Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2005, 21:27   #1
BHPian

Import Engine from US/UK

Has anyone imported engines from abroad, from US...
I would like to know how easy is it to get a swift GTI twincam engine from abroad...
Thanks
Bruce
Old 20th December 2005, 21:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have not Imported any engines but a lot of them do come in.. maybe v1p3r can help you out with this.
Bro any comments

Last edited by Domnic : 21st December 2005 at 00:25.
Old 20th December 2005, 22:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

I assume you mean Viper, since it's his business...however I see you are in Bangalore, and I have a few contacts. PM me if you need anything like numbers, contacts, etc...
Old 21st December 2005, 01:55   #4
BHPian

Swift is a new car, maybe a year old in international market. Well, i believe the engine might not be available in india here due that fact. The next best place to look for that engine would be Japan, Instead of US/UK. Also I believe you must be looking for a new engine. See if someone can hook u up with some imported. Seems like VIPER has contacts.

Last edited by general_neo : 21st December 2005 at 01:56.
Old 21st December 2005, 07:49   #5
BANNED

Import it from Japan/singapore

My friend in San Diego imported a used engine of a Honda Accord, He paid $1500, the engine had 50K miles on it. His mechanic imported the engine from Japan. It was a sweet sounding engine for a great price. Countries with strict emmision norms have many good used engines available for good prices. I beleive a lot of people replace engines, in Japan. Most of the popular cars in the US have engines that are built elsewhere in the world. So, there is no point in importing it fromthe US. When you buy a car there is usually a import, and stocking fee, at a minimum you can avoid that.
-Prasadee
Old 21st December 2005, 10:03   #6
BANNED

hi Bruce,

I can help you with the same. Pm me for further details.

Viper
Old 21st December 2005, 20:28   #7
BHPian

Import Engine from US/UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo
Swift is a new car, maybe a year old in international market. .
I'm trying to source the swift gti, they are available at throw away prices abroad, i have found some engines as low as 400$!!
Esteem in India is called Swift abroad there are different versions to it...
The Swift GTI Turbo Twin is an excellent engine, many have moded this to a performance car.
So you know what i mean, how easy is to bring to India?
Old 21st December 2005, 20:43   #8
BHPian

Import Engine from US/UK

Thanks Prasad, any idea how from Japan / Singapore?
Old 21st December 2005, 21:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
My friend in San Diego imported a used engine of a Honda Accord, He paid $1500, the engine had 50K miles on it. His mechanic imported the engine from Japan. It was a sweet sounding engine for a great price. Countries with strict emmision norms have many good used engines available for good prices. I beleive a lot of people replace engines, in Japan. Most of the popular cars in the US have engines that are built elsewhere in the world. So, there is no point in importing it fromthe US. When you buy a car there is usually a import, and stocking fee, at a minimum you can avoid that.
-Prasadee

Thats exactly why i pointed towards japan. Coz my friends in US import most of the engines directly from Japan, Since you talkin about the old swift, you r probably right, try singapore then, coz many of these engines are refurbuished and sold to countries like india. Yes Pollution is the main reason for bannin these engines there.
Old 22nd December 2005, 00:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Engines are dead cheap in 'KL junkyard'(Kuala lumpur) and malaysia!

U can get a completely rebuilt engine.I suggest u get the 1.3 ltr turbo engine for ur swift.
Old 22nd December 2005, 08:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

Japan is the best place. Perfectly good cars are scrapped within five years due to a collusion with the government and insurance who insist on virtually dismantling the car for safety inspections making it expensive to keep the car. Hence these cars get exported or scrapped. The engines are hardly worn due as Japan speed limits are low
Old 1st March 2006, 17:03   #12
BHPian

Are these swift Gti engines a bolt on fit on the Esteems??Any other upgrades to be done, like suspension, Brakes and all that.
Can someone tell me howmuch it would cost for the engine and the installation for the same? And are they reliable?
Old 1st March 2006, 17:15   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
Are these swift Gti engines a bolt on fit on the Esteems??Any other upgrades to be done, like suspension, Brakes and all that.
Can someone tell me howmuch it would cost for the engine and the installation for the same? And are they reliable?

Hi,

You first need to specify which city you are from. Since your profile says you are a track racer I am assuming somewhere in the south.

The tuners in the city would be the best to advise on installation costs. It is a bolt on to the esteem. Upgrades to vital components are always advisable for any performance car. Engine cost will also vary depending on what all you require.

Pm me for further details or call do not want to talk shop here.

Viper9821421948
Old 18th December 2007, 11:40   #14
BHPian

OK... Finally I realized my dream, I successfully have a Twincam GTi Running with my old/lousy Carb Esteem; But all's just upto my expectations.
I went for a Tranny Swap too, the GT Gears are excellent...
There's still a lot of things to do I shall keep you all updated.
Old 18th December 2007, 11:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
OK... Finally I realized my dream, I successfully have a Twincam GTi Running with my old/lousy Carb Esteem; .
Bruce, Open up a new thread man. We need all the info. This is going to be one hell of a thread
Congrats

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks