Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 17:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Auto shops on JC Road, Bangalore!

I got my Opel Corsa transported from Gurgaon to Bangalore in January this year; and as expected, there were quite some things that went wrong viz. loose external mirror, dysfunctional music system etc.

As legacy I have inherited from my dad, I called up all the Opel showrooms, none seemed to have the external mirror for Corsa at that time. The music system fitted in the car was from USA (Clarion) to no showroom here. I showed it to some car audio showrooms and they threw up their hands saying "I should get it repaired from US itself".

And then my friend said, lets go to JC Road. The moment you enter that lane, you'll be hounded by kids spelling out the entire list of services they offer right from mud flaps to music systems.

Now, the music system was behaving rather strangely. The power supply to it was on, I got the standby display but after inserting the front panel, none of the buttons worked. However, it would work if a CD was inserted without the front panel on and on removing it, the radio would work!

I caught hold of one kid and told him the problem. He went and called another young chap who was an "electrician". He took the music system out and we went to his shop. He dismantled the system and began troubleshooting. After 3-4 hours, he finally figured the problem out. There was a faulty Zener diode (size = 1mm) that was allowing current to flow both ways. And there! the system started working again. When I asked the chap, he said he had left school after 10th and learnt these things from his father. He charged 400 for it. But, what was commendable was the fact that he kept on experimenting till he knew the problem.
For the mirror, another kid took me to this shop where the owner had stocked up tail-lights, head-lamps, every other lamp of every car and also worked on mirrors. He changed the sprockets on which the mirror and the base move and the mirror too was fixed. He charged 500 (I agree, quite more than what I felt was appropriate) while a new mirror would have cost 1000.

What I have learnt, for some things which don't require spare parts, these workers at JC Road are just as proficient (and economical) as those in a company workshop.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 18:11   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I got my Opel Corsa transported from Gurgaon to Bangalore in January this year; and as expected, there were quite some things that went wrong viz. loose external mirror, dysfunctional music system etc.

As legacy I have inherited from my dad, I called up all the Opel showrooms, none seemed to have the external mirror for Corsa at that time. The music system fitted in the car was from USA (Clarion) to no showroom here. I showed it to some car audio showrooms and they threw up their hands saying "I should get it repaired from US itself".

And then my friend said, lets go to JC Road. The moment you enter that lane, you'll be hounded by kids spelling out the entire list of services they offer right from mud flaps to music systems.

Now, the music system was behaving rather strangely. The power supply to it was on, I got the standby display but after inserting the front panel, none of the buttons worked. However, it would work if a CD was inserted without the front panel on and on removing it, the radio would work!

I caught hold of one kid and told him the problem. He went and called another young chap who was an "electrician". He took the music system out and we went to his shop. He dismantled the system and began troubleshooting. After 3-4 hours, he finally figured the problem out. There was a faulty Zener diode (size = 1mm) that was allowing current to flow both ways. And there! the system started working again. When I asked the chap, he said he had left school after 10th and learnt these things from his father. He charged 400 for it. But, what was commendable was the fact that he kept on experimenting till he knew the problem.
For the mirror, another kid took me to this shop where the owner had stocked up tail-lights, head-lamps, every other lamp of every car and also worked on mirrors. He changed the sprockets on which the mirror and the base move and the mirror too was fixed. He charged 500 (I agree, quite more than what I felt was appropriate) while a new mirror would have cost 1000.

What I have learnt, for some things which don't require spare parts, these workers at JC Road are just as proficient (and economical) as those in a company workshop.

Happy to know you had your problem solved there.

But not everytime you get lucky at J C Road, Take my words. Try the Authorised service shops for your car. Lot of imitation brands available, which spoils your car rather than keeping it in shape.

For non vital spares like tail light lenses, horns, glass winders and others J C road is fine, but for things related to engine, gearbox,suspension and driveshafts , J C Road could cause more damage than fix.

Take care.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 18:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Happy to know you had your problem solved there.

But not everytime you get lucky at J C Road, Take my words. Try the Authorised service shops for your car. Lot of imitation brands available, which spoils your car rather than keeping it in shape.

For non vital spares like tail light lenses, horns, glass winders and others J C road is fine, but for things related to engine, gearbox,suspension and driveshafts , J C Road could cause more damage than fix.

Take care.
Oh! Trust me on that, I have gone to company showrooms for as little as even changing bulbs in tail-lights.

I had to go to JC Rd coz the Opel showrooms did not have the mirror and no one seemed to know how to repair the system.

But yes, the guys at JC Rd have very crude knowledge and of course, no accountability!
Old 7th October 2010, 18:31   #4
BHPian

JC road is THE PLACE!
got all my accessories related work done from there
from my speakers to the sunfilm!
but it's about knowing somebody out there or chances are high of getting duped with duplicates!
Old 7th October 2010, 18:33   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
JC road is THE PLACE!
got all my accessories related work done from there
from my speakers to the sunfilm!
but it's about knowing somebody out there or chances are high of getting duped with duplicates!
More than 50 of my known people have gone to JC Road for ICE set-up, and 90% of them have got duped with duplicates, and prices similar to best guys in town

Not JC Road for ICE. NEVER NEVER
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 18:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
More than 50 of my known people have gone to JC Road for ICE set-up, and 90% of them have got duped with duplicates, and prices similar to best guys in town
Sorry for this OT question, but can you tell me in very layman terms what ICE setup actually is; I read about this only very recently I tried searching on the forum but got very advanced threads.
Old 7th October 2010, 18:53   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry for this OT question, but can you tell me in very layman terms what ICE setup actually is; I read about this only very recently I tried searching on the forum but got very advanced threads.
Simple anna

In Car Entertainment
Old 7th October 2010, 18:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Simple anna

In Car Entertainment
ok.

I shall now find a spoon to drown myself into!

So in this context, yea, looking at the shops there, you'd need to be very resourceful to ensure you get the genuine stuff.

The guy I got my system repaired from offered to take it back and give me a "Pioner" music system with a USB slot for 2k extra. The internal motherboards and parts can be easily changed and local ones fitted.
Old 7th October 2010, 19:19   #9
BANNED

[
Quote:
ok.

I shall now find a spoon to drown myself into!

So in this context, yea, looking at the shops there, you'd need to be very resourceful to ensure you get the genuine stuff.

The guy I got my system repaired from offered to take it back and give me a "Pioner" music system with a USB slot for 2k extra. The internal motherboards and parts can be easily changed and local ones fitted.

For your reference, visit the below link.

Team-BHP Directory - Team-BHP

You are already there, Good
Old 7th October 2010, 19:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not JC Road for ICE. NEVER NEVER
+1 and hence whenever something goes kaput with the ICE or an accessory within days of fitting, haven't we all heard "Oh, JC Road maaala??".

I usually viist this place for Tail Lamp assembly, tail/brake Bulbs etc (again genuine Lumax Stockists mostly) or carpetting materials and stick to Authorised counter sales shop for rest of the purchases otherwise.
Old 7th October 2010, 19:27   #11
BHPian

Out of curiosity, why did have it transported all the way from Gurgaon. Did you own this car in Gurgaon or you brought it from someone.
Old 7th October 2010, 19:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Out of curiosity, why did have it transported all the way from Gurgaon. Did you own this car in Gurgaon or you brought it from someone.
Well, family lives in Gurgaon and I recently came to Bangalore. Hence, got the car along.
And just coz you've asked : NEVER transport your car if you shift; drive down! Whoever you transport it through, something is bound to go wrong.
Old 7th October 2010, 20:33   #13
BANNED

Let me also tell you that there are a couple of shops at JC Road who supply OEM spares to our famed ASCs.
Also, outlets like CAR Automobiles, General Motors, Nitin Automobiles etc are very old and are known for procuring and selling genuine spares for realistic prices.
You just need to know the right places and the right people out there.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 20:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ adding 'Popular Automobiles' to your list as this one too falls in the league of shops you mentioned. Have seen them stock genuine suspension struts, bearings, Spark plugs, Wipers and even ICE elements(less choice though). Additionally, all these shops hand over a proper bill including taxes applicable which is NEVER the case with most of the accessories shop on JC road or elsewhere.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Whatever it is, these guys are sure skilled and hard working !! Who doesn't want to make quick bucks? from the top leaders to the lowly working class?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks