Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:53   #16
BHPian

Absolutely enchanting thread, am glued to it.

As mentioned by many, the only major drawback with Logan is the "looks" department. The ride comfort it very good as experienced in some even not so well maintained airport cars.

Could you also give details of the costs involved; if possible for each mod? For example. the cost for eye transplant (as you call it), cost for the bumper upgrade, cost for change in skirtings? This might help in some of us deciding on what changes to be done on our cas if not a full fledged mod!

And, last but not the least - congrats on being able to break the shackles and take the bold step of moving from an IT career to one that you are passionate about. I am sure it is quite satisfying. All the best.
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:19   #17
BHPian

A very promising thread I have to say. And the way you narrate it is also very interesting. I am sure a very awesome makeover is going to happen. All the best Ramesh Sir. Anxiously waiting for the next part to come up.
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff... Am hooked on to this thread. I might even want to commission a Logan Customization with you, depending on what comes out. I happen to have a Diesel Logan in exactly the same colour.
In any case, it is one of the most under-rated cars around. It's very nice to drive, feels safe and sturdy, has fantastic mileage, low maintenance and is very reliable.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:53   #19
BHPian

Gentlemen thankyou for sharing my joy with your enthusiatic responses in this Logan project...

The main transformation will be seen in the front as there is a budget constraint at this moment in transforming the rear, so that section will not see as dramatic a change as the front which will look - well - very unlike a Logan.

Since this is a cosmetic exterior sheet metal update, we had to use the current lines of the car to good effect as you shall see in the subsequent updates...

Lights both head and tail are a major focal point in the aesthetics of a car. Changing these will alter the looks of the vehicle...
It is still a challenge to get decently finished lights to be made to a good level of finish but we may be in for a possible breakthrough in this area using unconventional components...needed a fair amount of running around in the gullies of Bangalore and a couple of strokes of syncronicity / luck and some R&D to pull something out of the hat...intending that it comes out well now.

We wanted to give it more character and make a stronger impression and so had to change it's facial personality if you know what I mean.

The new emotion bestowed on the car is one of a slight agressive, cab forward stance not seen on the Logan earlier. This combined with the the new headlights, grille shape and chin alters the facial mood from an annonymous smile to one that has more road presence...

Ok nuf said - now for some pics to back up the words...

Once again thankyou gentlemen for your best wishes and encouragement, and yes it is certainly a satisfying 'job' to be in

Last edited by theMAG : 25th November 2010 at 17:39. Reason: Editing out borderline marketing content. Please be sensitive to our rules. Thanks.
R.K.Ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:43   #20
BHPian

Now the side skirts are done - using minimum patti as I wanted to watch her weight. Weight watching is an obessive pastime with beauty pagents as you'd all know but more importantly in this case, it lends itself inherently to better control over the sheet metal during sculpting.
Name:  DSCF1089.jpg
Views: 8890
Size:  39.1 KB

The lights were fixed with a bit of ado - as their mountings too had to be custom made - these little intricacies are the ones that take time and dont give a dramatic visual indication of the the amount of work that goes it. They are small details that are crucially important and need to be worked on with passion and an attention to detail. Large panels of sheet metal work may on installation look substantial and speedy but the adage 'God lies in the details' is very apt here.

We kept our focus on form with functionality - the ability of the job to last rattle free after prolonged regular use. Had to infuse a certain amount of ease of repair into the design too. We suitably designed the mounts and chose sheet metal which if done well, can be even lighter than thick guage FRP mod jobs normally seen...not to mention the easier repair, lower repair cost and better panel finish integrety retained over the years. FRP does have it's advantages but sheet metal was the way to go here taking all things into consideration.

This is where the drama started. As a part of her new cab forwardish stance, she simply had to have that much vaunted aqualine nose...
The Logan Makeover-dscf1098.jpg

I am sure you'd happily agree that this is making her look quite different already, even fetching perhaps?...your take gentlemen?
The Logan Makeover-dscf1103.jpg
The Logan Makeover-dscf1104.jpg
The Logan Makeover-dscf1105.jpg

Aerodynamics, a certain amount of pedestrian friendliness and crash worthiness were taken into account during execution here. We took care to ensure that the crash bar and hard points remained in place.

With constant and unending attention, her face soon started falling in line...but all that for another time folks...till then, Good day

Last edited by R.K.Ramesh : 23rd November 2010 at 15:45.
R.K.Ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:01   #21
BHPian

Well.. this has become a teaser now. Would love to see the end result.
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

The nose is already looking good.
Get it finished fast.
I have a feeling this will end up with something similar to beastly look of EVO.
If so then "her" has to be changed to "him".

Come on. We are still in office. How can fellow bhpians call it a day? More pics please.
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:25   #23
BHPian

I am getting a sense that this will come out good! Might just go out and pick up a 2nd hand deal on the Logan!
Do share costs and time involved at the end of the show!
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:34   #24
BHPian

I Own a Diesel Logan and am really optimistic about the outcome. May the non exciting looks of Logan rest in peace ad give way to a much fab car at the end of this project.
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:24   #25
BHPian

Wow.. This is already starting to look good. I am sure it will turn out to be a sweet ride. However, why dont you put us all out of the misery and atleast share the sketches that you are working from as a preview. I know the final finished product will look different but it will atleast give us some direction of where the car is going

All the best with the turn around of an otherwise boring looking yet a good to drive/ comfortable car. Only if they had a better dash board and plastic feel, I would have recommended it to my parents as a second car for its practicality!
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

This was in the coming. With the logan being a VFM but with dead looks, it was just a matter of time before someone from the tbhp surgens took the scalpel to her. The pictures look promising to say the least.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:29   #27
BHPian

I guess that nose job really changed the face completely. I have to say the frame gives me an EVO picture. Truly delightful. Looking awesome.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:37   #28
BHPian

Wow!! Ramesh Saar, this is one of its kind type of mod job. Hope the color is now changed to red/black/white etc! Waiting for the pics!
Old 24th November 2010, 01:07   #29
BHPian

Great going Ramesh, the stance is already changed to a quite aggressive one. Waiting eagerly for the completion of your project.

Can you post some pictures of the underside of the bonnet? I was wondering how you have joined the nose extension part to the original bonnet sheet.

And have you taken care of the under-bonnet reinforcements?

Because the incident which gave me the first dent on my car, also gave me some insight about how the shocks are transmitted over the various parts of the body. And that's where the design plays the role.
It was just a very low speed impact when a diesel auto in front of me rolled backwards on an incline and hit my bonnet and nose. As a result there was a dent on the nose and two small - almost un-noticeable dimples formed way behind the nose, near the wind-screen wash nozzles, where the whole bonnet was slightly bent upwards. It's difficult to explain and unfortunately I dont have a snap of those.

Anyway, I am sure you must have taken these things into consideration, as you have already mentioned in your post.

Wish you all the best for your project.
Old 24th November 2010, 01:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

From the looks of it right now (WIP) it seems that the car is going to get some skirtings first.

Most Viewed