Team-BHP - Import duty on auto parts?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Import duty on auto parts? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/9117-import-duty-auto-parts-2.html)

I have ordered parts for an old BMW from Malaysia. they were a set of piston rings, engine bearings and engine mounts. My father had paid for the package so the bill and payment was in his name and it was addressed to my name, and was also gift wrapped :uncontrol hence i believe it would fall under the gift category.
the total cost of the parts was Rs.12,500 and with shipping Rs.14,500.
when it reached the bombay customs they sent a letter home stating that they require my IEC(whic i didnt understand back then), proof of payment and other such documents. i sent whatever i had to an agent.
after 2 days of phone calls and the agent running around, i find out that they expect me to pay a minimum Rs.5000 fine AND 41% duty since the value was more than Rs.2000. they are obviously trying to take me for a ride and I have too few options
what am i supposed to do?

Mods please merge with above post
Edit: not a gift as payment was from India, but still I'm an individual, I don't see the point in the fine on top of the duty, that too at 41% duty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee (Post 3443293)
I have ordered parts for an old BMW from Malaysia. they were a set of piston rings, engine bearings and engine mounts. My father had paid for the package so the bill and payment was in his name and it was addressed to my name, and was also gift wrapped :uncontrol hence i believe it would fall under the gift category.
the total cost of the parts was Rs.12,500 and with shipping Rs.14,500.
when it reached the bombay customs they sent a letter home stating that they require my IEC(whic i didnt understand back then), proof of payment and other such documents. i sent whatever i had to an agent.
after 2 days of phone calls and the agent running around, i find out that they expect me to pay a minimum Rs.5000 fine AND 41% duty since the value was more than Rs.2000. they are obviously trying to take me for a ride and I have too few options
what am i supposed to do?

You do not need IEC etc., if you are a individual importer. The agents are taking you for a ride. Did you not order through fedex?
The duty will be around 30%(or less) including basic duty and CVD
Unless you are importing banned items, there is no issue.
Who was the shipper(Fedex etc.,?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3443349)
You do not need IEC etc., if you are a individual importer. The agents are taking you for a ride. Did you not order through fedex?
The duty will be around 30%(or less) including basic duty and CVD
Unless you are importing banned items, there is no issue.
Who was the shipper(Fedex etc.,?)

I know, they might think I'm a garage owner or distributor or something, or maybe just messing with me because of my gift wrapping stunt. I let the seller send it however they wished, did expect all of this, shipper was "pos lajus"

I believe the duty is around 30% too, have sent a more competent agent now, hope it works out, will know tomorrow or day after. right now I'm left with no choice, stuck at home cuz of exams and the car has only done 1k km(2 months ago), didn't get to enjoy it, I just want the parts here so I can start fixing it! will pay up the fine if required, if I argue they could add some other duty/fine/money to grease palms.

Dear Abhishek

Ebay is not problem as long as you find right part.
recently i have bought lancer (Depo) headlight from ebay.com
which cost me just 11600/rs no shipping or other charges. Got it delivered within 10 days. and quality is also good.

I ordered few fairing plastic parts from Germany, the package was shipped with UPS Expresss. I thought the package would be delivered to me with max 30% custom duty( this was the case last time I ordered part but shipping was with DHL). The package is stuck at custom and UPS has sent me details and confirmation to be signed with 42% to clear this with timeline of 5-7 days!

Does tax structure changed recently or I am now taken for ride here? The cost with 42% instead of 30% is not making any sense plus I am yet to receive the package, currently UPS is not providing and delivery date.

Any comment, suggestions either on the duty or getting the clearance done faster ?

-Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramods (Post 4193514)
....The package is stuck at custom and UPS has sent me details and confirmation to be signed with 42% to clear this with timeline of 5-7 days!

Does tax structure changed recently or I am now taken for ride here? The cost with 42% instead of 30% is not making any sense plus I am yet to receive the package, currently UPS is not providing and delivery date.

Any comment, suggestions either on the duty or getting the clearance done faster ?

-Pramod

The duty is now 42 %.
https://trak-in.cdn.ampproject.org/c...stom-duty/amp/

The Mumbai UPS office had called me couple of weeks ago, to get my telephonic confirmation to go ahead with regards on payment of 42 % duty. On confirmation, UPS paid duty and collected duty on delivery, in a couple of days.
No documents to be submitted or uploaded, unlike FedEx /DHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happysmiles (Post 4193550)

Thanks for the update, a jump of 12% :deadhorse for personal use, does this means corporate/professional import duty is still the same and no increase there?
Nonetheless have given my consent to UPS to get the package cleared. They are still saying it may take 5-7 days if there is no more questions from custom officials.

-Pramod

Is it 42% or 30%. I am trying to place an order via hondapartsnow.com, and its calculation show about 30% as duty and Tax. They use Fedex.

Hi, bumping the old thread. I had imported a shock absorber in 2018 jan. There was a leak in it and the UK seller was fine to replace the shocks, but I have to bear the shipping costs.
My question is when it comes to India, is there a customs duty on it, since I have not paid any amount to the seller. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

I am trying to import a tuning box for my Baleno RS from UK. The cost of the module is 175GBP. What is the import duty that I am expected to pay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VarunVelavan (Post 4864255)
I am trying to import a tuning box for my Baleno RS from UK. The cost of the module is 175GBP. What is the import duty that I am expected to pay?

Approximately 30% on the total of cost + shipping, if coming via Fedex/DHL/TNT. I would stick to Fedex and DHL only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 4864559)
Approximately 30% on the total of cost + shipping, if coming via Fedex/DHL/TNT. I would stick to Fedex and DHL only.

Thnaks v1p3r. I have chosen DHL for shipping and the same has been recommended by the tuner as well. :)

Hey, I have ordered Morimoto D2S projectors, Bulbs and Ballast from The Retrofit Source USA.
I was searching for Import duty on many sites and it varies from 28% to 41%.
Anyone with experience of importing car light parts from abroad or information about the custom duty charged?
Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akib Khan (Post 4944086)
Hey, I have ordered Morimoto D2S projectors, Bulbs and Ballast from The Retrofit Source USA.
I was searching for Import duty on many sites and it varies from 28% to 41%.
Anyone with experience of importing car light parts from abroad or information about the custom duty charged?
Thanks in advance.

You should have asked the seller if they can show a lower value of the goods. Many do that, especially when business is down these days. Anyway, do keep us updated on how much you end up paying when it all arrives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 4953082)
You should have asked the seller if they can show a lower value of the goods. Many do that, especially when business is down these days. Anyway, do keep us updated on how much you end up paying when it all arrives.

I requested the seller to either lower the value or mark it as warranty replacement but they denied.
Yes will surely update once I receive the goods.