Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 19:13   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Will I be able to fit them on my 1998 Zen's bumper?

which one would be a better choice?

Amazon.com: Navigator NV-510W Fog Light Kit: Automotive

Amazon.com: Hella H71010241 Optilux 55-Watt Fog Light Kit: Automotive
Old 30th July 2009, 19:18   #3122
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
How to adjust the headlamps. I am not able to help myself. I have opened the hood only to find that there is no screw to adjust the headlight. Dealer was asked to fix the issue, but he just worsened the case.
aaggoswami,

This is very scary. Every headlamp assembly will have screws to adjust the beam. Why don't you get it checked at another MASS or go to a wheel alignment dealer and get it checked there? Most of them have a machine bu which they adjust the beam and they do a good job as well.

Quote:
Is it possible to just plonk in 100W H4 in Baleno without relay? My main query is whether the relay is required or not. From my knowledge, it is indeed required, but I have seen quite a few cars without them running reliably.
Do not upgrade to a 100/90W bulb without a relay and ceramic holders. The electrical system of the Baleno is designed to handle a 60/55W bulb. Anything higher and you will have to put in a relay.

Those who are running a higher wattage bulb without a relay have done so by putting in a higher rated fuse which is a recipe for disaster as the strain on the electrical system will be immense and could lead to melting of wires.
Old 30th July 2009, 19:25   #3123
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Hi Benji,

Find my answers in bold.

Cheers,
gpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Some simple queries:
1. How many bulbs should I change? - both of course if you are changing the ones in your headlamp cluster.
2. What are H4 and H7? What should I get for my U-VA? (Extremely basic query!) - Most headlamp assemblies have a H4, check your owners manual and it should be mentioned. Else, peer into the front of the glass in sunlight and look on the round steel base of the bulb and it will be mentioned there.
3. The Chevy dealer quoted a price of 1,800 for a pair (H7) and 300 bucks for fitting them. Obviously these are way too high! - Yes, these are astronomical even if your headlamp is a H7.
4. What is the Philips equivalent for NighBreakers? - Philips Xtreme Power bulbs (60/55W)
Old 30th July 2009, 19:29   #3124
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
I want to know what are the best Bulbs that you can install in the car in STOCK form without overloading the electrics of the car (a.k.a blown fuses / melted bulb holder).
Hi Siddharth,

You can either switch to Philips Xtreme Power bulbs or Osram Nighbreakers. Both of them are of the plug and play variant and will not need any upgrade to the wiring or fitment of additional relays. The wattage is also 60/55W which means a direct fit into the holder of the Swift.

If you ask me which one I prefer, I'll go with the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
gpa
Old 30th July 2009, 19:52   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I
2. What are H4 and H7?
H4 is the dual filament headlamp bulb.
H7, H8, H9 and H11 are single filament. In some cars, we see two pair of bulbs. In this case they use individual bulbs for high beam and low beam, so they use single filament bulb.
H4 being dual filament comes with most of the cars, obviously it has two filaments, one for high beam and other for low beam.

Personally I have observed and experienced that dual filament bulbs found in Palio, Civic, Altis are better than the regular H4 equipped headlamps.
It depends on what your UVA has.

This is as per the best of my knowledge.
Correct and update me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
aaggoswami,

1) This is very scary. Every headlamp assembly will have screws to adjust the beam. Why don't you get it checked at another MASS or go to a wheel alignment dealer and get it checked there? Most of them have a machine bu which they adjust the beam and they do a good job as well.

2) Do not upgrade to a 100/90W bulb without a relay and ceramic holders. The electrical system of the Baleno is designed to handle a 60/55W bulb. Anything higher and you will have to put in a relay.

3) running a higher wattage bulb without a relay have done so by putting in a higher rated fuse which is a recipe for disaster as the strain on the electrical system will be immense and could lead to melting of wires.
Thanks GPA!

1) Called all of them, but each and everyone would say " Bring the car over here ". The end result is the problem is not solved and further the things are getting bad. Main reason is that they do setting at daytime. And most of them think I am a joker and they are the perfect humans to know what is best setting for me. Whenever I have worked asked them to work, the settings have gone bad. Recently my mom refused to travel at night in Baleno. We had take out M800.
I am frustrated to no end.

I have posted a few images in the thread that I will be posting here.

If you or any other user can help me finding that screw, do pin point. I am tired of taking car everywhere.
I think this is not the screw, so if possible just give tell me where is it located, if possible.

2) Quite expensive, I think I will first sort out focusing.

3) Fuse will not be touched at any cost unless there is some major issue. Thanks for warning me.

EDIT :
@siddharthdeb:
First of all, try some better bulbs from Philips with similar watts. This will be of help. If still this does not work, you will have to work on electricals. But first step is to buy some better bulbs. Philips nightbreaker is IMO the most sought after on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image002.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image004.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image005.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image006.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image007.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th July 2009 at 19:58.
Old 30th July 2009, 20:00   #3126
gpa
Senior - BHPian

aaggoswami,

From the few pics you have posted, it looks like the headlamps have not been mounted in the right place. Also, the screws that you need to adjust to tweak the beam throw are just behind the cluster.

Focussing of headlamps (if using a machine) can be done at anytime of the day. If you are getting them focussed by parking in front of a wall, then its best done at night.

I am not too familiar with the Baleno's headlamp assembly, so you can check with other Baleno owners on ths forum.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 30th July 2009, 20:36   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) From the few pics you have posted, it looks like the headlamps have not been mounted in the right place.

2) Focussing of headlamps (if using a machine) can be done at anytime of the day.

3) the screws that you need to adjust to tweak the beam throw are just behind the cluster. I am not too familiar with the Baleno's headlamp assembly, so you can check with other Baleno owners on ths forum.
1) Can you elaborate ? How did you note this ?Or is it that the entire assembly is a different or odd ? The entire units were changed after accident.

2) All the places I visited, they did it with the help of a wall during daytime. Car was parked very near to wall.

3) I did check with RJstyles, he confirmed that there is a screw atop the headlamp assembly. But I am not able to locate it.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:25   #3128
BHPian

Quote:
I posted these queries a couple of months ago in this thread but got no reply:
I'm not very happy with my U-VA lights. They're just about sufficient - especially on the highway.
I'm planning on switching over to Osram Nightbreakers with stock wattage.
Some simple queries:
1. How many bulbs should I change? - Two
2. What are H4 and H7? What should I get for my U-VA? (Extremely basic query!) - H4
3. Noone is Trichy has these lamps. I was considering buying them online from ebay or powerbulbs. Is there any way of getting them? The Chevy dealer quoted a price of 1,800 for a pair (H7) and 300 bucks for fitting them. Obviously these are way too high!
4. What is the Philips equivalent for NighBreakers? - Philips Xtreme Power
I had switched to Philips Xtreme Power 60/55W H4 lamps in the headlights on my U-VA around 8 months ago. They are wonderful and much better than stock. The pair cost me Rs. 1250 at that time. Make sure you get them from authorized dealers so that you get the originals.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:34   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
1) Can you elaborate ? How did you note this ?Or is it that the entire assembly is a different or odd ? The entire units were changed after accident.

2) All the places I visited, they did it with the help of a wall during daytime. Car was parked very near to wall.

3) I did check with RJstyles, he confirmed that there is a screw atop the headlamp assembly. But I am not able to locate it.
A colleague in office has a Baleno. Let me see if I can take some pics.
Old 31st July 2009, 11:29   #3130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post

I want to know what are the best Bulbs that you can install in the car in STOCK form without overloading the electrics of the car (a.k.a blown fuses / melted bulb holder).
All cars have different reflector shapes, so what works in one car may not be as good in another.
I suggest you try before you buy.
In stock 60/55W you have 2 options
1. The 350rs/pair Osram +50%
These are quite good for some, but some have noticed no difference, however they are a good starting point, cheap and long lasting
2. The Osram nightbreaker +90% and Philips Extreme power +80%
These will have lower life, but give more light. Again try before you buy. Cost is 750rs/pair approx, but beware. Fakes are very common, so buy from a big reliable shop.
Old 31st July 2009, 11:29   #3131
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just seemed that things were not fitted the right way. To be honest, I wanted to ask you if the car has been involved in a frontal shunt. Just wait to the_maassk to post a few pics which should help you.

Quote:
If the lights are being aligned by throwing the beams onto a wall, then it should be done at night. I'm surprised that they did not focuss the beam using the headlamp alignment machine. Can you check if any dealer indeed has such a machine and then get it checked there?
Old 31st July 2009, 12:03   #3132
BHPian

Okay. Here are the pics from my friend's Baleno assembly. I think they look the same as yours!
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0267.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0268.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0269.jpg  

Old 31st July 2009, 15:30   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) To be honest, I wanted to ask you if the car has been involved in a frontal shunt.

2) Can you check if any dealer indeed has such a machine and then get it checked there?
1) Yes. Quite sometime ago. There is a separate thread and my experience about the dealer and bill of repair too. The thread is : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ely-small.html

2) the_maassk has given me reference of a place. I will visit that place in a day or two. Car is currently out of town. I will go there and atleast have a talk with the person referred by the_maassk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Okay. Here are the pics from my friend's Baleno assembly. I think they look the same as yours!
Thanks a lot! Helped me in gauging that installation atleast is not wrong.
Dad wants to make changes in mounting points, put in wahsers at the lower mounts of Baleno. I am against it.
Old 1st August 2009, 03:58   #3134
BHPian

I want to switch my current stock bulbs of my Ford Ikon for better visibility n light(ofcourse..lol). Can someone plz suggest me of the best bulbs for my car which are street legal?. Also plz let me know where i can buy and get them fixed in bangalore.. Thanx in advance...

- Pr
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:00   #3135
BHPian

Powerful bulbs for a santro xing

Hey guys,

I plan to change my Santro Xing's stock bulb to something more powerful, The current ones are doing good justice but not enough justice to make the high beam drivers switch to low beams.

I do not wish to install any relays or ceramic holders or anything, Suggest me a more powerful 'plug and play(drive)' bulbs, The current ones are Phillips 45/50. Can i install 90/100 without any alterations?

Most Viewed