Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 17:23   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3

We had a unique Team-BHP meet last evening. Location = KS Motorsport's dyno. To know all about how dynos work, click here

Participants:

- My Civic with a performance exhaust
- Akshay1234's Accord V6
- FastLove's remapped Linea
- Netarchie's Fusion with a killer carputer system
- Issigonis' VW Jetta DSG

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3754.jpg

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3757.jpg

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3760.jpg

They say big guys hustle their way in first. Thus, the dyno runs started with the big daddy V6. Akshay1234 got his pre-worshipped Accord earlier this year, and his first mod has been a true cold air intake. The install & plumbing is top class, the air-filter actually sucks in outside air from behind the bumper.

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3742.jpg

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3744.jpg

Getting strapped up, external fan on and front wheels on the dyno:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3766.jpg

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3768.jpg

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3771.jpg

Meaty Enkei 10 spoke alloys:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3773.jpg

The result, a whopping 190 BHP at the wheels! Karan said that old school automatics (read = non DSGs) can lose close to 20% from the crank to the wheel. Of course, the larger the engine, the better the gains from a true CAI. Akshay's car seems to have gained 6 - 8 BHP from the cold air intake. The wicked snarl above 3,000 rpms is an added bonus.
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-graph-3333.jpg

Cars lined up outside the dyno. My Civic went in next, click here to see the results.

Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3745.jpg

The stock twin-pipe look on my free flow:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3747.jpg

Next, FastLove's Linea running a Kiirus remap:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3784.jpg

We cannot comment on this dyno, or the gains from Kiirus' remap as Fastlove's clutch was busted. I commented so immediately upon driving his car, and Karan mentioned some weird slipping when his Linea was on the dyno. I would expect 80 BHP at the wheels from a stock Linea. Fastlove is going to get a new clutch and come back for another dyno run:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-graph-80-fiat.jpg

With over 70,000 kms on the odo, that's one healthy Fusion. A 12.xx% drivetrain loss resulted in 88 BHP at the wheels:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3788.jpg
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-graph-5591fusion.jpg

Wicked shot of Netarchie's carputer system:
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-30102010441.jpg

The VW DSGs are as high-tech as they come. 90.xx BHP for the Jetta and get this, we couldn't even revv it as high as we wanted to. Tried in "S" mode as well as manual mode, but the Jetta wouldn't go into the redline, else it would have clocked an even higher number. Compare the torque curve to the petrols above, and you'll know why so many are converting from petrol heads to diesel heads!
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-img_3791.jpg
Accord V6, mapped Linea, Fusion & Jetta on the dyno! UPDATE: Comparo on pg3-graph-jetta.jpg

A video of the cars on the dyno:

Thanks to Rehaan for the pictures & video.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st November 2011 at 17:02. Reason: YT Fix
Old 31st October 2010, 17:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

how much is it for a single run ? how can you determine what the gains are if you havent done a run without the mods(V6, linea) does Karan have charts for stock cars or are youll just assuming ?

rev
Old 31st October 2010, 17:41   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
how much is it for a single run ?
1,800 bucks.

Quote:
how can you determine what the gains are if you havent done a run without the mods(V6, linea) does Karan have charts for stock cars or are youll just assuming ?
As you know, I got my Civic dyno'ed when stock and now, after each mod. However, none of the other cars had a stock run, thus we're making safe assumptions.
Old 31st October 2010, 18:06   #4
CPH
BHPian

I take it the Linea is 1.4 16v normally aspirated engine.

Could you pleaee tell me what ECU is fitted to the Linea.

I take it it isn't a Bosch ME 7.6.3 if it is mapped.

Is it a re-map or is it a piggy back/tuning box?
Old 31st October 2010, 18:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow interesting thread - 4 cars posted, and GTO's Civic to come :-) Looks like we will have more dyno charts in the days to come, and that's great if the mods are checked on dyno before and after (for those who take the path in the future).
Old 31st October 2010, 19:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1,800 bucks.

As you know, I got my Civic dyno'ed when stock and now, after each mod. However, none of the other cars had a stock run, thus we're making safe assumptions.
Yes.was aware of your civic dyno run but was wondering how youll came to the conclusion that the CAI on the accord increased it by 6-8 bhp like you ll mentioned.

rev
Old 31st October 2010, 19:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I take it the Linea is 1.4 16v normally aspirated engine.
Yes, stock rating is 89 BHP.

Quote:
I take it it isn't a Bosch ME 7.6.3 if it is mapped.
Don't know. Will try to get this info from someone in Fiat.

Quote:
Remap from Kiirus In | ECU Remap, Car Remapping, Chip Tuning, Fuel Economy Tuning. They are dealers / distributors & source their remaps from some Italian firm. Fastlove knows who, I'll let him fill in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
and that's great if the mods are checked on dyno before and after (for those who take the path in the future).
Absolutely! That's exactly what I plan to do with my Civic and hope others follow too. Before & After is really the best way to use a dyno.

Quote:

Yes.was aware of your civic dyno run but was wondering how youll came to the conclusion that the CAI on the accord increased it by 6-8 bhp like you ll mentioned.
Revtech, int'l Accord V6 forums report 17 - 18% drivetrain loss for the USA 7th gen Accord AT. Remember, this is an Automatic and hence, the losses will be higher than in a manual.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2010 at 19:38.
Old 31st October 2010, 20:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Firstly nice meeting you GTO and all of you guys. GTOs Civic sounds awesome, thought I dont know how he'll choose between his ICE and the exhaust. Or maybe when the ICE dips he can listen to the exhaust .

I took GTOs Civic for a spin and the low end has certainly improved. Meanwhile I think he had quite a bit of fun taking my Accord for a spin.

And Karan has quite a professional set up, and efficient guys manning the dyno. Each car was on and off in like 5 minutes.

Now about my car. 190hp at the wheels, calculating transmission loss as 20% the crank horsepower would be 238bhp, which is more than Honda said. Honda said the car was 221bhp. Now there are 2 reasons for this.
- The car in 07 was given an upgraded transmission, but the horsepower figures were never revised, they still kept it at 221bhp.
- The K&N CAI has definitely bumped up the power, maybe-maybe not the 10hp that K&N claims. 6-8bhp given by GTO is just a rough estimate. But I know for sure the K&N made a noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post

rev
Old 31st October 2010, 21:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that the cars went to the Dyno. Looking forward to updates.

Especially curious of the Kiirus remapped one

Cheerio

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 31st October 2010 at 21:01.
Old 31st October 2010, 23:25   #10
BHPian

It was indeed a great meet, and nice meeting up with you GTO and the other guys as well.
Had fun last evening. Loved both the vtec's screaming on the dyno ;-)
The SQ of GTO's civic's music system is really awesome with amazing sound clarity.

Rehaan thanks for the excellent photos and the videos.
Old 1st November 2010, 00:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Really nice of all you guys to get your cars dyno-ed.
But if any of you had the torque curve before the mod, you could have an idea about the exact gain due to the upgrade.

But the result format is pretty much horrible. In fact unusable. Or I am totally wrong.
Min RPM is 4000 in all the cars except VW. Well it should have been from 800 or 1000. Isnt it? Did they check power only after 4000 RPM? I doubt it. I think its a typo.

Now a few questions I have in my mind?
In which gear was the test performed? Was it done with the throttle fully pressed (Wide open throttle)? Is proper warm up done so that oil temperature and tyre pressure is OK? And most importantly was the car speed and dyno speed matched to ensure no slipping at the tyres?
Why was Jetta not reaching the redline even in manual mode? (I dont have much experience with AT)
Old 1st November 2010, 02:15   #12
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Really nice of all you guys to get your cars dyno-ed.
But if any of you had the torque curve before the mod, you could have an idea about the exact gain due to the upgrade.

But the result format is pretty much horrible. In fact unusable. Or I am totally wrong.
Min RPM is 4000 in all the cars except VW. Well it should have been from 800 or 1000. Isnt it? Did they check power only after 4000 RPM? I doubt it. I think its a typo.

Now a few questions I have in my mind?
In which gear was the test performed? Was it done with the throttle fully pressed (Wide open throttle)? Is proper warm up done so that oil temperature and tyre pressure is OK? And most importantly was the car speed and dyno speed matched to ensure no slipping at the tyres?
Why was Jetta not reaching the redline even in manual mode? (I dont have much experience with AT)
Tyre slip has nothing got to do with the settings on the dyno. The tyres drive the dyno roller. If you have a mis match between rpm on the graph and the actual crank rpm, the peak power will still be the same as with no mis match. It is just the torque readings will be in accurate and the power in relation to the rpm. The Land and Sea dyno (the make KSM is using) has got an easy feature to set the crank rpm

The Land and Sea Dyno has rather heavy rollers, which require full throttle operation if you want to finish the runs before the end of the day. However the ECU might not consider it as full throttle as some of the cars are equipped with electronic throttle control.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:31   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on this excellent thread always wanted to see something like this. What i would like to add is that when we compare torques of diesels with petrol we should not forget that they produce max power at lower rpm so will have taller gearing so wont produce that significant a difference of torque on wheel as we see on paper.
For example the VW produces max power at 4000 rpm so comparing its torque with a similar powered petrol which produces max power at 6000 rpm the diesels torque figure will get divided by 1.5 if we are to compares apples to apples.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post

It is a ECU Remap from Home: Piasini Engineering Kiirus is the local dealer for the same.

@GTO @Rehaan @akshay1234 - It was pleasure meeting up with you all.

I am eager to know the Stock Linea Dyno figures as i had not done a dyno before the remap. But i feel if we assume a 15% loss on the Wheel (which is what Karan suggested) ..the Stock Linea should be giving Figures of 76 odd BHP .

I will be checking on the clutch this week and look forward to meet you guys again.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:31   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Firstly nice meeting you GTO and all of you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
It was indeed a great meet, and nice meeting up with you GTO and the other guys as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
@GTO @Rehaan @akshay1234 - It was pleasure meeting up with you all.
Great meeting all of you. Next time, lets club an early dinner with the dyno run. The evening anyways ran later than expected.

Quote:
GTOs Civic sounds awesome
Thanks! It took some fine-tuning on Automech's part and I'm really happy with the end result.

Quote:
Meanwhile I think he had quite a bit of fun taking my Accord for a spin.
As I mentioned, the mid-range is violent! The car just shoots forward menacingly. Your cars in even better shape than mine which I thought was as good as new.

Quote:
The car in 07 was given an upgraded transmission, but the horsepower figures were never revised, they still kept it at 221bhp.
There wouldn't be a difference in the BHP rating, if only the transmission was upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
I will be checking on the clutch this week and look forward to meet you guys again
Awesome. Hopefully my K&N Typhoon is in and we'll run the Civic together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks