Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 18:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4

The remap seems to have really done the car a whole lot of good. 160+ whp !! That must be fun. Brake upgrade & a suspension to match the power & this is in the league of a 320d

Brilliant ! Have fun

Cheers
Old 10th December 2010, 09:30   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! 435 NM of torque means it will pull like a train! I bet your in-gear acceleration (when the rpm needle is over 2K) is violent enough to smash a couple of German cars. Can't wait for a detailed write-up on the power delivery and dynamics after you've had a long highway run.

On the flip side, with the changes TDI has made to your boost levels, is the lag (below 2K) more prominent? How is she to drive in bumper to bumper traffic?

Congrats on owning one of the ultimate sleeper rides. I have a feeling you're not done yet
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2010, 10:00   #33
BHPian

Congrats brraj on that monster of a car.

163 WHP must be like 185-190 bhp engine output(considering 10-15% drivetrain losses).That is a MAMMOTH 60% gain in the stock power figures!!
Is this possible with just a remap or are there any other modifications under the hood?
Congrats once again.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:35   #34
BHPian

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
brraj ,did you dyno it before the re-map ? .If yes , what were the numbers .
160 bhp + is great .drive safe .
The dyno figures are from TDIracing people who have done it on their first few magnums, same map has been copied to my car. Time for me to check the 0-100 figures with this re-map at RRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
How is the traction ? Wheel spin in 4th gear ?
Myself and raj.barcode tested the car in NICE roads and just after two rounds of blasting a layer of tyre was gone. The re-map is done such a way that until and unless you press full throttle and leave the clutch suddenly there wont be any wheel spins and i would never want to do that in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@brraj. What are you upto? You seem to have clicked all those points that an enthusiast would like to dream of. Well done buddy
Yes buddy and all these under 7lkhs.

Quote:
I am looking forward to read your long term review of especially the suspension work. I was keen on buying a Magnum, but its poor handling and too soft suspension put me off.
Would definitely do once i cover 10k kms.

Quote:
20K charged by Tdi Racing seems VFM for the job.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The remap seems to have really done the car a whole lot of good. 160+ whp !! That must be fun.
Actually before remapping my car, was going through your "Re-mapped skoda 1.9" thread and it has quite helped me on deciding on a remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Brake upgrade & a suspension to match the power & this is in the league of a 320d.

Brilliant ! Have fun
Main reason why its called a "Poor mans BMW"

Yes, i wish if some body can volunteer with a BMW 320d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! 435 NM of torque means it will pull like a train! I bet your in-gear acceleration (when the rpm needle is over 2K) is violent enough to smash a couple of German cars. Can't wait for a detailed
write-up on the power delivery and dynamics after you've had a long highway run.
Yet to do a Highway run but before that i want to upgrade for slotted rotors as i am still not confident to unleash the power on indian highways.

Quote:
On the flip side, with the changes TDI has made to your boost levels, is the lag (below 2K) more prominent? How is she to drive in bumper to bumper traffic?
Before due to turbo lag some times it used to switch off while slowely going over humps in second gear but now turbo lag is very minimal and its fun to drive in city/highway.

Quote:
Congrats on owning one of the ultimate sleeper rides. I have a feeling you're not done yet
Yes my car will be a sleeper, More picture of the car will be uploaded on monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
163 WHP must be like 185-190 bhp engine output(considering 10-15% drivetrain losses).That is a MAMMOTH 60% gain in the stock power figures!!
Is this possible with just a remap or are there any other modifications under the hood?
Mods done to increase the power of engine.
- A remap.
- Intake.
- Exhaust.

The tuner says Engine internals of magnum & cruze are same and is far more stronger than an elantra CRDI and it can take more power than what he has given to me. He says he has just given me a conservative map

Note:
1) This is the same map done for a magnum which ran on Hyderabad drag race previous year.
2) Never remap a Magnum until and unless you sort out your suspension and brakes.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Firstly it's great to see those figures. Congrats.. Remap always delivers a lot better than the tuning box.
I am not sure about the 163hp at wheels, its too optimistic. 435nm of torque at wheels is that what you mean ? have you done the dyno test on this ?
That would make the picture more clearer. Some of the remaps done by some tuning companies are either little aggressive or figures are too optimistic. Aggressive maps can add some spike in the boost pressure which in long run can harm the turbo. I am running a stage 2 remap on my fabia with Intake and exhaust modified. The difference it made over stage 1 is just about 10bhp. or will make just about 8-10%.
I suggest you also look at upgrading the Clutch for better power deliver before it gets fried with torque output. Have you noticed a bit of clutch slip while accelerating from standstill?
Old 10th December 2010, 13:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congarts! Those torque figures are in supercar territory.

But as "Invinsible" has mentioned, you might wanna get a dyno test done, just to make sure you've got your money's worth.

Shan2nu
Old 10th December 2010, 14:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Firstly it's great to see those figures. Congrats.. Remap always delivers a lot better than the tuning box.
I am not sure about the 163hp at wheels, its too optimistic. 435nm of torque at wheels is that what you mean ? have you done the dyno test on this ?
That would make the picture more clearer. Some of the remaps done by some tuning companies are either little aggressive or figures are too optimistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Congarts! Those torque figures are in supercar territory.
But as "Invinsible" has mentioned, you might wanna get a dyno test done, just to make sure you've got your money's worth.
Shan2nu
I wanted to do the dyno a week back but RRR were busy with some rally stuff. Those figures and the dyno map was given by TDI racing, Will be visiting RRR shortly to check the power aswell as 0-100 timings.

Quote:
I suggest you also look at upgrading the Clutch for better power deliver before it gets fried with torque output.
Today morning i spoke to him asking for the 434nm of torque to be linear throughout 2400rpm-4000rpm and not just dropping off the torque below 3000rpm but he says he needs to work on clutch before doing it and the work is in progress.

Quote:
Have you noticed a bit of clutch slip while accelerating from standstill?
Usually i dont accelerate hard from standstill as it reduces tyre life as well as clutch life, But once i tried it in first & second gear it used to wheel spin (in that act) i couldnt recognise a clutch slip.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I wanted to do the dyno a week back but RRR were busy with some rally stuff. Those figures and the dyno map was given by TDI racing, Will be visiting RRR shortly to check the power aswell as 0-100 timings.
Figures will be different from car to car and depending on the engine condition. When getting the dyno look for any spike or surge during turbo boost on higher rpm. Most of the damage to the engine happens during running above 3000rpm. Also can you find out what turbo is running on the engine ? I am guessing its a GT 15 Garrett turbo. Every turbo has it's limitation when handling torque.

Quote:
Today morning i spoke to him asking for the 434nm of torque to be linear throughout 2400rpm-4000rpm and not just dropping off the torque below 3000rpm but he says he needs to work on clutch before doing it and the work is in progress.
If you look at the dyno result you posted the peak torque comes in and stays only between 2400-2500rpm. Also, there is a sudden surge in boost from 2000-2500rpm going from 250NM straight to 434nm, there is bound to be some spike here. With such a sudden boost in torque at lower RPM your clutch life will be affected. To get the linear torque one needs to work on the Map. limiting the torque to 390nm or so will giving you some linear boost between 2300rpm to 2800-3000rpm and better driveability in my opinion. Plus the clutch will see longer life. You could check with Peter at Petes if they have any Spec Clutch for your car.
Am sure one can get more torque out of the engine however its best suited for track use or short time spirited driving and not for daily drive.

Quote:
Usually i dont accelerate hard from standstill as it reduces tyre life as well as clutch life, But once i tried it in first & second gear it used to wheel spin (in that act) i couldnt recognise a clutch slip.
Clutch slip will happen during acceleration from standstill if the rpm suddenly rises up for a sec or two without the car moving at that rpm and than comes down and settles at the given speed. You could try picking up the car in 1st gear smoothly and floor the pedal when you change to 2nd gear. If you don't notice any above phenomena than clutch is still safe and running fine. But sometime you will notice this happening.

It happens with my fabia during stage 1 remap clutch was working at it's best. But with new custom intake and decat and stage 2 remap I noticed this clutch slip happening more often.

You also need to take care whether your gearbox is capable of handling such high amount of torque. Most gearbox are limited to handle certain of torque spike/ boost. For instance skoda 6 speed manual gearbox on the diesel cars can easily handle 500 NM of torque whereas the 5 speed gearbox could only manage less than 400nm.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th December 2010 at 16:37.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:45   #39
BHPian

Thanks for the pointers, will take care of all the things mentioned and check while doing dyno.

Last edited by brraj : 10th December 2010 at 18:00.
Old 10th December 2010, 18:49   #40
BHPian

This is whats going into my Cruze when I have the guts

This remap is what I am yearning for after my warranty is over.
Chevrolet Cruze Irmscher Edition Packs 186 Horsepower - autoevolution
Old 11th December 2010, 10:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:

The tuner says Engine internals of magnum & cruze are same and is far more stronger than an elantra CRDI and it can take more power than what he has given to me. He says he has just given me a conservative map
Nice car and good that somebody is trying all the mods so that rest can see and understand.

But i really doubt that the internals is the same; Same block doesn't mean all the internals are same

Personally i need you to get the following after driving the car

Sports suspension
Slotted rotors
Upgrade to sports clutch
and also
please get some better tyres

Last edited by raj.barcode : 11th December 2010 at 10:35.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:55   #42
BHPian

@drpullockaran - There is already a remapped cruze running in bangalore and the figures are much more than what you have posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
But i really doubt that the internals is the same; Same block doesn't mean all the internals are same
For more info talk to the tuner directly as he has worked on both the engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Sports suspension, Slotted rotors, Upgrade to sports clutch, please get some better tyres
All these when i have enough mullah, Waiting for PS3 to arrive in india.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:02   #43
BHPian

Just back from RedRoosterRacing after Dynoing my car and figures were a bit more than what TDI racing people had promised.

Sorry for the picture quality.

Magnum entering for a Dyno Run
Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4-img_2802.jpg

Leela krishnan doing the dyno.
Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4-img_2792.jpg

Some pictures of my car being Dynoed.
Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4-img_2801.jpg

Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4-img_2794.jpg

Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4-img_2795.jpg

Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4-img_2796.jpg

Name:  IMG_2793.jpg
Views: 3825
Size:  38.4 KB

Waiting for the Dyno graphs to be mailed which is going to take some time.
Old 13th December 2010, 17:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Are you saying you have in excess of 163 Whp ??? Do post the results.

BTW how is the sitting position in the Magnum ? Higher than the Octavia or lower or about the same. If it is similar to the Swift's seat height I think I should start looking for an unabused example & send it to Bangy straightaway. For doing the needful

Cheers
Old 13th December 2010, 17:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Mind blowing news - do you have a pic of the dyno sheet?

What is that red car in the back ground? and what about the bug?

Most Viewed