Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 15:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is there anything as piggyback ecu + CNG fitment

Guys,

I have started looking in the market to buy a sedan/SUV off late. Now my first preference is an SUV but my price range is 12 lacs odd. The only SUVs I like are the 'imported' ones (read Fortuner, Outlander, CRV etc). The problem is, I am way priced out of the market.

I had put up a query at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-possible.html. Basically, I love the CRV; however, I can't afford/don't want to afford the petrol bills. The guys were unanimous that an engine swap is not possible for practicality reasons.

Consider this: Is there any option to 'chip the CRV' i.e. add piggyback ecu/custom map it say take its pwer to 180 bhp odd, thereby giving it more power and then make it run on CNG? I know it sounds crazy but I was just getting greedy. BTW, has anybody ever heard any of the 'soft macho' guys (CRV,Outlander,GV etc) run on CNG anyway. I am ready to spend some money on 'sequential injection' or whatever.

The main problem with running the CNG card is that the power drop may be considerable thus negating the macho drive factor. How much power drop can I expect after doing the CNG installation (the best one; whichever it is!).

I just want to start this discussion off see if this is a feasible option at all or not.

Mods: I have no intention of bumping threads or starting an unnecessary discussion. If you feel merging the threads, please go ahead!
Old 25th November 2010, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you need a Non Indian SUV with low running costs.
why not look at diesel one's?
a Pajero,will suit you,and you can find a decent one within your budget.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:07   #3
BANNED

I know of my uncles friend who got gifted the CRV in wedding .He was standing at the CNG fitment center the next day .I asked new car why ? HE replied "my wife was making sure i will get bankrupt filling this gas eating monster so i decided to tell her who is intelligent".

So he fitted a 14 kg cylinder with tomasetto argentina lamda & advancer and he has never felt guilty of taking out CRV since .He gets around 12-14 kms in Delhi , heavy traffic , ac all the time.

And he has had no maintenance issues till 45k kms the last time i met him.

See it all boils down to what equipment you use and the tuning of the same.
I have seen V6 accords , many earlier gen sonatas , skodas (still dont believe even after seeing that with my own eyes) so if you wanna go ahead with CRV go for sure .

Regards
Old 25th November 2010, 16:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See it all boils down to what equipment you use and the tuning of the same.
I have seen V6 accords , many earlier gen sonatas , skodas (still dont believe even after seeing that with my own eyes) so if you wanna go ahead with CRV go for sure .
What kind of drop in power can i expect out of this type of fitments? Your uncle's friend seems to have gone in for a fairly basic fit. Is it holding well? I mean, I certainly don't want a white elephant
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:01   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
What kind of drop in power can i expect out of this type of fitments? Your uncle's friend seems to have gone in for a fairly basic fit. Is it holding well? I mean, I certainly don't want a white elephant
It is the best kit (read lamda + advancer) you can go for aftermarket without risking (read direct injection type)

Most Viewed