Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 18:14   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
HID kit will light up the road and will blind other drivers.
The Kelvin temperature just tells the light color, if a kit tells you brightness by "K" they are fraud, run away.
Light output is measured in Lumens, not Kelvins

As for Philips HID Kits, there is no such thing as a philips HID kit.
If a seller is offering to sell you philips HID kit he is a fraud and please stay away from such sellers.

Hi TSK,

Are you saying that Philips do not manufacture HIDs? Because ive spoken to the Philips guys and they claim they do, but do not have high/low beams. They just have one single beam.

I presume the 8000K is the blueist colour? Do you not suggest i fit HIDs on my vehicle? Your post seems to be discouraging me to do so. If so, kindly let me know a suitable alternative.

Epic
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:33   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi TSK,

Are you saying that Philips do not manufacture HIDs? Because ive spoken to the Philips guys and they claim they do, but do not have high/low beams. They just have one single beam.

I presume the 8000K is the blueist colour? Do you not suggest i fit HIDs on my vehicle? Your post seems to be discouraging me to do so. If so, kindly let me know a suitable alternative.

Epic
Philips makes OEM kits for HIDs. Most HID kits by third party guys say "philips/hella" but thats not the case.
If you can source a philips box packed HID, nothing like it, but its not available in India.
Look at : Philips Xenon HID Lighting Technology
From the web page:
NOTE : Xenon HID bulbs can only be used in vehicles that have HID lighting systems. They cannot be used as an upgrade in conventional headlights.

Philips does not make kits for fitting into your conventional reflector.
You can go for a HID kit in your swift, but the problem will be that you will blind oncoming drivers a lot because the reflector is desihned for halogen and not HID arc

Moreover their kit is only for either high or low beam not H4 fitment. So only if your car came with HID fitment, i.e. HID projector fitment, you can plug in the philips HID kit.

For really good lighting I suggest you source
Philips X-treme Power: Brightest halogen bulb available

I have seen two HID setups till in conventional lights. 1 toyota corolla and one swift. The light was very bright and is very blinding, but if you see actual light on road, the benefit is not as apparent. Its there, but the blinding factor is manifold.

If you really want HID, get a HID fitment in fog lamp enclosure and get high performance halogens in your ordinary H4 headlight enclosure.

I would also suggest you read this
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

If you are really serious about HID consider going through the HID lighting forums, the knowledge you have there is far more than this thread, as that entire forum is dedicated to HIDs.
HiDPlanet.com :: Index
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:12   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hi everyone! In my Ford Ikon, I got 55/60w headlights. It was so pathetic. So, I upgraded to Philips Rally 90/100w. It still seemed so bad. So i tried to adjust the beams to my preference using the adjustment screws, making it just better. I commute on a 40:60 basis on city:highway. Somehow even 90/100w isn't suiting the night driving. I drove another accent with just the factory based 55/60w headlights and that rocked! I was on low beam and it was perfect. Does the Ikon have a flaw in its reflector that doesn't focus properly on the road? Can anyone help?

Don't know if it's or not, but where can i get the screwdriver for the Ikon's headlight beam adjustment screws, because I don't want to spoil the screws by using just a plain Philips screwdriver? I tried in Mahavir Autos, Madras but they did not have it. Please I do need it! Already Ford's adjustment is pathetic.
Hi Absar

Im a new member with Team-BHP, i also have faced the same problem with light focus on my Ikon, i had changed it to Phillips 100/130 first, it was good but it was not good when it come to the focus,i changed it to excess heating and changed it to Phillips Bluvision but still has the problem with the focus.
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:48   #214
Team-BHP Support

for iKON use a regular spanner, its tricky to put hands in but it works, size 10 if i remember correct
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:45   #215
BHPian

Quote:
... but the problem will be that you will blind oncoming drivers a lot because the reflector is desihned for halogen and not HID.
Moreover their kit is only for either high or low beam not H4 fitment.

Thanks tsk1979, that addresses lots of questions.
But, why would HID blind oncoming drivers if the setup has been made for low beam. I understand the issue of reflector, but if the HID is setup only for low beam, there would be no blinding for oncoming traffic.I have seen certain setups made that way. The examples you referred about might have used high beam for HIDs. Isn't it?
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:24   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Philips makes OEM kits for HIDs. Most HID kits by third party guys say "philips/hella" but thats not the case.
If you can source a philips box packed HID, nothing like it, but its not available in India.
Look at : Philips Xenon HID Lighting Technology
From the web page:
If you are really serious about HID consider going through the HID lighting forums, the knowledge you have there is far more than this thread, as that entire forum is dedicated to HIDs.
HiDPlanet.com :: Index
Hi TSK,

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the websites. The Daniel Stern site made alot of sense and so, yeah, ive understood that i am not supposed to fit HIDs in a halogen setup but however can fit HIDs n a projector setup. I guess i will take your suggestion and just install HIDs for the fog lamps. By the way, are the Phillips X-treme Power bule in colour or just normal? Any idea what is the power of the bulb, if they are available in Mumbai and where and approximate cost?

Epic
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:50   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Thanks tsk1979, that addresses lots of questions.
But, why would HID blind oncoming drivers if the setup has been made for low beam. I understand the issue of reflector, but if the HID is setup only for low beam, there would be no blinding for oncoming traffic.I have seen certain setups made that way. The examples you referred about might have used high beam for HIDs. Isn't it?
Even on low beam there will be some glare. The Corolla I saw had xenon in low beams, and it was pretty blinding too, though not as bad as high beams.
Daniel stern link will explain the reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi TSK,

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the websites. The Daniel Stern site made alot of sense and so, yeah, ive understood that i am not supposed to fit HIDs in a halogen setup but however can fit HIDs n a projector setup. I guess i will take your suggestion and just install HIDs for the fog lamps. By the way, are the Phillips X-treme Power bule in colour or just normal? Any idea what is the power of the bulb, if they are available in Mumbai and where and approximate cost?

Epic
No Idea about them. Online sites like Philips H4 X-treme 80% brighter and fully road legal
quote around 25 Pounds/pair, but I don't know how reliable they are.
If you can find a reliable online seller who ships worldwide you can order them online.
The bulb is 60/55W and does not require any relay/wiring change.
The color of light is white and not blue, I guess it will be around 3800-4000K
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:35   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even on low beam there will be some glare. The Corolla I saw had xenon in low beams, and it was pretty blinding too, though not as bad as high beams.

No Idea about them. Online sites like Philips H4 X-treme 80% brighter and fully road legal
If you can find a reliable online seller who ships worldwide you can order them online.

Hi TSK,

Thanks once again. But since we don't know about the reliability of the bulbs and they are not available here, i don't want to take a chance. Could you recommend something that is easily available here in Mumbai?

Epic
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:29   #219
Team-BHP Support

Philips Bluevision/ Narva in 100/90 or vision+ in 60/55 if you want white light.
Hella Gold 100/90 if you are okay with yellow light.
Osram silverstars 100/90 are among the best if you can get them.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:31   #220
BHPian

Thanks tsk1979 !

Quote:

Thanks Dude. You saved my 20K !! HIDs on conventional halogen fitments is a waste as per the Daniel Stern link you posted. It's better to opt for brighter halogens than restraining distant visibility by using HID kits.

Last edited by scorp 1 : 23rd February 2007 at 11:36.
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:28   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you really want HID, get a HID fitment in fog lamp enclosure and get high performance halogens in your ordinary H4 headlight enclosure.
How would one go about this?
Old 23rd February 2007, 23:17   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
How would one go about this?

Get Philips crystal vision 90/100 Watts bulbs for Headlights and got xenon Hid kits for fog lamps.
Old 26th February 2007, 09:00   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Philips Bluevision/ Narva in 100/90 or vision+ in 60/55 if you want white light.
Hella Gold 100/90 if you are okay with yellow light.
Osram silverstars 100/90 are among the best if you can get them.

Hi TSK,

What about Osram Cool Blue? Are they better then the Silverstar? Cool Blues are available for fog lamps too so im considering that but only on your recommendation. Do let me know.

Epic
Old 26th February 2007, 10:47   #224
Team-BHP Support

Can't say much about that.
Osram Cool blue and Osram Silverstars are supposed to have similar light output, with only difference being the color of light, but the best way to test would be to put one in each headlight and see the difference yourself.
This is the best way to compare any halogens.
If you like white light, Osram cool blue are among the best, but be aware that since the bulb has a blue tint, you will lose some light, though it may not be so much to be noticeable.
So fit in both, and choose the one you like.
Old 26th February 2007, 15:13   #225
Senior - BHPian

Jeetu could you pleasew post the details on the "white lights in the fog lamps" [COLOR=#000000]details like power rating an manufacturer name ?[/COLOR]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks