Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 18:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps

if i need to replace the stock bulbs with 100/90 H4 phillips, would it require any rewiring work like adding a relay? Or can they just replace the stock bulbs in the safari.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:16   #17
BHPian

Yes,you have to put rellayto sustain the extra load for 100/90wbulbs.
tasuray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 22:06   #18
BHPian

I think this thread is dead for ages but I've got couple of queries:

1. Are 100-90 rally really suggested for the headlamps provided the kind of high output that they provide. Yes, I'm using a relay to supoort high wattage.
2. Since I've changed to rally & posted in the other forum, I'm getting many people advising against it.
3. They state that it'll damage the headlamp.

Can anyone here shed more light on this? Should I immediately remove them & change to other H4s?
Old 6th May 2018, 23:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post

Can anyone here shed more light on this? Should I immediately remove them & change to other H4s?

Yes it will damage the headlamps. (see the pic/..for reference only)

& its illegal.
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-headlightoxidation12years.jpg
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 23:41   #20
BANNED

Quote:
1. Are 100-90 rally really suggested for the headlamps provided the kind of high output that they provide. Yes, I'm using a relay to supoort high wattage.
I had Phillips Rally 100/90W with Hella wiring harness for more than 90,000 kms on my Swift ZDi.

Quote:
2. Since I've changed to rally & posted in the other forum, I'm getting many people advising against it.

Never in those 90,000 kms that I have clocked, no headlight fading/discoloration/turning orange or any such issues. It was perfect.

Lighting was brilliant too. You can check my Swift ownership thread for all details on them.
Old 7th May 2018, 02:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think this thread is dead for ages but I've got couple of queries:

For visibility, 100/90W bulb is in a different league altogether. But, reasons why I won't recommend it are:

1. It has the potential to damage your reflector and HL assembly. More so if the reflector is fiber/plastic based. I have seen it damaging the old metal based reflectors, so the new gen reflectors are definitely vulnerable. A friend used it on his last gen Verna, and the entire HL assembly faded out within a couple of years.

2. While the relay saves your switchgear, the extra load is always there on your car's electrical system.

3. It's illegal. While the cops don't bother most of the time, but you never know when you can land into trouble.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 7th May 2018 at 02:59.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 07:47   #22
BHPian

So after reading further:
1. Went through a4anurag's post & his swift ownership details & as per his review, pics, feedback there was no issue of any discoloration of the Headlamp/Glass/Fibre.
That gives a certain breather.

2. But seeing still many opposing that & going through the posts which post regarding the discoloration & damage to be HL assembly, it really does not go well down my belly.

It seems like that the owners have mixed reviews for this & it's definitely not something that's helping me.

If a light, so powerful that it can turn the glass yellow then how come it doesn't affect all the HLs & only some?
Is there a play or the kind of Relay you use affects it?

Or the vehicles before or after a certain MFD are getting affected by the powerful lamp. As in cars before 2011 would get discoloration or the latest cars get discoloration.

Any further classification would most definitely help.
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 07:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If a light, so powerful that it can turn the glass yellow then how come it doesn't affect all the HLs & only some?

Or the vehicles before or after a certain MFD are getting affected by the powerful lamp. As in cars before 2011 would get discoloration or the latest cars get discoloration.

I am using these bulbs on my 2011 WagonR for the past 1 year/17k kms. I don't see any change on the car's reflectors or glass/fibre cover. On the other hand, these lights have been a boon for me on my highway drives.

Hope it helps.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 08:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am using these bulbs on my 2011 WagonR for the past 1 year/17k kms. I don't see any change on the car's reflectors or glass/fibre cover. On the other hand, these lights have been a boon for me on my highway drives.

Hope it helps.

Does sure help ashis89. Aside, which relay do you use?

I think the way more & more 'mixed reviews' are popping up, it's leaving me more confused so as to get the bulbs immediately replaced or keep using them.

Wouldn't want the HL assembly to be damaged or discoloured.
Old 7th May 2018, 08:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does sure help ashis89. Aside, which relay do you use?

I think the way more & more 'mixed reviews' are popping up, it's leaving me more confused so as to get the bulbs immediately replaced or keep using them.

Wouldn't want the HL assembly to be damaged or discoloured.
Philips Rally 100/90 bulbs with Philips relay.

Why don't you use it for a few weeks or months and see for yourself? Keep monitoring the state of the headlamps frequently. You could click pictures for comparison (before and after). Since the bulbs are already installed, I believe there is no harm in testing them for some time.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 08:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Philips Rally 100/90 bulbs with Philips relay.

Why don't you use it for a few weeks or months and see for yourself? Keep monitoring the state of the headlamps frequently. You could click pictures for comparison (before and after). Since the bulbs are already installed, I believe there is no harm in testing them for some time.
I'm using the same relay. Yes, I'll test it for some time & keep taking the pics. If any sort of discolouration tends to start, I'll go for the replacement.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 7th May 2018, 10:12   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. But seeing still many opposing that & going through the posts which post regarding the discoloration & damage to be HL assembly, it really does not go well down my belly.

It seems like that the owners have mixed reviews for this & it's definitely not something that's helping me.

Not all reflectors and headlights are made equal. Not all vendors are the same. Despite being of the same model, the build and other parameters will never be the same between products. May be this is the reason why some face the issue of faded reflectors, whereas others don't.

I have personally seen 100/90 bulbs damaging metal and fiber reflectors, and hence I'll never vouch for them. There are some clever alternatives like say Philips Xtreme Vision 130 bulbs, whose throw is almost as good as a 100/90 bulb, but without any downside as it comes in stock rating of 60/55W and is plug and play.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:19   #28
BHPian

Well in my ownership of over 14 years in three zens and over a year in sx4 i haven't faced any discoloration issue.
All running on phillips rally bulbs,which i find seem to be best for highway running.
Use a good relay and wiring harness which is absolutely mandatory for higher wattage bulbs.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 12:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
There are some clever alternatives like say Philips Xtreme Vision 130 bulbs, whose throw is almost as good as a 100/90 bulb, but without any downside as it comes in stock rating of 60/55W and is plug and play.

Regards,
Shashi
I was vouching for Xtreme Vision Plus but then as I stated I got to Rally ones.
If they throw almost as good light as the rally then I don't see the 60/55W rating being as 'downside'. It's more of an upside, per say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Well in my ownership of over 14 years in three zens and over a year in sx4 i haven't faced any discoloration issue.
All running on phillips rally bulbs,which i find seem to be best for highway running.
Use a good relay and wiring harness which is absolutely mandatory for higher wattage bulbs.
Lucky You! Hope I too don't feel the heat & everything goes in Smooth.

After Rally 100/90W, the feels:

Low Beam

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-capture.jpg

High Beam
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-capture1.jpg
catchdoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 21:33   #30
BHPian

Can't merge or Edit the previous post.

Sorry for b2b posts.

Philips Rally 100/90W Update

I observed that the headlamp assembly heats up pretty much. Yes, it's expected that 100/90 will produce almost 40%-50% more heat than the stock 60/55W.

What I observed:
1. The upper part of the HL (Part facing sky which meets fender & bonnet) was very hot. The first time I touched it, I immediately removed my hand. I then placed my hand again & felt the heat. It was really on a higher end.
2. The front part of the HL was less hot than the top part of the lamp. But I think it was still justified.

It's really got me worried.

Can anyone here share their experience from the said bulb setup? It be a great help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks