Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 18:03   #676
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
... (adequate length of seat belt also is an issue in case of rear facing seats).
My car's seatbelt is causing problems for install of a front facing seat! I got my baby a Britax Eclipse this weekend, and the lap part of seatbelt has a slack after installation.

There is small button on the seatbelt strap itself which prevents tongue from sliding down to the bottom, when belt is not in use, and it is this button which causes a slack on lap part of belt.

For now I've used buckle from the other side of rear bench (installed seat in LHS, but used RHS buckle for seatbelt tongue), and this takes care of slack. But I would still prefer a seatbelt adjuster clamp over this. Where can I find one in Bangalore?

Yes, I did have it placed in my car before purchasing, but did not try out with belts.
Old 16th January 2015, 17:21   #677
BHPian

Britax First class plus is not in stock in shoppers stop in bangalore. The only piece available is the display piece. Had them call all their branches and everyone has just the display piece.

That is the only convertible car seat model that they have right now.

Hope this is useful for ppl who are planning to go visit SS for this sake.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:13   #678
Team-BHP Support

The new child seat for my Son came with a Top Tether. Its to be used when the seat is turned around for front facing.

The Chevy Sail sedan has top tether slots in the parcel tray. My Chevy Sail UVA does not. But a quick check confirms that it does infact exist.
I might have to work it around or put a small hole in the parcel tray.

But the tether is supposed to be very helpful in keeping the seat in the right place.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20150119_092830381_hdr.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20150119_092838640.jpg
Old 1st February 2015, 21:33   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
K36, Get a Britax.
Where can one get Britax? I do not see it available in any stores in Chennai or online?

Any feedback on Chicco Eletta car seats. My baby is 5 months old. I plan to start using child seat from 6 months onwards. I do not want to buy a very small carrying type rear facing seat that can be used only for few months. Want a solution that can be used up to 4 years after which I can use booster seats.

Was not happy looking at many models sold online including from eventflo, sunbaby, graco etc. Chicco eletta seems to be a decent solution but wanted to see if any feedback on this forum. It costs close to Rs.13K online.
Old 12th February 2015, 16:50   #680
BHPian

We have been doing road trips regularly since my baby daughter was 4 months old. Her first long trip was a Pune - Mumbai drive. After that we have done Pune - Vadodara (9 hours, monthly trip home), Pune - Hyderabad (10hours) and Pune bangalore (11 hours). Other small trips close to pune are done very regularly.

I made it a point to put her in a car seat anytime we go out in the car. It was irritating for her initially, but now she is so used to eat, she happily stares out of the window. My wife sits at the back seat sometimes to keep her entertained if required, but more often than not she happily dozes off! I have a JBL 1100 W woofer in my Punto, so the vibrations probably help in putting her off to sleep!

I would like to point out that I havent yet bought a baby car seat. I rent it from here: http://thegbabe.com/collections/car-seats
Costs about 2k per month (they have daily and weekly options too). They come home and install the seat, and happily extend the duration of the rental if required. Would suggest other to try renting it so you can be sure of what brand you want and can get your baby used to the car seat.

PS: My daughter is 10 months old. She is quickly turning into a hardcore road warrior!
bassman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 16:52   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post

Any feedback on Chicco Eletta car seats. My baby is 5 months old. I plan to start using child seat from 6 months onwards. I do not want to buy a very small carrying type rear facing seat that can be used only for few months. Want a solution that can be used up to 4 years after which I can use booster seats.
I would suggest you to rent one online and see how comfortable your baby is. I see this is available here:
http://thegbabe.com/collections/car-...egbabe-rentals

I have been using this service for the past 6 months. The car seats they provide are clean, sterilized and in excellent condition. Check it out!

*Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated to their company. Just a happy client.
bassman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 17:04   #682
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I'm looking for convertible car seat 0-4 years one and after reading through this thread, I've shortlisted the following (in order of priority):
1. Britax First Class Plus
2. Chicco Eletta
3. Evenflo Tribute LX
4. Mothercare etc.

The problem is Britax is not available anywhere (physical/online stores in India). Any idea about from where to source? Another option is to get it from US (have one friend coming soon). However, Britax US doesn't sell First Class Plus version. It has Marathon, Boulevard, Advocate, Highway etc. versions only (few come with Clicktight setting for ease of installation). Has anyone used any of these versions and if so, how would you rate the one you used?

Also, what about Prams/Strollers? I couldn't find any dedicated thread on Team BHP. Which brand is recommended for daily evening strolls, occasional mall visits etc.
Old 13th February 2015, 18:43   #683
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a good shop or store in Mumbai where I can go and checkout infant car seats (especially rear facing ones) with variety of options to check out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 20th February 2015, 11:26   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
I would suggest you to rent one online and see how comfortable your baby is. I see this is available here:
http://thegbabe.com/collections/car-...egbabe-rentals
Thanks for the information. I ordered it but they called and notified that they rent car seats only within Pune!
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:28   #685
Max
BHPian

I want to thank the thread starter and team-bhp members for crafting such a wonderful thread. Life seems unimaginable without team-bhp.

My friend bought me this convertible Chicco Eletta Baby Car Seat (Scarlet) from Europe and we are loving it.

Here is my 1 month old baby girl in her car seat. She has been sitting in her car seat since she was 45 days old and have already traveled about 1500 kms in last 2 months in it. She seems to enjoy her car seat and has become very comfortable with it.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-angeloncarseat.jpg
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-angeloncarseat2.jpg
Few points to note:
1) I have installed car seat in rear sitting position in my car. This Chicco Eletta Baby Car Seat (Scarlet) is very well constructed and very easy to use and install. Takes only 1 minute to install Its safe, Safety FIRST !!
2) Its very comfortable to travel with small child with car seat because you don't have to hold constantly moving child in your hands.
3) Child seems to like it and they can sleep properly in it.
4) IMO children about 2-3 months can travel comfortably in this kind of convertible car seat. If your kid doesn't likes it, give him no choice or may be tell him its special princesses / prince seat, made specially for her/him. Although too small, they do seem to get that !
5) There was sudden braking incident during trip, where my wife dropped her phone due to sudden breaking, imagine if it was a child ! Thanks god my girl was in her car seat.

I always see kids playing in parent laps on front seat and it make me feel very sorry for the poor child, imagine what will happen to them in case of high speed accident ! I strongly recommend all to install car seats for children, its not for the safety, it will also provide you wonderful comfort, specially on the long drives. Your child will also be very happy and will enjoy the journey like they are home.

P.S: My daughter doesn't like it when the car is stopped at a signal or bumper to bumper traffic, but she is very happy while the car is moving, its like she is instructing, why car is stopped, keep moving

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2015 at 11:51. Reason: Typos
Max is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th March 2015, 18:33   #686
BHPian

Hi Forum,

This is a great thread for safety aware parents like me. I am expecting my Jetta to come through in the next 2-3 weeks, so have started preparing for various add-ons which I need to make the whole thing to work for us as a family.

The first thing we thought of was car-seats, as this is going to be a fast car, and though we have managed so far with our baby on my wife's lap, and my little girl in an adult seat belt (just the belt along the thighs), I am increasingly aware of how dangerous this setup is in a high-speed incident, or even otherwise.

So I am now researching 2 car seats, one for our toddler, and another one for her big sister. I started looking at various options available in India and came back with the Chicco Eletta and Chicco Neptune. However on digging deeper I realized these seats really lag in the safety department, my sources:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/products.../chicco-eletta
https://www.consumer.org.nz/products...chicco-neptune
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter-seats.html
http://community.babycentre.co.uk/po..._-_please_read

Looking at some other links, I was almost convinced about buying Kiddy car seats (an obscure but highly rated brand from Germany, you can only find in India on firstcry.com), but then some which.co.uk reviews have convinced me they are not for wiggly children, and both of my kids definitely qualify for that.

So I am back to looking out for other car seats. The one seat I have narrowed down on now is the Maxi Cosi Rodifix here:

http://www.amazon.in/Maxi-RodiFix-Bo...i+cosi+rodifix
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxi-Cosi-Ro...i+cosi+rodifix

My only concern is if I order from amazon.co.uk, will they deliver the seat to an address in India? Can forum members who might have done this please share their experiences?

The search for the other car seat for the younger one is still on, so any pointers will help.

Thanks folks!
Old 12th March 2015, 15:25   #687
BHPian

How safe are the center seat two point seatbelts in our Indian cars? Would it be safe to have the child sit in the rear middle seat with the seatbelts?
Old 12th March 2015, 17:58   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
How safe are the center seat two point seatbelts in our Indian cars? Would it be safe to have the child sit in the rear middle seat with the seatbelts?
Highly unsafe. The two point seat belts are "lap belts". The chances of child falling along with the seat are extremely high.

I am using Britax seats since more than a year and never came across anybody trying or reporting the use of these or any other child seat with center lap belts.

I suggest you don't even try.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 10:08   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Highly unsafe. The two point seat belts are "lap belts". The chances of child falling along with the seat are extremely high.
My understanding. The question was whether the rear middle seat belts can be used to keep a baby safe. And the reply was that even a child seat fixed using the middle seat's belts have a chance to fall.

I have been using my baby car seat (facing rear wards) in the rear seat middle position. I use the middle seat's belt to fasten the baby seat. Have done nearly 2000km of trips in such a fashion. And I have not faced security risks.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:24   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

I am using Britax seats since more than a year and never came across anybody trying or reporting the use of these or any other child seat with center lap belts.

I suggest you don't even try.
I meant a 6-7 year old toddler. As of now I don't own a child seat and if I have to travel with my 6 yr old son, I harness him on the rear seat with the belt going around the lap. He's short for the shoulder straps.

Most Viewed