Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 11:05   #1
BHPian

i20 Rear Disc brake & Buzzer

Hi all,
I have a i20 Sportz CRDI BSIV. This model came with the Rear Drum brake due to absence of ABS. I wanted to change the rear to Disc brakes. How do I go about it ? Is it like a complicated procedure and how much does it cost ?

Also I got the sweet remote from Hyundai (with the flip key) but how do I check if my alarm system is working or not. I tried locking myself inside the car using the remote and then opened the car manually but no lights or alarm went off.. that was kinda strange for a security system. ?!?

P.S: @Mods: I searched a lot in the forum before posting this. In case if there is a repeat of this question please move my thread respectively.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
I wanted to change the rear to Disc brakes
Honest advice : DON'T!

- The braking system is the single most important safety device in your car. Switching the rears from drum to disc is not a simple procedure. Trust me, you don't want any complications and / or unreliability in your braking system.

- Your warranty will effectively be nullified

- Remember, it's the front brakes that do most of the work anyways
Old 6th December 2010, 16:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I have a i20 Sportz CRDI BSIV. This model came with the Rear Drum brake due to absence of ABS. I wanted to change the rear to Disc brakes. How do I go about it ? Is it like a complicated procedure and how much does it cost ?

Also I got the sweet remote from Hyundai (with the flip key) but how do I check if my alarm system is working or not. I tried locking myself inside the car using the remote and then opened the car manually but no lights or alarm went off.. that was kinda strange for a security system. ?!?

P.S: @Mods: I searched a lot in the forum before posting this. In case if there is a repeat of this question please move my thread respectively.

To check the alarm system keep the driver window rolled down and lock car standing outside.Now unlock the door by pulling the inside door handle and voila it starts screaming!

And one more thing.you can lock yourself inside by pressing the remote while sitting inside the car.Dont know how the system detects the key is inside the car.Also if you do try it you wont be able to lock it from outside too.You have to put the key back to the ignition and turn it to ready state and remove the key.Then it starts working again!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2010, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Re: i20 Rear Disc brake & Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honest advice : DON'T!

- The braking system is the single most important safety device in your car. Switching the rears from drum to disc is not a simple procedure. Trust me, you don't want any complications and / or unreliability in your braking system.

- Your warranty will effectively be nullified

- Remember, it's the front brakes that do most of the work anyways
I agree with GTO. When braking most of the weight is transferred to the front wheels, hence the front wheels have more braking power. The rear brakes are made discs for cars that are/will be driven in demanding conditions. Eg:- The VW Race Polo. In the Race Polo (and many other cars) it can be observed that rear discs are smaller than the front.

Besides the cost of putting discs on the rear wheels will cost around 20k which by the way is very expensive and a very tedious affair including changing/adjusting of the metering valve and proportioning valve and what not.

If you want disc brakes on rear wheels for purely aesthetic reasons, I recommend the attachment.

Although I do not have the source of the product below (should probably be available in Delhi). I am also in need of them.
Attached Thumbnails
i20 Rear Disc brake & Buzzer-coverracingdisc.jpg  

i20 Rear Disc brake & Buzzer-coverracingdisc2.jpg  

Old 12th December 2010, 22:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju

I agree with GTO. When braking most of the weight is transferred to the front wheels, hence the front wheels have more braking power. The rear brakes are made discs for cars that are/will be driven in demanding conditions. Eg:- The VW Race Polo. In the Race Polo (and many other cars) it can be observed that rear discs are smaller than the front.

Besides the cost of putting discs on the rear wheels will cost around 20k which by the way is very expensive and a very tedious affair including changing/adjusting of the metering valve and proportioning valve and what not.

If you want disc brakes on rear wheels for purely aesthetic reasons, I recommend the attachment.

Although I do not have the source of the product below (should probably be available in Delhi). I am also in need of them.

Dude thats great help. After hearing from the pro's I guess I shouldn't mess with the braking system. Probably will go for the aesthetic rotor covers.

Also regarding the alarm buzzer. Its not working on my car. Probably cause its the Sportz variant. Can anyone confirm pls ?
I sat in the car locked it with the keys in my hand then opened the car from inside. Nothing happened.
Similarly nothing happened when I locked the car from outside with my windows rolled down and I opened the car using the inside lock through the window. Also tried the same for the rear window.
Am I crazy or is this a flaw ? Whats the point of a security system that doesn't let me know if I'm being robbed.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:18   #6
BHPian

Please read the manual for the security system and if nothing is mentioned in it, then kindly check with the dealer on the usage
Old 13th December 2010, 21:06   #7
BHPian

Security system: probable cause

Quote:
Also regarding the alarm buzzer. Its not working on my car. Probably cause its the Sportz variant. Can anyone confirm pls ?
I sat in the car locked it with the keys in my hand then opened the car from inside. Nothing happened.
Similarly nothing happened when I locked the car from outside with my windows rolled down and I opened the car using the inside lock through the window. Also tried the same for the rear window.
Am I crazy or is this a flaw ? Whats the point of a security system that doesn't let me know if I'm being robbed.
As given in my car security system manual, the above occurs when the system is in valet mode (where the system behaves only as remote lock/unlock with the security features deactivated).

I suggest you read the car manual (if the system came as an OEM fitted) else the security system manual to deactivate the valet mode.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

@deepjaju Everybody who has asked you not to do it has never tried this themself, they just speak on hearsay. There are a lot of sucessful rear disk conversions, Until one tries one can never say its impossible. I agree installing ABS is complicated but not discs. Find out if a higher model of i10 has rear discs, if yes its a direct bolt on operation. otherwise tell me the PCD i will tell you which cars you can source this from. You can modify the front discs to be fitter in the rear but hand break will not function you need to figure it out hou you can modify the front discs to have a handbreak link. When you wanna do something do research, simply posting a question here will not give you answers, there will be a lot of people who you ask you to fit those dummy ones for asthetic purposes. First question you ask yourself before any mods is why do you need that mod?. If you feel the present breaks are inadequate you have a lot of options before the rear disc conversion. if its just for aesthetic purposes you might need one of those dummy discs.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks