Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 22:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5

Well just stumbled on this thread as it was bumped up

I am also going to take my car in next month for an air flow setup, so definitely found this an apt read at the right time

Quick question. Not only to frank, but to others as well. Is that set up correct. Does it have access to free flowing air and as it is resting at the back, wont it be prone to take in hot air

You may have change a bit of it since your last post, but going by what i see, i have these questions
Old 19th January 2011, 17:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Surprise, surprise!!!!!!
Finally 'mediated' with Dad and we NOW have a solution to everyone's troubles!!!!
I was quite sure I was going to keep the K&N filter, and I managed to convince Dad that the filter will not make as much 'noise' as it did when it was in it's 'stock' (according to K&N) position.
Hence, what we did was to make a kind of 'short RAM air intake' out of the K&N 57i and I went to Afzal (BAR Exhausts) known for his expertise in fabricating a good intake pipe.
That's it. We started at 4 pm, got done by 630 and we started her up. Pure stainless steel, angled to perfection, sealed to both terminal ends by two double clips. We drove a few meters and heard the pipe fouling with the bonnet and hence had to cut some of the pipe and do it again. Drove her back and she's driving really well. I daresay mjuch better, since we removed that filter from the 'back' of the engine, and it now lies in front, near the radiator (and more importantly near the grille, which means higher intake of cold air from outside and also, to an extent, dispersion of the sound)
The car sounds really different now (from the last time we had the filter on) and she really IS sucking in a lot of cool air from near that grille, which is evident in her eagerness to rev. It's most noticeable after 2000 RPM when it's sucking in a lot of air, and the 'pushed back in the seat' episodes are happening @ 3000 RPM regularly, alongwith a muted whoosh and sweet growl from the engine.
I am going to say those dreaded words, but here goes.
"This is it ;-)"

PS: What is left now is to wrap this SS pipe with some heat wrap. Anyone generous enough to donate some left-over heat wrap???
Attached Thumbnails
frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-17.46.40-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-17.46.48-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-17.46.57-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-17.47.06-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-17.47.18-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-19.16.26-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-19.16.36-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-19.16.47-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-19.16.55-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta tinkers ® with his Ford Fiesta S: Stage 0.5-20110103-19.17.03-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2011, 18:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks much better now. Being at the back was definitely not doing it any good, as forget about hot air, it was getting very little air.

Hence, you may have felt the drag you experienced. I am sure that problem must not be present anymore

What did it cost by the way, to fabricate the pipe. And since I am already in the middle of the message and the question came up, did you mention how much the cone costs?

Most Viewed