Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:36   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
@GTO: I expect my 57i Kit from K&N very soon.
A couple of questions:
1. Is this a cold air intake? Did you manage to install it the way it's mentioned in the user manual? With the cold air hose et all?
2. How much did the 69 series Typhoon filter cost, shipped to India.
3. PRAY, why is the engine bay of your car so dirty??? ;-)
Frank,
From what I see in the pics, this isnt a proper cold air intake. This is more like a short ram intake with a heat shield sort of arrangement to isolate the heat from the engine.

A proper CAI would be something like the K&N Apollo which will have a cover for the filter and a ducting pipe which can be routed to the fender or bumper from where it has access to proper cold air.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:23   #17
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
@GTO: I expect my 57i Kit from K&N very soon.
A couple of questions:
1. Is this a cold air intake? Did you manage to install it the way it's mentioned in the user manual? With the cold air hose et all?
2. How much did the 69 series Typhoon filter cost, shipped to India.
3. PRAY, why is the engine bay of your car so dirty??? ;-)
If you haven't ordered the 57i, don't order it. None of the 57is will give you a perofrmance gain.

And the cold air feed is sometyhing you can forget too. If a cold air feed is needed than something is fundamentally wrong with the after market intake design.

@ Amey - The Apollo is about as useless as the K&N 57i.. The only K&Ns that do work are the typhoons.

Last edited by CPH : 3rd December 2010 at 13:30.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
And the cold air feed is sometyhing you can forget too. If a cold air feed is needed than something is fundamentally wrong with the after market intake design. The only K&Ns that do work are the typhoons.
@CPH : Well said
@GTO : enjoy, here is something else to think about Intake Manifold
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A 40% increase in plenum volume is only warranted if turbocharging is involved, don't you think? This would, in all likelyhood, kill whatever semblance of torque is available at low revs. An OE Honda RBC/RRC manifold would be kickass but it's only for K series Honda engines

Last edited by pranavt : 3rd December 2010 at 15:07.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:39   #20
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
A 40% increase in plenum volume is only warranted if turbocharging is involved, don't you think? This would, in all likelyhood, kill whatever semblance of torque is available at low revs. An OE Honda RBC/RRC manifold would be kickass but it's only for K series Honda engines
Not necessarily. the plenum volume should be calculated rather than expressed in percentage increases. Mathematically the optimal relation of plenum volume to total cubic capacity per shared plenum varies with the number of cylinders.

As a general rule the more cylinders per plenum the smaller the plenum capacity.

Factory plenums are not power oriented. Therefore in most cases it is of advantage to increase the size. But by then I would go for a twin plenum.
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:47   #21
BANNED

Quote:
If you haven't ordered the 57i, don't order it. None of the 57is will give you a perofrmance gain.

And the cold air feed is sometyhing you can forget too. If a cold air feed is needed than something is fundamentally wrong with the after market intake design.

@ Amey - The Apollo is about as useless as the K&N 57i.. The only K&Ns that do work are the typhoons.
Any idea in case if there is any K&N typhoon kit available for swift VDI, what I heard from local dealers is Apollo kit or 57i, If yes please share a part number
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:14   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The only K&Ns that do work are the typhoons.
I'm honestly surprised by the handful of horses from a mere air-filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
@GTO : enjoy, here is something else to think about Intake Manifold
Wheels & suspension first, then the rest. When the time comes, we'll "blow" 'em away

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
Any idea in case if there is any K&N typhoon kit available for swift VDI
Don't think so.

Here's a question : What if jugaad is done to fit the typhoon on a car that it isn't meant for? Any gains, or disaster?
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:20   #23
Team-BHP Support

GTO, why did you not go for the typhoon kit? It's available for the civic IIRC. BHPian m4ugr8 had this I think.

edit: juts saw that he had the same thing and yours is the typhoon. lol.

What I meant was the dynamisation thingy.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd December 2010 at 21:25.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Stock intake is 2-stage.

This one looks like single stage and he says longer primaries. So theoretically you will pickup low end and lose quite a but up high.
Old 4th December 2010, 05:59   #25
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
Any idea in case if there is any K&N typhoon kit available for swift VDI, what I heard from local dealers is Apollo kit or 57i, If yes please share a part number
K&N is not the only company that makes such kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm honestly surprised by the handful of horses from a mere air-filter.
There is quite a bit more to it than just the filter. I will explain it when you meet me on the dyno.
Old 4th December 2010, 21:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
K&N is not the only company that makes such kits.

There is quite a bit more to it than just the filter. I will explain it when you meet me on the dyno.
Since most of us will not be party to the discussions etc at the Dyno shop, would appreciate if you could dispense some gyan on the CAI's effects on a given vehicle's power output. Thanking you in advance.
Old 5th December 2010, 08:46   #27
BHPian

Ive been using bolt on mods for the past 9 years. Brands like K&N are well known in the States but not as well respected, especially when compared to RS Akimoto, Greddy, HKS, Mugen and Injen.

While I will admit that using a CAI (Cold Air Intake) does yield some gains, there's just too much environmental risk in India. The rains, flooding, ridiculously high dust and particulate levels all pose alot of risk to an open filter element resting a few inches above the ground.

A WAI (Warm Air intake aka Short Ram intake) may lose you net Horsepower and are best avoided.

In some cases, using a panel filter makes the most sense, simply because the design of the OEM airflow manifold is just the most efficient way to flow air into the engine.

I've learnt that each car is different and each intake is different. For India, Id recommend getting a nice set of Magnacore plug wires, a full catback exhaust and a nice intake. If you really want to push it, go for a full header exhaust set up but avoid guys like Karan Shah and the like. Go to the international firms that flow and dyno test their products and back them all the way.
Old 5th December 2010, 13:24   #28
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Since most of us will not be party to the discussions etc at the Dyno shop, would appreciate if you could dispense some gyan on the CAI's effects on a given vehicle's power output. Thanking you in advance.
I will start a new thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Ive been using bolt on mods for the past 9 years. Brands like K&N are well known in the States but not as well respected, especially when compared to RS Akimoto, Greddy, HKS, Mugen and Injen.

While I will admit that using a CAI (Cold Air Intake) does yield some gains, there's just too much environmental risk in India. The rains, flooding, ridiculously high dust and particulate levels all pose alot of risk to an open filter element resting a few inches above the ground.

A WAI (Warm Air intake aka Short Ram intake) may lose you net Horsepower and are best avoided.

In some cases, using a panel filter makes the most sense, simply because the design of the OEM airflow manifold is just the most efficient way to flow air into the engine.

I've learnt that each car is different and each intake is different. For India, Id recommend getting a nice set of Magnacore plug wires, a full catback exhaust and a nice intake. If you really want to push it, go for a full header exhaust set up but avoid guys like Karan Shah and the like. Go to the international firms that flow and dyno test their products and back them all the way.
Between an CAI and an AIR is a distinct difference.

Magnacore leads are overrated. Plug leads should be changed every other year as theuy age whatever they are. If you use a new OE lead and compare it with a Magnacore you won't see a difference.

A full cat back exhaust is only of advantage if it is made properly. I have seen in my time a lot of systems that have been sold as performance exhausts and they lost power.

From lomng term experience I can safely claim that your statement regarding the OE intake being the best is not correct. It is the cheapest. If it was correct I would haver gone out of business for many years.

Whatever K&N and some otherts do is one thing, but this does not mean that others aren't any good. If I don't see at least 5% gain I abondone the projects. This is in terms of peak torque as much as in terms of peak power. When dynos independently over several continents consistently come to the same results about a brand than the product must be working. The typhoons came into existence because they are a copy of an idea of another company. And as you can see the typhoon worked on GTOs car.
Old 5th December 2010, 13:59   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Here's a question : What if jugaad is done to fit the typhoon on a car that it isn't meant for? Any gains, or disaster?
Well said GTO, I am in a phase evaluation hence looking for the best option, My expectation is to optimize BHP with optimized cost

Quote:
K&N is not the only company that makes such kits
Yes, I am also looking at green and HKS,

Looking forward to your thread on this subject
Old 6th December 2010, 23:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
From lomng term experience I can safely claim that your statement regarding the OE intake being the best is not correct. It is the cheapest. If it was correct I would haver gone out of business for many years.
When scredriva said that the OE intake was the most efficient way i think he meant that it was cheapest as well as the best option considering the environment here. He couldn't have meant that it was the best performing method.

Most Viewed