Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2010, 10:08   #1
BHPian

Supercharged BMW 330i tuning

Just working on tuning a supercharged BMW330i. The car came with a supercharger already fitted but with terrible performance - around 220 bhp (alomst the same as sotckk) with the Supercharger.

With the Unichip fitted and a basic tune, achieved 307 bhp. The car owner says "enough!".
Old 6th November 2010, 10:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Is this JD's old car ?
Old 6th November 2010, 11:15   #3
BHPian

Yes, it is

Yes, it is the same car !
Old 6th November 2010, 13:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can we have some pictures ?. Ho a log also would be fine .

Last edited by black12rr : 6th November 2010 at 13:40.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:40   #5
BHPian

Here's a picture of the layout. I will post the dyno charts soon.

Supercharged BMW 330i tuning-bmw330i4-cropped-640x480.jpg
Old 11th November 2010, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Dyno chart

Below is the dyno chart of the car after the basic tune. The power is 306.6 bhp at 6000 rpm. There is some more headroom for pushing the power to about 325 bhp.

However, since the car is going to be a regular street use car, it has been brought down to about 300 bhp.

As you can see from the above pic, the MAF sensor has been done away with to reduce restriction on the intake. The MAF signal is simulated by the Unichip using the newly installed MAP sensor's output. The car now runs without the EML light coming on.

Name:  bmw power 800x600.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  68.8 KB
Old 11th November 2010, 14:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the removal of the MAF affect fuel efficiency?
Old 11th November 2010, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Does the removal of the MAF affect fuel efficiency?
Difficult to say. The fact is we are now allowing more air to go in and are correspondingly increasing the amount of fuel. The car is also now putting out much more power than before.

Generally since forced induction engines are run richer than NA engines, too many parameters have changed to make an accurate comparison of the figures before and after.

The tuning has been completed just yesterday. Will certainly follow up with the car owner and find out if he notices any improvement in consumption, although I doubt he scrupulously checks the consumption.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

How about the Torque curve on the same?

I am sure that you have made ground there as well.

Cheers!
Old 11th November 2010, 18:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can you show us before and after power curves. What ECU/cal was it running before. You cant just unlock 100 bhp by using a unichip!!

Clearly something was mechanically wrong with the car which it appears you have fixed.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th November 2010 at 20:55.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Can you show us before and after power curves. What ECU/cal was it running before. You cant just unlock 100 bhp by using a unichip!!

Clearly something was mechanically wrong with the car which it appears you have fixed.
As I mentioned in the opening post of this thread, the car had already come with the supercharger installed, but had not done the necessary changes to other things like fuelling. The supercharger kit came with a primitive fuelling control device which was fitted in series with the MAF signal. This was not doing the job, with the result that the car was running super lean. The ecu was also probably backing off the timing.

The ecu was and is still running on the stock ecu. It now has the Unichip installed. The fuelling control device which came with the supercharger kit has been removed.

Posting the 'before' and 'final' after readings below. We did not get 100 extra bhp - we got around 50 odd bhp.

Stock is around 220 odd bhp; when the car came to us it was having about 250 odd. We ended with about 302 bhp.

The primary problem was that the supercharger installation was not complete/proper as no meaningful tuning seemed to have been done.

I agree that there is no way any ecu or piggyback will get 100 bhp out of thin air !!

Power before:
Name:  bmw power before 800x600.jpg
Views: 2447
Size:  52.1 KB

Torque before:
Supercharged BMW 330i tuning-bmw-torque-before-800x600.jpg

Power final:
Supercharged BMW 330i tuning-bmw-power-final-800x600.jpg

Torque final:
Supercharged BMW 330i tuning-bmw-torque-final-800x600.jpg
Old 12th November 2010, 09:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quite possible. If the car came to the OP in a badly tuned state, just fixing the fuelling and ignition would extract most of the power that was being hidden by the bad tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapl View Post
Below is the dyno chart of the car after the basic tune. The power is 306.6 bhp at 6000 rpm. There is some more headroom for pushing the power to about 325 bhp.

However, since the car is going to be a regular street use car, it has been brought down to about 300 bhp.

As you can see from the above pic, the MAF sensor has been done away with to reduce restriction on the intake. The MAF signal is simulated by the Unichip using the newly installed MAP sensor's output. The car now runs without the EML light coming on.

Attachment 451872
Can you post a dyno graph without so much smoothing?
Old 12th November 2010, 12:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Quite possible. If the car came to the OP in a badly tuned state, just fixing the fuelling and ignition would extract most of the power that was being hidden by the bad tune.

Can you post a dyno graph without so much smoothing?
1. Exactly !! All we did was to match the fuelling and the timing for the air that was being supplied by the supercharger !

2. This dyno is primarily a loadng type dyno which can also run in the inertial mode. The reporting/printing/database module of the software is common to both the modes. and works by interpolating between finite points (we can select the interval down to 500 rpm).

Therefore, although the screen display of the inertia mode shows the jagged graph with no smoothing, the reporting/database module takes the inputs only for the fixed points and creates the graph - hence the smoothing in the graphs. Thus, this is the format of the display.

Therefore, during the inertial run, we can see the graph with no smoothing - but can't print it !
Old 12th November 2010, 22:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

OK, if you say so. But its baffling why someone would take the trouble of doing a S/C kit on a 330i without the right fuelling cal. If I'm not mistaken the car has been tracked at MMST by KD.

Are the stock injectors capable of handling the fuelling requirements?
Old 12th November 2010, 23:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK, if you say so. But its baffling why someone would take the trouble of doing a S/C kit on a 330i without the right fuelling cal. If I'm not mistaken the car has been tracked at MMST by KD.
Most of the bolt-ons sold today are still sold with the crappiest of fuel management components which are just mechanical devices aimed to bypass the MAP/MAF sensors, while the increased fuelling requirements are taken care of by raising the base fuel pressure and the O2 sensor voltages taken care of by other means. At the end of the day, most people, including tuners, just bolt on the components that they've got in the kit and send the car away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks