Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2005, 19:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper.

@ Satya - This process works even better on ventilated discs. Only ventilated discs dont solve the fading as most people are facing.

wow...so how long does this whole process take ...and how much does it cost ?????

and this will require skilled labour as when u drill holes,one end of the disc will be rough beacsue of the drill bit coming out ..so it will have to be polished perfectly to remove the rough edges..

Last edited by speedsatya : 5th December 2005 at 19:39.
Old 5th December 2005, 19:35   #17
BHPian

Just a thought...
Braking works better when the surface area in contact is larger. i.e. larger pads and discs would provide better breaking. This in turn also means more heat being generated.

Now, by cross drilling, we would be reducing the effective surface area of the pads touching the discs... so, cooling would sure be better...
BUT does this mean we are reducing the breaking efficiency ???
meaning Weaker brakes ???

Last edited by falcon : 5th December 2005 at 19:36.
Old 5th December 2005, 19:49   #18
BANNED

Hey Satya,

I know thats why I said it almost takes a day. I charge approx 1500 including labour for opening and refitting the discs.

@Falcon - No infact the brakes bite better but you reduce the life of your brake pads by say 5-10%.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 5th December 2005 at 19:51.
Old 5th December 2005, 20:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
@Falcon - No infact the brakes bite better but you reduce the life of your brake pads by say 5-10%.
Thanks for the clarification Viper.
Wanted to get the brakes on my Contessa overhauled... will ask about this as well when I go to the garage.

Falcon
Old 5th December 2005, 20:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

As you mentioned brake system overhaul includes new pads and new brake fluid and sometimes new disc rotors if theyre in a bad shape. Ventilated discs do help in quicker heat disspiation.

Brake fluid has a certain boiling point i think it is around 130 or 150 degrees ill check up on exact point later. Old brake fluid keeps getting contaminated with moisture which slowly brings its boiling point down towards the 100 degree water mark thus decresing its capacity to provide efficient force. I have a Brake fluid tester with me which i got from germany for the same purpose.

Also do check what specification fluid your car runs on. Most of the new ones are on DOT 3 which is the first recommended upgrade if your car uses DOT 2.

Regards,

Arush
Old 5th December 2005, 20:09   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
As you mentioned brake system overhaul includes new pads and new brake fluid and sometimes new disc rotors if theyre in a bad shape. Ventilated discs do help in quicker heat disspiation.

Brake fluid has a certain boiling point i think it is around 130 or 150 degrees ill check up on exact point later. Old brake fluid keeps getting contaminated with moisture which slowly brings its boiling point down towards the 100 degree water mark thus decresing its capacity to provide efficient force. I have a Brake fluid tester with me which i got from germany for the same purpose.

Also do check what specification fluid your car runs on. Most of the new ones are on DOT 3 which is the first recommended upgrade if your car uses DOT 2.

Regards,

Arush
Hey Arush,

I think most new cars are either on DOT 3 or DOT 4. The best being DOT 4.

Viper
Old 5th December 2005, 20:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

yes viper i guess i goofed up there, dot 3 is standard, upgrade is dot 4. thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks