Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:46   #46
BHPian

hii everyone,
this being my first post on T-BHP i want to contribute genuinely in the interest of this post. My dad drives an Alto with a company fitted CNG kit. Even I drive it on weekends and as per requirement. Till now we have clocked 40K plus kms over a period of nearly 2 years (will be completing 2 years in AUG) with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL and will be clocking even more. It is very very cheap to run, a tankfull of CNG about Rs.200/- runs for over 200 km during winters (AC not used at all) and my dad being a light footed driver manages 220+km on a tankfull. But during summers(Hot Delhi Summers) I manage around 160 to 170 km on tankfull with AC on 90% of the time. So in my opinion its farely cheap but loss in power is enormous, sometimes I even have to switch AC off to get off the red light in first gear. As far as i have experinced CNG should be hooked onto a vehicle with atleast 1000cc.
Hope it helps
Old 24th May 2010, 10:55   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Till now we have clocked 40K plus kms over a period of nearly 2 years (will be completing 2 years in AUG) with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL and will be clocking even more.
That's some running. No doubt, CNG is well-suited to your high usage and its great to hear that you haven't had any problems.

Quote:
My dad drives an Alto with a company fitted CNG kit.
IIRC, Maruti launched the Alto CNG (with a company-fitted kit) somewhere in the middle of 2009. Your Alto is a 2008. Did you get your kit from the dealer then?
Old 26th May 2010, 16:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Anyone having CNG fitment on FORD cars... Fiesta preferably.

A mechanic told me that CNG is not that successful in Ford cars as it misfires.

Also, has anyone installed CNG kit in Civic, as my boss has sought my suggestion.

You heard it right! Ford's, pretty much the entire lineup available in India have problems with CNG fitments. Not just the misfiring, but there are some technical issues of the ECU not sending the correct signals after installing the sequential injection system.

I just got the Sequential system installed on my Civic by Navnil AutoGas a couple days back. Works like charm. Negligible power loss issues and the car runs on CNG runs @ 1.5 to 1.6 Rs./Km which is great for driving around in the city
Old 26th May 2010, 17:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
You heard it right! Ford's, pretty much the entire lineup available in India have problems with CNG fitments. Not just the misfiring, but there are some technical issues of the ECU not sending the correct signals after installing the sequential injection system.

I just got the Sequential system installed on my Civic by Navnil AutoGas a couple days back. Works like charm. Negligible power loss issues and the car runs on CNG runs @ 1.5 to 1.6 Rs./Km which is great for driving around in the city
Thank you for your reply. Its really nice on your part to have replied to both of my queries .
Old 26th May 2010, 18:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What make is it and how much does it cost? Any loss of power or warning lights??
Old 26th May 2010, 18:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IIRC, Maruti launched the Alto CNG (with a company-fitted kit) somewhere in the middle of 2009. Your Alto is a 2008. Did you get your kit from the dealer then?
GTO,
My Dad works in Maruti its a partially company owned vehicle and they provided the kit. The kit was very costly around 55k(Mind you its not a sequential kit) though the company paid for it
But it was the latest kit available in the market at that time, I'll tell you how.
We dont even have to open the hood to fill CNG. The port is on back side (I can provide pics if anybody wants to see) like the one in WagonR Duo(LPG) and it requires MGV.
MGV (don't know what it exactly means some gas valve) its like a plastic cylinder attached on the metal pipe at the station. They remove it for normal vehicles and attatch it when we get it filled.

Once we did a Delhi-Mussoorie trip and the tankfull of gas went for around 240-250kms. It just finished before the climb upto mountains.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:44   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
hii everyone,
this being my first post on T-BHP i want to contribute genuinely in the interest of this post. My dad drives an Alto with a company fitted CNG kit. Even I drive it on weekends and as per requirement. Till now we have clocked 40K plus kms over a period of nearly 2 years (will be completing 2 years in AUG) with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL and will be clocking even more. It is very very cheap to run, a tankfull of CNG about Rs.200/- runs for over 200 km during winters (AC not used at all) and my dad being a light footed driver manages 220+km on a tankfull. But during summers(Hot Delhi Summers) I manage around 160 to 170 km on tankfull with AC on 90% of the time. So in my opinion its farely cheap but loss in power is enormous, sometimes I even have to switch AC off to get off the red light in first gear. As far as i have experinced CNG should be hooked onto a vehicle with atleast 1000cc.
Hope it helps
Regarding the power part, I do think a sequential system will make a dramatic improvement. I remember the day when I installed an open loop LPG on my Xeta, and she was struggling a lot that the throttle response was surprisingly low. The next day itself I went back to the installer to upgrade it to a closed loop one. Again for CNG/LPG its a trade off between money and power
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmmmm,another day another nudge.
No news here on a fiesta lpg fit.

Has anyone tried this conversion?
i was just thinking about converting my 06 SXi.I've heard its best to use your alternative fuel in stop-&-go traffic,if you dont want to compromise on open road performance(ie, switch to petrol on the highways,stick to lpg on the 5-10 kmph delhi traffic jams).
And reading about advancing the timing,does it revert/adjust when you switch to petrol???
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:41   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hmmmmm,another day another nudge.
No news here on a fiesta lpg fit.

Has anyone tried this conversion?
i was just thinking about converting my 06 SXi.I've heard its best to use your alternative fuel in stop-&-go traffic,if you dont want to compromise on open road performance(ie, switch to petrol on the highways,stick to lpg on the 5-10 kmph delhi traffic jams).
And reading about advancing the timing,does it revert/adjust when you switch to petrol???
I don't know how true it is? but all the installers i met during the ownership of my Accent always said Ford Ikon and Fiesta are not suited to the LPG and CNG kits which are supplied in India, According to them this was due to some difference in design of the Engine. I also asked the same question from a Ford workshop mechanic, even he had the same answer.

I do not know whether it is a fact or a myth but before converting your Fiesta to any of the gas fuels make sure the installer is experienced and has technical know-how to handle a Ford Fiesta.

LPG does not much performance drop, However you may have to switch to Petrol on long drives due to non availability of LPG. The CNG on other side has much weaker performance than the Petrol but is suited to city driving, out on open highways you will like to shift to Petrol for some fast paced driving. Also the CNG has very limited range of less than 200kms and is not available in remote towns as it is supplied through pipelines.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:27   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

@anshuman-Thanks,man.dropping the idea for now.general consensus points to petrol being the only and healthy diet for ford.
Any word on the after market products ,like the"fuel atmizers" etc to improve FE?
i only put power in my cars, and its getting steeper every day!!

Hey, anybody seen autogas's website recently?
there's a tab for fuelcells.
Wow!!
I mean, I WISH!!!

Now, i dont know if theyre doing installs,or just raising awareness(although they ARE asking for people to get in touch with queries)
1.Must be HORRENDOUSLY expensive.
2.gains(savings etc) in terms of percentage look to be the same as CNG
3.Availability will be ,well, a problem at the least(not so much in delhi,if it picks up,no?)

lets see.
Anyone else can put in some additional info?
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:37   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I have driven cars with the fuels sold here extensively. In end i have come to a conclusion for me, Nothing beats the hassle free nature, safety, availability of fuels, reliablity, performance etc of Petrol and Diesel.

The best FE solution is driving with a light foot and proper technique. Today i drove from Noida to Gurgaon early morning with moderate traffic with speeds touching 100kph for small stretches in a Fortuner, with calculated use of accelerator and gears i could squeeze 16kpl for the ~50km trip, normally the car returns 10-12kpl.
Old 10th September 2010, 20:26   #57
BHPian

Hi All,

I am getting a second-hand Ford Fiesta Exi from my friend and I am planning to fit an LPG kit to it. The car is almost 4 years old and has done around 40K on the odo.

Has anyone here fitted an LPG kit to this model of Ford? I did search in the forum, but did not find any details for a Fiesta - is it just not possible? or not worth doing it? (As I can see, many have fitted it on Accents and many hatch backs - but not a Fiesta).

If at all someone had done it or know someone who had done it, please share the details for the benefit of the mass. I am looking for the details like - which kit is used?, where it was sourced from? approximate cost of the whole modification, what is your driving experience after the kit was fitted, etc.

Thanks,
Sunil.

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th September 2010 at 21:02. Reason: Topic moved. Please continue the discussion here.
Old 10th September 2010, 20:54   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hi All,

I am getting a second-hand Ford Fiesta Exi from my friend and I am planning to fit an LPG kit to it. The car is almost 4 years old and has done around 40K on the odo.

Has anyone here fitted an LPG kit to this model of Ford? I did search in the forum, but did not find any details for a Fiesta - is it just not possible? or not worth doing it? (As I can see, many have fitted it on Accents and many hatch backs - but not a Fiesta).

If at all someone had done it or know someone who had done it, please share the details for the benefit of the mass. I am looking for the details like - which kit is used?, where it was sourced from? approximate cost of the whole modification, what is your driving experience after the kit was fitted, etc.

Thanks,
Sunil.
whats your running, on average?
i thought about the lpg/cng conversion as well, but now gave it up.
anywhere you go, it is just not recommended for ford vehicles.
I've learnt in my short ownership so far that this car JUST doesn't like being touched internally, in any respect!!
can be done, but its too much effort.
If you do get it done, go with some vendor who HAS attended to a fiesta before(google mata), and get a reference from him,talk to the owner,if possible meet him, that should sort out your questions about feasibility.

enjoy!!
Old 10th September 2010, 21:00   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,
Sunil.
since you are in bangalore, i suggest you visit Mr. Pandian, in HSR layout.
Directory listing is there to help you out. I have availed his services for tuning & fitment of LPG kits in my palio & now Baleno (sequential kit). This guy is really amazing and the amount of knowledge he has is tremendous on this subject. He can guide you pretty well & i am sure you ll be a happy customer. You can mention my name or team-bhp itself to him.

For fiesta, i suggest you go in for an LPG fitment that is sequential kit. This is a little expensive (around 45k) but worth every penny! I am using the same kit in my baleno, i am able to extract 11kmpl in city with a/c, beat that ! There is very little change in drive characteristics from petrol, and with proper tuning, he can get the vehicle as close as possible to petrol performance. On a recent trip to yelagiri, i have done 160kmph driving on LPG and it still returned me 10kmpl.

I am going to put up a detailed driving experience of sequential kit soon.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Nice review buddy.

By the way, the 2 subs & CNG tank look funny (pun intented)! They have occupied the entire boot!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks