Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 12:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
sajjt and R2D2, many thanks for explaining this. It was quite informative and I learned, something new to me, today.

R2D2, not that I am looking to use HIDs in stock headlight assembly without projectors, I just wanted to have the clarity on the difference in the type of bulbs. I absolutely hate the people who drive with High Beams on everytime and i use my car's highbeam only when necassary.
You're welcome Pankaj but you probably got me wrong. You CAN use HIDs in reflectors provided:

a) the headlamp assy is designed to take D2R bulbs

OR

b) You use H4/H7 etc and adjust the headlamp focus to prevent glare.

A HID's light output is very bright and intense. In fact your are warned by the mfr not to look at the beam directly as it could harm your eyes.

Therefore it is important to focus your headlamps properly. Like you, I too drive with only my low beams on and use the high beam only when required. I subscribe to a thought that a blinded oncoming driver is just as dangerous as you being blinded.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:12   #17
BHPian

What all does this 'kit' contain? Is it compatible for Palio MJD? If yes, count me in.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys I guess I am slightly OT here but had some query which was directly related to these HID kits.
I own a Getz Prime and I am very unhappy with those fog lights. I have upgraded the Headlights to Philips 90/100 Crystal Vision and they are sweet!!
But my Fog lights really don't compliment the throw of these headlights. Like Pankaj & R2D2 I hate using my Hi-beam unless some idiot doesn't realize he is blinding oncomers with his powerful highbeam. I was just wondering if you guys could answer few questions:
1. Which are the Bulbs (like H4, H7, etc) on Getz Fog lights?
2. How can I get a Similar White throw from Fog lamps that is Bright but still does not hamper or blind any oncomer?
3. Is it possible to install a HID kit only for Fog lamps without any heat or melting issues?

If the Option 3 is "Possible" then Praful please count me in on the Group Deal.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You're welcome Pankaj but you probably got me wrong. You CAN use HIDs in reflectors provided:

a) the headlamp assy is designed to take D2R bulbs

OR

b) You use H4/H7 etc and adjust the headlamp focus to prevent glare.

A HID's light output is very bright and intense. In fact your are warned by the mfr not to look at the beam directly as it could harm your eyes.

Therefore it is important to focus your headlamps properly. Like you, I too drive with only my low beams on and use the high beam only when required. I subscribe to a thought that a blinded oncoming driver is just as dangerous as you being blinded.

Dude, I defer from the statement that we can use H4/H7 with adjusted focus to prevent the glares. No HL will guarantee glares free beam unless its a HID specific reflector like you mentioned in Corolla Altis Diesel and its the only HID ready car in our country AFAIK.

I guess you meant to say to lower the HL assembly to reduce to an extent. Even though its not giving a glare free beam throw but the beam throw will be lowered and hence its not annoying to the oncomers but in that case what would the drivers visibility? Later on you will be forced to make the HL assy level to higher points as the beam throw wont travel long and the distant vision is being sacrificed. Modern vehicles coming with the Multi Focal Reflectors (MFR) which makes it worse in case of a HID. MFR is designed for a halogen where the light output is 3 times lower than the HID and considering this fact, the given light output has to be distributed evenly to the required angles for a better driving beam.

We can not adjust the focus in a HL assy as its pre set at the factory with the assigned bulb and the light source is the main constraint in designing the reflectors. Halogen and HID light sources are entirely different and can't avoid glares if you are using a HID in a halogen specific reflector. Just compare a normal Halogen bulb dimensions with a HID bulb and imagine where what could be the focus if the bulb length and the filament positions are different. That answers the reason behind the glares mostly.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
What all does this 'kit' contain? Is it compatible for Palio MJD? If yes, count me in.
The kit usually contains :-

2xBulbs
2xBallasts
1xWiring

You can definitely plonk these onto your Palio. You just need to decide where i.e. Hi (H1) / Lo (H7) / Fog (H4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
3. Is it possible to install a HID kit only for Fog lamps without any heat or melting issues?

HID can be installed to the fog only and it runs cooler than stock bulbs usually thus there are no heating/melting issues that I know of.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:22   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
1. Which are the Bulbs (like H4, H7, etc) on Getz Fog lights?
2. How can I get a Similar White throw from Fog lamps that is Bright but still does not hamper or blind any oncomer?

The Getz has an odd fog lamp bulb, it is H17 if I remember correctly. You might be able to make H7 HIDs fit in there, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
You can definitely plonk these onto your Palio. You just need to decide where i.e. Hi (H1) / Lo (H7) / Fog (H4).
How can the fog have an H4 bulb? H4 is high and low beam.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:25   #22
BHPian

Guys sorry for being OT on HIDs with nomal reflectors but I had a strong feeling that there are lot of people running after the white blue light without knowing its pros and cons.

Those who are going for the genuine Philips HID kit there's a security code for checking its genuineness. I've posted this in lighting thread some time back.

Have a look at this.

You can check the kit for genuine Philips product by checking it security label

Each security label has a unique 14 digit serial number & pattern. You can go to the Philips website verification page at Philips Lighting Asia Pacific and enter the number to verify it is a genuine Philips made product.

Another good news is Philips HID kits are available with digital CANBUS compliant ballasts. So those who are going for the HID kits check the manual for whether your car belongs to this category else you may have a tough time to deal with the on board computer as it will be sensing no load at bulb end and treating as blown bulb case will show wrong message and so on.

There are warning cancellors coming as after market fitment for this too.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sajit for this HUGELY helpful post!

With that link we will be able to check each of kits for genuineness!

Last edited by praful : 29th September 2010 at 14:34.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Akshay appreciate your input buddy and yes, I will probably check one last time before goin in with the H7 HID kit for my Gutsy Getzy!!

Sajit really awesome find man and Im sure all of us would beneit from this!!

Praful, if you can do me a favour and confirm with the dealer that H7 HID kit would fit on a Getz Prime Fog Lamp, I'll place an order through you.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:49   #25
BHPian

Hi Praful,
Do you plan to get just HID or the projector kit too?
I had fitted Philips HID in my SX4 from Bimal auto (2-3 months back). They didn't have the projector setup.
When I first approached Bimal, they had only 6000K. After reading one of the threads in our forum, I was kinda convinced I should go for 4300K.
Bimal didn't have that. I called up the B'lore distributor in Lalbagh. He said Philips don't supply 4300K anymore, only ones which are > 6000K.
Wasn't fully convinced, called up Philips customer care. They also said they don't supply 4300K anymore.

Maybe, you could research some more since a Senior BHP-ian has said that anything other than 4300K is useless in rain and fogs.
My personal experience after fitting that has been quite good. I felt more comfortable driving with this than the stock ones.

But I must add one thing here. Without the projector set up there is too much of scattering. That's the only issue I am having now.

Please check whether you can get HID + projector setup together.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

@bkbkr1212 Same story here they were adamant that they don't get 4200K kits. I told them that this would be a group order so I hope they might be able to supply us with a 4200K kit.

I would not be going in for this deal if they have only 6000K kits as I have seen how badly they perform in fog compared to halogens.

This group buy deal is only for the HID kits and there are not projector setups involved in this.

For me since I'd be fitting this on my bike which has a projector lamp I would not be facing issues with blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:21   #27
BHPian

Hi Praful,
Did you check with Philips customer care? They do have online chat facility too. Found quite nice and prompt in answers.
I was told by Philips CC guys that they stopped supplying 4300K.
Believe me, I didn't find any problems with 6000K in rains. And you know how the rains have been in B'lore this year, especially the last week's downpour.
Now I'll wait till Nov-Dec to see how it behaves in fog. Since I was spending 10-10.5K I had done quite a lot of R&D before it. Navin (from Cochin) and Nirmal (from B'lore) gave me all the required information. One of my friends had fitted his Civic with 6000K HID. I saw that too before deciding on mine.

Where did you get your projector setup for bike?

On a lighter note, I must say you bikers are the biggest culprits. You blind all the others on the road (just a joke, bud)
Old 29th September 2010, 15:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Hi Praful,
Did you check with Philips customer care? They do have online chat facility too. Found quite nice and prompt in answers.
I was told by Philips CC guys that they stopped supplying 4300K.
Believe me, I didn't find any problems with 6000K in rains. And you know how the rains have been in B'lore this year, especially the last week's downpour.
Now I'll wait till Nov-Dec to see how it behaves in fog. Since I was spending 10-10.5K I had done quite a lot of R&D before it. Navin (from Cochin) and Nirmal (from B'lore) gave me all the required information. One of my friends had fitted his Civic with 6000K HID. I saw that too before deciding on mine.

Where did you get your projector setup for bike?

On a lighter note, I must say you bikers are the biggest culprits. You blind all the others on the road (just a joke, bud)
Lets see, things are still in the nascent stage. If its possible to source a 4200K kit then well and good, else would have to take a call on what to do!

The 6000K bulbs when compared to the stock halogens formed a sort of a white wall in fogs. In comparison the relatively weaker stock halogens penetrated the fog more.

My bike comes with a projector setup in its stock form. I agree about the mindless idiots on two wheels who don't know the difference between Hi & Lo beam. There are a lot on them on 4 wheels as well though!
Old 29th September 2010, 15:39   #29
BHPian

H7 HID Kit for my Pulsar 220

I would be interested, if we are able to get a decent discount. I need a H7 kit for my Pulsar 220's projector setup. Need only 1 Ballast, 1 H7 Bulb & wiring. Plan to have HID only on the low beam.

Cheers,
Sats
Old 29th September 2010, 16:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Philips stopped manufacturing 4300k HID's. Reason why people still get it is that many dealers have old stocks.
Since Philips HID's are on the higher side, customers opted for 6000k so that it will look different. Going in for 4300k means other people wont even find the difference between these and stock (atleast for people not crazy about cars). So people are like, why investing so much money in bulbs even though they look the same. Because of this, many customers started going in for 6000k and the demand for 4300k HID's dropped drastically. This is the reason why Philips stopped manufacturing 4300k.

This way customers can get that "bling" factor and feels satisfied with every penny they spend.

Cheers.!

PS - am in for this purchase. Kindly let me know whether these are available for Swift fogs.
Thanks Mate.!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks