January 2015 at 09:31.
Old 30th January 2015, 11:36   #74
BANNED

The 15A cable from amazon.com with the original cord. I will have to cut and join (using heat shrink sleeving to seal) or use a 3M connector to piggy-back the cables. While the original cord is 12' (~4m) the new cord is only 6'. So I will have to join.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Fridge-img_1622a.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2015, 17:21   #75
BANNED

Managed to cut and put the new wire. Note that this wire is somewhat thicker, the terminal far beefier. Used heat shrink sleeving the close cover and seal the wire. I was planning on a second layer but the wire proved to be too think for the thinner sleeving I was planning on. Also, this connector has a blue LED to indicate power. The rounded end of the connector is -ve, and the smooth wire is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Fridge-img_1624a.jpg  

Most Viewed