Old 7th May 2018, 23:38   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
Can't merge or Edit the previous post.

Sorry for b2b posts.

Philips Rally 100/90W Update

I observed that the headlamp assembly heats up pretty much. Yes, it's expected that 100/90 will produce almost 40%-50% more heat than the stock 60/55W.

What I observed:
1. The upper part of the HL (Part facing sky which meets fender & bonnet) was very hot. The first time I touched it, I immediately removed my hand. I then placed my hand again & felt the heat. It was really on a higher end.
2. The front part of the HL was less hot than the top part of the lamp. But I think it was still justified.

It's really got me worried.

Can anyone here share their experience from the said bulb setup? It be a great help.
I have observed the same behavior in my car. However, like I said, the lights haven't faced any issue till now. I am assuming the headlamp plastics are designed to withstand all these heat. The way the summers are in our country, I am pretty sure the lights would have to bear similar heat even during the day.

I have driven for close to 12 hrs almost non-stop with these bulbs on. Cold rain water falling on these hot plastics have brought no damage as well. I could think of these 2 extreme scenarios.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
1. Are 100-90 rally really suggested for the headlamps provided the kind of high output that they provide. Yes, I'm using a relay to supoort high wattage.
2. Since I've changed to rally & posted in the other forum, I'm getting many people advising against it.
3. They state that it'll damage the headlamp.
I have recently put 100/90 watt bulbs in our Ecosport, I went with Excelite bulbs as I couldn't find the Philips bulbs. Since then we have done around 6k km & the reflectors haven't yet shown any sign of deterioration. Having said that, higher wattage bulb would mean more heat & more heat might damage the reflectors in the long run.

Still I went ahead with the higher wattage bulbs because the stock headlights of Ecosport aren't adequate for highway runs & being able to see the road properly at night matters to me more than the probability of the reflectors turning dark. In short, I have taken a calculated risk & if the reflectors turn dark in the long run (say after 100k km), I will have to get the headlights replaced.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 7th May 2018 at 23:47.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 18:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have observed the same behavior in my car. However, like I said, the lights haven't faced any issue till now.
Hey Ashi89,
Thanks for the input. It gives some relief to read your first-hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Since then we have done around 6k km & the reflectors haven't yet shown any sign of deterioration.
Good to know! Hope it stays that way chiranjitp!
Old 8th December 2021, 16:08   #34
BHPian

There are some fools who drive the vehicle from start to stop in High Beam. If you drive like this, within hours it will become damn hot and needless to say any reflector will get damaged in the long run.

Headlights, Indicators, Horns are all communication devices, to get information for yourself and to inform other road users. Nowadays people are using them to scare others instead of communicating .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks