Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2012, 10:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Maintenance Kit - Times of India

I saw the same advertisement in the morning. I doubt how long they would last and if they would be functional at all.

The car tyre repair kit is for repairing tubeless tyres only. You can repair the punctures on your own by using the tools shown there.
Old 14th February 2012, 11:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

I had got this toolkit free from ebay and it is useless. The bits don't stick properly to driver and come off when you most need it.

Bottle jacks are never considered reliable.

Only the compressor might be of some use. A cheap compressor has lasted 4+ years for me.

I suggest you stay away from this and buy what you need from a reliable dealer.
Jaguar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 11:37   #18
BHPian

All these items which are shown in both the advertisements are of very low quality, hence the low cost. I have experienced it first hand with the tool-kit shown in the first picture.

The bits in the tool kit are made of some el-cheapo quality of metal. They are okay for very mild use, but if used a little harshly, the bits tend to scrape off and break. Also the screw driver has a mechanism which can lock one side turning, i.e. it can be rotated in only one direction and the other direction will produce a turrr turrr sound. That mechanism failed with the screw-driver.

I have seen a similar kind of air-compressor in which the end part is made of cast iron ( the part which fixes to the valve ) this will break very soon.

IMHO please have a look at each and every item before you decide to buy it.

The difference is same as between Taparia tools and other unbranded tools, they wont last long.
Old 14th February 2012, 11:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

As others have said this is not worth it.
You can buy them but don't count on them to be reliable. It may or may not work for its intended lifetime, mostly it wont.
Better to buy quality items separately.
Old 14th February 2012, 11:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Forget the deals, save the money. Even if the items were good, you would need them like once in five years.

I have bought two air compressors, both chinese make, one of them tested on my own car tyre after deflating the tyre.

I have several sockets (read: spanner for a layman) fitting several nuts and bolts of my cars. I also have a ratchet handle (something not found with a layman). The last time I needed to use them was a few years back. Nowadays I don't even use it for flat tyres (since there are no flats).

So, quality aside, you are really not going to find any use for any of those tools. If you are dying to become a DIY-er, a good Philips screwdriver (with a flat end and a plus end), or a Taparia line tester with a flat end should be all you need.

Regarding quality, you will find that instead of the vaccuum cleaner, your regular cloth-wiping will clean the car better and faster. If you want something even easier, go for a Jopasu duster which is way better than the vaccuum cleaner advertised here. I once tried to clean the interiors of my Maruti with a household vaccuum cleaner. The task took me the better part of an hour. I could have completed that in about five minutes with a Jopasu duster, or about fifteen minutes with a wet cloth.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:44   #21
BHPian

I've had a bad experience with similar products from the same company. They are of the cheapest quality that can be made. They don't work properly and stop working in some days. Its not worth buying this for the wheels we love and use everyday.
Leistung is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 09:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have been tempted many a times into buying these products earlier after seeing those ads but save myself after listening to the feedback from one of my building mates who fell a prey to the marketing gimmick. It seems the compressor gauge stopped working after 3 times usage, the ratchet got rusted, the sockets became rounded off too soon and lot many issues.

Just keep off these ads. Buy genuine stuff from well known car accessories shops.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:20   #23
BHPian

Think of it like this , Would you buy the mobile phones advertised almost everyday in TOI ?

TOI usually sells , cheap Chinese products from third party dealers. There is guarantee of quality of usability.

Instead of buying from here , get them from a local dealer , even if you get a higher price quote , you at least can touch and feel the product for quality and usability. Also you would have someone to go back to and crib if the products don't turn up good
Old 15th February 2012, 12:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
Think of it like this , Would you buy the mobile phones advertised almost everyday in TOI ?
I bought an HTC Imagio handset from the ToI website. It's a great phone!

The problem is with unbranded goods, not with ToI.

But more importantly, even if the products the OP has mentioned above were of good quality, they are hardly needed.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:23   #25
BHPian

Thanks to OP to have started this thread.
I was toying with the idea of buying these products.

Thanks to all members for their frank opinions.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:14   #26
BHPian

Re: Car Maintenance Kit - Times of India - Thanks!

Hey folks, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences, opinions and suggestions.

The offers look quite tempting and I was actually wondering if I should go ahead and try it out. But not anymore!

As advised, I would rather buy what I need, after seeing it in flesh and get my money's worth. A compact Car Vacuum Cleaner is what I need for now without spending too much.

Thanks,
C_
Old 15th February 2012, 20:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

But Related. Naaptol is known for its not-so-straightforward Deals. Just check for Blackberry 8830 + Naaptol in Google. You would understand. I was planning to buy BB 8830 for my office use as no camera mobile is allowed in my Office.

The Tools as such are good to have in car, but i prefer to buy them individually and branded on a standalone basis.

Car-Vaccuum Cleaner - Black and Decker
Air Compressor - Black and Decker
Toolkit - Bosch

I Personally have used the above and am completely happy with the same
Old 15th February 2012, 21:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nulon Automagic Car Care Set-Car Care Set - Microsys E-commerce Solutions

I'd put my money on this more than anything sold on Times of India.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

These El-cheapo products are far far away from quality and it could be dangerous for car and life. Consider this cheap jack, if it fails to take up the load & repercussions after that.

Each and every things mentioned in this ad is highly substandard quality and all readers/viewers are advised to keep away from such offers.

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th February 2012 at 22:54.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
These El-cheapo products are far far away from quality and it could be dangerous for car and life. Consider this cheap jack, if it fails to take up the load repercussions after that.

Each and every things mentioned in this ad is highly substandard quality and all readers/viewers are advised to keep away from such offers.
My team mate ordered one set two months back and he is yet to get it delivered. He made numerous calls to the TOI call center, but they never responds. Don’t ever buy from here. Go to a tool shop and pick up what is really useful and needed for you.

-HCP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks