Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 14:52   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust

This is part II of the series where I intend to dyno my car before and after each modification. Here's a Link to my stock dyno run thread. And if you want to know more about how dynos work, read through this thread.

• The R18 Civic's block has integrated headers. Thus, and unfortunately, Indian Civic owners cannot fit after-market headers. I remember what a major difference the GReddy headers brought to my OHC Vtec.

• No headers, yet I got the Civic kitted with an Automech performance exhaust, running from the engine to the tail. Full stainless steel for maximum life. At the rear, I retained the OEM Civic look (which I really like).

Safely strapped up:
Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img_3779.jpg

That's Karan of KS Motorsports:
Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-30102010437.jpg

Top notch dyno setup. Here's a close up of his laptop screen + dyno software:
Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-30102010442.jpg

On the 1st run, we got 120.6 BHP at the wheels:

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-1st-run.jpg

Then, a final run when the car was warmed up, the Civic churned out 121.5 BHP at the wheels.

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-last-run.jpg

Results

• The performance exhaust brought 4 - 5 BHP to the Civic's engine. As expected for a unit without headers.

• What's equally important is that the throttle response has improved atleast 30 - 40% in the city. Thus, no clutch slipping required in bumper to bumper traffic. Civic owners will know what I'm talking about. From being a nightmare in traffic, she's now effortless to drive to & fro work everyday.

• The sound is a bonus! Automech's given me a deep, bassy, exhaust note. I find myself revving only to hear the sweet sound . Will put up a video later focusing only on the exhaust. In the meanwhile, enjoy:

Other Points:

• If you have a car that can accommodate after-market headers (most Indian cars can), the relative performance gain will be much more than in the Civic.

• Post dyno, the ABS light stayed on in my & Akshay1234's cars. Akshay told me to give her an Italian tune up (i.e. redline); worked like a charm.

• A reminder : My stock exhaust is up for grabs (free) to any BHPian who owns a Civic. Feel free to PM and pick it up from my place at no cost.

• Some more BHPians had joined in with their cars. Link to their dyno thread.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th June 2012 at 12:01. Reason: Fixing youtube link
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 15:07   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is part II of the series where I intend to dyno my car before and after each modification.
On the 1st run, we got 120.6 BHP at the wheels:

Then, a final run when the car was warmed up, the Civic churned out 121.5 BHP at the wheels.

Results

• The performance exhaust brought 4 - 5 BHP to the Civic's engine. As expected for a unit without headers.

• What's equally important is that the throttle response has improved atleast 30% in the city. Thus, no clutch slipping required in bumper to bumper traffic. Civic owners will know what I'm talking about. From being a nightmare in traffic, she's now effortless to drive to & fro work everyday.

• The sound is a bonus! Automech's given me a deep, bassy, exhaust note. I find myself revving only to hear the sweet sound . Will put up a video later focusing only on the exhaust. In the meanwhile, enjoy:

Other Points:

• Post dyno, the ABS light stayed on in my & Akshay1234's cars. Akshay told me to give her an Italian tune up (i.e. redline); worked like a charm.

Some more BHPians had joined in with their cars. Link to their dyno thread.
>>>

GTO,

If I remember aright, the dyno for the stock run had your Civic peaking at
117 bhp;after your PE mod, the peak bhp has gone up by about 5 bhp.
I guess more significant is the throttle response that you are getting now in city driving. How about the in gear acceleration in city driving? Should be vastly improved.

When I switched the engine on, the ABS light was on for about ten odd minutes, after revving upto to 2k it went off.

Regards
Old 1st November 2010, 16:06   #3
BANNED

Never thought one could gain even 4BHP with just an exhaust pipe&mufflerchange in the R18 Civic because of the header design. But happy to know that it yielded a noticeable difference. The cat-con too is removed, isn't it?
Old 1st November 2010, 16:10   #4
BHPian

This set up is sans the mid muffler and cat con right ?
Old 1st November 2010, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

@GTO, congrats on the exhaust giving a ~5bhp boost :-)
First such attempt on tbhp which shows before and after improvement, and what a well designed free-flow could achieve.
One thing I did not understand is why each of the dyno charts (including your 1st run and that of the other cars)has a different X-axis aka rpm range ? To make an easy comparison, each run should be in the same RPM range, and IMHO, it should start atleast at 2000rpm if not lower.
For eg., here's a dyno chart before/after from RPW
http://www.rpw.com.au/Photos/Custome...vStock%202.jpg

Secondly, from the 3 charts on your runs, I could not discern any difference in torque/bhp at the lower RPM range ! However, you confirmed that city driving is much easier and pickup is smoother. So, it may have to do with the fact that the RPM range is way too high in the dyno chart to show the difference in the critical path "1000-1700/1800" rpm when the pull is really bad ?
Old 1st November 2010, 16:58   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
If I remember aright, the dyno for the stock run had your Civic peaking at 117 bhp;after your PE mod, the peak bhp has gone up by about 5 bhp.
Yup

Quote:
How about the in gear acceleration in city driving? Should be vastly improved.
Better. I never had complaints with the mid or top end. What I really wanted was better response at low rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Never thought one could gain even 4BHP with just an exhaust pipe&mufflerchange in the R18 Civic because of the header design. But happy to know that it yielded a noticeable difference. The cat-con too is removed, isn't it?
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
This set up is sans the mid muffler
Let me check underbody, though I'm pretty sure there is no mid-muffler in my freeflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
First such attempt on tbhp which shows before and after improvement, and what a well designed free-flow could achieve.
Wait for the sound video

Quote:
One thing I did not understand is why each of the dyno charts (including your 1st run and that of the other cars)has a different X-axis aka rpm range ?
Don't ask. Best to ignore the initial rpm range on these charts. However, on my next run (with K&N Typhoon), I'll be sure to bring this point up at KS.
Old 1st November 2010, 17:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

That sound reminds me of something. Ajay's creations at best along with vivek
It's sound similar to the my Palio way back in 2001 which was prototyped on my car from headers to the end sitting along with Ajay just that it was x3 louder.
Have you considered do the CAI too ? Getting a reasonably sized air filter should make difference in the low end.

Last edited by Invinsible : 1st November 2010 at 17:09.
Old 1st November 2010, 17:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't ask. Best to ignore the initial rpm range on these charts. However, on my next run (with K&N Typhoon), I'll be sure to bring this point up at KS.
Please do. As I mentioned, possibility to graph from lower rpm, would have also shown up the improvement you feel driving with the free flow @ low rpm. Also, using the same rpm range for all measurements, will allow a top/bottom easy comparo :-)

Will wait for the sound video!
Old 1st November 2010, 17:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better. I never had complaints with the mid or top end. What I really wanted was better response at low rpms.
Is KS able to give you a overlay of old and now hp curves so that we can see where exactly the improvement is
Old 1st November 2010, 18:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is KS able to give you a overlay of old and now hp curves so that we can see where exactly the improvement is
what I was asking too like the RPW example I posted a link to. But, to do that, first measurements need to be in the same RPM range. Secondly, the most used rpm range is the idle to 3000rpm, and some of the charts are picking up only from 2500 or so ...
Old 1st November 2010, 18:18   #11
BHPian

@GTO sir if he gives you a soft copy of this graph it will be easier to place one over the other and you can see exactly where the difference comes. A la nfs underground 2.
Secondly a free flow results in lower back pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong this is one of the reasons for better driveability as it allows for quicker revving through the range thanks to the lower backpressure.

Will watch the vid at home and comment on the audio tone. What's the next step new plugs ignition and a chip like the RD0601?
Old 1st November 2010, 18:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
But, to do that, first measurements need to be in the same RPM range....
even if the range is not the same, its OK as long as you line it up correctly. Piece of cake in Excel
Old 1st November 2010, 18:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

So in a nut-shell, is it worth going in for a new exhaust-system: header-downpipe-decat? I suppose it would work better with other modifications. A K&N-Typhoon, perhaps?

Is the sound intrusive, i.e. would it be harsh during say, a long drive?

We don't have to worry about mid-range and top-end power in a Civic anyway, but would you guarantee better bottom-end? It's good to hear that you've given clutch-slipping a slip with the new system! That's one thing my dad and I were really annoyed about!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st November 2010 at 18:32.
Old 1st November 2010, 18:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
even if the range is not the same, its OK as long as you line it up correctly. Piece of cake in Excel
Yes, ofcourse, if one has the data points its simple. If only the graph, then it needs to be resized. But what I was trying to say is that if one graph starts from 2000rpm and another for 3000rpm, we can only compare 3000rpm onwards, or ?
Old 1st November 2010, 18:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How much of it is because of the new piping and how much of it is because of removing the cat-con?
pranavt is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed