Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:05   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
It has to be preset all the time and overlays have a software bug problem. I have complained quite a few times to Land and Sea, but the problem is not fixed. The have a funny way of referencing the charts.
Quote:
It should be done with the same setting for cut off. Otherwise the Kand and Sea will show distorted figures in relation to to base graph it referencesw gthe other to.
The overlays have been done by a BHPian, not Land and Sea. And I completely agree; the overlay still seems inaccurate because the revv range of either is different.

Quote:
Not necessarily. The dyno run is no way near the real driving situation and is done on full throttle, which would show different results than on the road.
Good point.

Also, do you suppose the improvement in traffic driveability has something to do with the electronic throttle's behaviour (post exhaust)? Again, where the car required carefully accelerator and clutch co-ordination earlier, it's an absolute breeze to drive in the city now. Much like the OHC Vtec was. The stock Civic accelerator is DEAD when moving off from 0 kph; the post-exhaust one seems invigorated.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2010 at 17:06.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:06   #47
BHPian

@CPH whoa that's quite a read! Thanks for the info! Haven't managed to read up and understand the newer systems. Will do!
Old 4th November 2010, 02:39   #48
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The overlays have been done by a BHPian, not Land and Sea. And I completely agree; the overlay still seems inaccurate because the revv range of either is different.
I didn't refer to the graph shown/created by one ouf the fellow members. He did a good work. Just wanted to clear some confusion about the Land and Sea and save Karan some work of explaining.

Quote:
Also, do you suppose the improvement in traffic driveability has something to do with the electronic throttle's behaviour (post exhaust)? Again, where the car required carefully accelerator and clutch co-ordination earlier, it's an absolute breeze to drive in the city now. Much like the OHC Vtec was. The stock Civic accelerator is DEAD when moving off from 0 kph; the post-exhaust one seems invigorated.
The electronic throttle does not help the evaluation. It has a mind of its own.

The freeer flowing exhaust will have an effect of the mixture especially at lower rpm as gthe scavening is improved, which means more usable gas cna flow into the combustion chamber. Additionally the lambda sensors are a bit slow, which doesn't help on the stock exhaust and the electronic throttle is set to react slower. Also the pulsing is corrected with a properly designed exhaust.

All the factors combined will make the difference you experience.

The dyno will not show the full potential due to the electronic throttle body and rollers that are not heavy enough to give it full load.

The KS dyno is an older model. I couldn't see in the pictures whether it has got an eddie current unit attached. If it has you should be able to use the eddie current to get enough load on the rollers to have a more realistic result of the low end improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@CPH whoa that's quite a read! Thanks for the info! Haven't managed to read up and understand the newer systems. Will do!
You are welcome. Although I make my living from performance tuning I am happy to give any info that is part of my experience/expertise. If you need more specific info, feel free to ask.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:40   #49
BHPian

Try octane boosters (toluene or xylene) it helps a lot in the low end performance of cars with over 1:10 compression for our fuel. It helped me with low end torque of the Ritz.
But had no effect on sx4 with compression ratio 1:9. But have to agree sourcing it and adding it every time can be a pain so not a very practical solution but can be a good experiment if you are up for it. I don't think it harms the engine as these are to some extent already present in regular petrol.I think a thread in here has already discussed that in detail.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:07   #50
BHPian

@GTO

Sorry this is heavily off-topic but how did the letters on your sticker shuffle up. I remember seeing "Gto's bhp!" sticker in your pre-worshipped civic thread and "got bhp?" in this thread.

Just curious
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Rush, Need some info for me to decide on doing this on my Civic. Your feedback on the low end improving really got me excited as this is what is a weak link in an otherwise sweet machine. Your statement that you can move off without having to play the balancing act with the accelerator and clutch really got me interested in possibly doing this.
1) Can you give me details on the specifications that you have for the Civic, or do Automech have a standard spec for the Civic? (If so the model no)
2) Cost
3) Any effect on FE or sound?
4) Is there an intermediate muffler / expansion chamber?
5) Does it need any changes to the intake (which I don't want to do)
6) Any issues with clearing Emission tests?
7) Availability in Bangalore?

Would be great to get your feedback on the above.
Regards
dinu2506 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:04   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Sorry this is heavily off-topic but how did the letters on your sticker shuffle up.
GTO's BHP was a limited edition. I framed the sticker up before it wore out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Your statement that you can move off without having to play the balancing act with the accelerator and clutch really got me interested in possibly doing this.
I have to sheepishly admit that I did, in fact, stall the Civic a couple of times earlier. And the A/C pedal co-ordination really got to me. The free flow exhaust has greatly reduced this problem....it's just like my OHC Vtec in traffic. I don't have to worry about carefully feeding in the accelerator, nor release the clutch, any more. For the record : zero stalls too

Quote:
1) Can you give me details on the specifications that you have for the Civic, or do Automech have a standard spec for the Civic? (If so the model no)
As other people have stated on this thread, a large part of the performance gain (and presumably low rpm throttle response) is from removing the cat con. Go for 1.75 diameter pipes.

Quote:
2) Cost
20K for full SS

Quote:
3) Any effect on FE or sound?
Automech gives two options; one mild (which was too mild for me) and the other prominent (which I'm currently running)

Quote:
4) Is there an intermediate muffler / expansion chamber?
I'm 99% sure it's a straight pipe to the muffler like in this post. However, this was raised earlier and I need to double check.

Quote:
5) Does it need any changes to the intake (which I don't want to do)
No

Quote:
6) Any issues with clearing Emission tests?
Haven't checked but highly doubt. My OHC got through PUCs with flying colours.

Quote:
7) Availability in Bangalore?
If I were you, I'd just go ahead with Red Rooster Racing. You Bangalore boys are lucky to have such a top notch tuning outfit in the city.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm 99% sure it's a straight pipe to the muffler like in this post. However, this was raised earlier and I need to double check.
Thanks GTO for all the answers. I had one more question. With the absence of a catcon (I assume you do not have a catcon now), does the CEL come on sensing failure of the catcon. How was this addressed?

I'm thinking of removing the catcon from the stock setup for a start and then decide on going for a full freeflow if required.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:34   #54
BANNED

they have aftermarket headers for the r18 i think megan racing makes them. but anyways
k20>r18 u should swap one in lol
Old 6th December 2010, 14:48   #55
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO for all the answers. I had one more question. With the absence of a catcon (I assume you do not have a catcon now), does the CEL come on sensing failure of the catcon. How was this addressed?

I'm thinking of removing the catcon from the stock setup for a start and then decide on going for a full freeflow if required.
If the control light comes it can be dealt with. There is a couple of measures possible to make sure the ECU does not log on a fault.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:16   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nope, absolutely no CEL light in my car. Don't know how this was managed, I guess Automech would be the right guys to speak to.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:37   #57
BANNED

how much was the filter for ? and from where ?
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust

Quote:
As other people have stated on this thread, a large part of the performance gain (and presumably low rpm throttle response) is from removing the cat con. Go for 1.75 diameter pipes.
I'm going to be the guinea pig. Tomorrow my Civic goes to Red Rooster to get the catcon replaced by a bolt-on straight pipe. Idea is to see the improvement if any, else bolt the catcon back. Hope its not a risky exercise. They have also not tried this on the Civic, so they are not too sure of gains, if any.
Anything else I need to be wary about? CEL is one worry I have, lets see how to deal with it. Second is the PUC clearance.
Pray for me
Old 24th December 2010, 00:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CEL is one worry I have, lets see how to deal with it.
LOL.

BLOX SPARK PLUG DEFOULER UNIVERSAL HONDA NISSAN JDM - eBay (item 150494448392 end time Jan-14-11 10:23:53 PST)

That is all that's needed. Get one made on a lathe and it'll probably cost you like 50 Rupees.
Old 25th December 2010, 21:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to be the guinea pig. Tomorrow my Civic goes to Red Rooster to get the catcon replaced by a bolt-on straight pipe. Idea is to see the improvement if any, else bolt the catcon back. Hope its not a risky exercise. They have also not tried this on the Civic, so they are not too sure of gains, if any.
Anything else I need to be wary about? CEL is one worry I have, lets see how to deal with it. Second is the PUC clearance.
Pray for me
Dinesh, was good to meet you at RRP yesterday, so what time did you complete the work and get back? and more importantly, how is the car running now? any issues with CEL? has the low end improved?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks