Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 14:21   #3046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I indulged in a pair of Philips Xtreme Power +80% 60/55W H4 bulbs for my Swift. Initial impressions are that they are brighter, but +80% is a long call. It seems more like 40-50% brighter, maybe. Also, the beam is more concentrated, compared to the somewhat wider spread of the OEM Halonix H4 bulbs.
You are right about that. The +30, +50, +80 H4 lamps are rated for the higher output by measuring at the beam's hotspot and how much further it goes, not the full-beam pattern. So, a +80 may be only 40-50% brighter in road area close to you and on the sides.

It will run much further in high beam than the base H4, so useful for highway driving. Besides, on our roads, I always prefer as much extra light as I can get when driving in the night !

You can check out the beam pattern of a +50 compared to base H4:
http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/SBL_Headlamp.pdf

The +80 H4s normally run much higher temperature, and the higher color temperature means the beam color will be more towards the white/blue end. (and, more retained heat in your headlamp assembly. can be a problem sometimes.)

There are some +50 lamps that are reputed to get very close to 100/80w output. E.g. the The Osram PN#64205 70/65w H4 (used to be nominally rated at 60/55w, as H4s can be legally go up to 72/65w power).
Old 4th July 2009, 15:05   #3047
BHPian

Xenons and HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I presume xenons = HID. Is it a simple Plug and play or one needs serious wiring etc. costs please?
Xenon is quite a buzzword and used both for HIDs and Xenon-filled halogen lamps.

High quality/performance halogen lamps are filled with Xenon at pressure because it allows the lamp to be run at a higher temperature (more current, more light) for the same life. Or, longer life for the same light output. Slightly cheaper halogen lamps have krypton in them and most of the Xenon halogen performance. Standard/cheapest halogen lamps tend to have argon.

All halogens also have a halogen gas in them, usually iodine. The halogen cycle in these lamps deposits the tungsten vapour back on the filament, keeping the lamp body (glass/quartz) clean from blackening and increasing filament life. This is what makes a halogen different from a normal (incandescent) filament light bulb.

Last edited by guptad42 : 4th July 2009 at 15:08. Reason: to clarify the meaning
Old 4th July 2009, 23:15   #3048
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
That is what i understood from the forum. Philips packing does not have any MRP on the cover however the Nightbreakers MRP sticker says 1375.
Yes, the prices are not mentioned on the products as they are direct imports. The stockist (AK Traders) here in Bangalore has a price list with him that show the prices of the entire range of Philips bulbs.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:43   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Xenon is quite a buzzword and used both for HIDs and Xenon-filled halogen lamps.

High quality/performance halogen lamps are filled with Xenon at pressure because it allows the lamp to be run at a higher temperature (more current, more light) for the same life.
Thanks. Thus I am to understand one can easily interchange them with stock bulbs keeping wattage same. Any idea of the costs?
Old 8th July 2009, 12:38   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
bullboy, where is this ?
Car Shopee.
I inquired at car palace also they have crystal vision priced at 1425/- a pair
Old 8th July 2009, 12:40   #3051
BHPian

Can anybody help me to source a pair of extreme vision from bangalore plsss ..
Old 8th July 2009, 18:51   #3052
BHPian

guys could you help me with the models of hella lamps available in the market and their prices pls ? i think the ones on the amby featured on our home page looks quite cool. Am looking at these for my swift.
Old 8th July 2009, 18:59   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Car Shopee.
I inquired at car palace also they have crystal vision priced at 1425/- a pair
try the car spare parts shops at killipalam. shankar managed to get them cheaper. they may not have them in stock though.
Old 8th July 2009, 21:57   #3054
Senior - BHPian

@bullboy and greenie,
crystal vision was available at car style, near the bevco @ padivattom, vazhakala (palarivattom, kakkanad) for 950 a pair.
Old 9th July 2009, 09:51   #3055
BHPian

The Roadking's headlamp dome for cars ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
guys could you help me with the models of hella lamps available in the market and their prices pls ? i think the ones on the amby featured on our home page looks quite cool. Am looking at these for my swift.
have you guys considered the headlamp assembly of the Yezdi Roadking to be fitted onto your cars ? Comes finished in Chrome, is as big as a Hella 3000, has some neat grills on it to prevent damage to the glass area and the best part is that it costs less than 500 bucks a piece !

My questions are :

a) Can this accomodate a bakelite holder that houses a 100/90 or would some modifications be required ?

b) Would the reflectors be capable of handling the heat of a 100/90 ?

c) What would be cost of wiring, brackets, labour etc work out to ? Looking at an instal in my swift

d) Are there any other functional, good looking but cost effective alternatives to this ?
Old 9th July 2009, 14:21   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
try the car spare parts shops at killipalam. shankar managed to get them cheaper. they may not have them in stock though.
Tried swaraj ,car park etc , some dont know about these bulbs ,swaraj told that they dont stock it as no body buys coz is it is costlier than others.

Last edited by bullboy : 9th July 2009 at 14:24.
Old 9th July 2009, 14:25   #3057
Senior - BHPian

bullboy, why not bite the bullet and go 100/90
If they want to , cops will fine you either way
Old 10th July 2009, 10:31   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening got a setup done for my OHC, 100/90 bulbs+wiring+relay ( all were hella products), the moment I reached my home after the install, my left side halogen bulb got bust(mild phat sound) bulb shattered into pieces, I might have used the lights for hardly 25 mins. What could be the issue? The products are genuine & the dealer has promised me to replace the bulb.But I want to know as why this happened ?

Last edited by sushrutha : 10th July 2009 at 10:32.
Old 10th July 2009, 11:08   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yesterday evening got a setup done for my OHC, 100/90 bulbs+wiring+relay ( all were hella products), the moment I reached my home after the install, my left side halogen bulb got bust(mild phat sound) bulb shattered into pieces, I might have used the lights for hardly 25 mins. What could be the issue? The products are genuine & the dealer has promised me to replace the bulb.But I want to know as why this happened ?
Possible reasons are: Bad bulb (manufacturing defect etc.) or, dirt on the bulb - ensure that the bulbs are never touched by bare hands, dirty cloth etc.

Cheers,
Old 10th July 2009, 11:17   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Possible reasons are: Bad bulb (manufacturing defect etc.) or, dirt on the bulb - ensure that the bulbs are never touched by bare hands, dirty cloth etc.

Cheers,
Probabaly yes. Apart from it, rain was slightly jittering around, Can this also be a reason ? Water drop on the bulb ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks