Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 23:03   #1
BANNED

Cruze Roof - Paint it black, or apply film?

Guys wanna do the roof top of my white cruze black, wanted opinion whether to go for a paint job or install a film.
spoke to the film guys
a- llumar they said there is a black film called mpi 900 which will cost me rs175 per sq ft plus installation charge extra.
warranty 3 years.
b- 3m- they said there is a film which they will have to die it in black color and will cost me rs240 per sq ft. warranty here is also 3 years

the best part is that both guys are saying it wont affect the paint for sure.

please help
Old 13th October 2010, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep Sahni View Post
Guys wanna do the roof top of my white cruze black, wanted opinion whether to go for a paint job or install a film.
spoke to the film guys
a- llumar they said there is a black film called mpi 900 which will cost me rs175 per sq ft plus installation charge extra.
warranty 3 years.
b- 3m- they said there is a film which they will have to die it in black color and will cost me rs240 per sq ft. warranty here is also 3 years

the best part is that both guys are saying it wont affect the paint for sure.

please help
I would suggest you paint the roof black. I have no idea how they plan on installing a black film on a white roof and expect it to look totally black. Besides, I am sure that in the long run, there are chances of the film either fading and losing its color or peeling off making the car look ugly. However, the advantage with the film is that you can probably toggle between a black or white roof as per you mood but that is if his claim of paint not getting damaged is true. And it is no an expensive issue either.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about using black vinyl? I think Vinyl will not damagae the paint, and would look good - you can always go back to original color when you feel, without any issues.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
What about using black vinyl? I think Vinyl will not damagae the paint, and would look good - you can always go back to original color when you feel, without any issues.
ditto on the black vinyl. that would be the easiest and cheapest method to get the look you want. 3M makes vinyl as well, shouldn't have to color a film. only consideration to keep in mind is that if you ever peel off the vinyl the paint under it will be brighter than exposed panels due to natural fading.
Old 15th October 2010, 03:07   #5

Instead of that, why dont you use carbonfibre Vinyl. Do you want the contact info of the guy who does it?? This is how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Cruze Roof - Paint it black, or apply film?-31431_10150189691020595_522290594_12309607_7396808_n.jpg  

Old 15th October 2010, 09:03   #6
BHPian

any sort of stickering on the car is going to look good only for a limited period of time because it tends to peel off from the edges and is prone to tears besides when they apply the stickers they tend to use a blade to trim /shape the edges which cut the original paint so when in future if you remove the sticker you will see those deep scratches on the body, my advice do not do this as for painting matt black requires a lot of constant cleaning for it to look good you will end up with a shabbylook every two hours the car is parked anywhere.(i say this from experience)besides when it fades god help you
Old 15th October 2010, 11:13   #7
BHPian

My vote goes for paint.Which film are you reffering to-matte black of gloss black?Which colour is your cruze ?
@ cyrus- Nice ,hot dio
Regards
Sreehari
Old 15th October 2010, 11:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Instead of that, why dont you use carbonfibre Vinyl. Do you want the contact info of the guy who does it?? This is how it looks.

is this type of carbonfibre Vinyl available in pune??

Can you please mention the address here. It will help every member of forum.
Old 15th October 2010, 14:19   #9
BANNED

my car color is white.
was thinking to go for vinyl but will find out the price.
i can paint to but was worried as the car has a sunroof also the paint person should really be good to protect my sunroof

what will be the difference in carbon fiber and vinyl cost wise.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:57   #10
BHPian

Why would you want a black roof? Is it for aesthetic purposes only or does it have any advantages? Wouldn't your car heat up if you painted the roof black?
Old 15th October 2010, 21:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Hey Cyrus, I'd love this CF on my white punto. Please post the details of the guys who do this or PM. Any idea about their availability in bangalore?
Old 15th October 2010, 21:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Any idea about their availability in bangalore?
If you are serious about it then visit Shivajinagar, opposite to Colonel Hill School on Broadway. He is a pro in stickering.

One of his jobs..!
Attached Thumbnails
Cruze Roof - Paint it black, or apply film?-dsc08111.jpg  

Cruze Roof - Paint it black, or apply film?-dsc08121.jpg  

EARTHed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2010, 21:55   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Why would you want a black roof? Is it for aesthetic purposes only or does it have any advantages? Wouldn't your car heat up if you painted the roof black?

i just think i car will look sporty by doing it black, yeah you r right it may heat up. any other solution.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
If you are serious about it then visit Shivajinagar, opposite to Colonel Hill School on Broadway. He is a pro in stickering.

One of his jobs..!
Thanks a lot, Looks like a neat job! Any more details about this guy? name, contact details, shop-name, prices?

This may sound foolish and i hope and the rest will bear with me, but does he really have carbon fibre vinyls or are these the plastic coated stickers with some CF-like print on it? I ask this because i understand CF is expensive and needs good amount knowledge and expertise to apply correctly... Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
any sort of stickering on the car is going to look good only for a limited period of time because it tends to peel off from the edges and is prone to tears besides when they apply the stickers they tend to use a blade to trim /shape the edges which cut the original paint so when in future if you remove the sticker you will see those deep scratches on the body, my advice do not do this as for painting matt black requires a lot of constant cleaning for it to look good you will end up with a shabbylook every two hours the car is parked anywhere.(i say this from experience)besides when it fades god help you
Not if done correctly. I have had it for months now and nothing has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
My vote goes for paint.Which film are you reffering to-matte black of gloss black?Which colour is your cruze ?
@ cyrus- Nice ,hot dio
Regards
Sreehari
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
is this type of carbonfibre Vinyl available in pune??

Can you please mention the address here. It will help every member of forum.
I dont know. Maybe you can get it from bbay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep Sahni View Post
i just think i car will look sporty by doing it black, yeah you r right it may heat up. any other solution.
Nonsense. What about Black cars then? Think please.

The guy who does it in bombay: Chirayu from Extreme Graphics. 09769480999. Give my reference.
Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks