Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:00   #3736
Senior - BHPian

AutoLighting Gurus : Need a bit of input here!

I've got a Palio, I plan on upgrading the headlights and this the following I plan on doing, please let me know if I am going wrong anywhere or is there a better option for me.

1. Installing a Bosch Double Headlamp relay
2. Upgrading the H7 Lo Beam to Flosser 70W SilverBlue Bulbs (Quoted: 400 bux a piece)
3. Upgrading the H1 Hi Beam to Phillips Rally 100W Bulbs (Quoted: 120-140 bux a piece)
4. An alternate upgrade to the Hi Beam is to go for H1 Flosser 90W Bulbs (Quoted: 250 bux a piece)

Keeping the Lo as white ish light and the high as yellow so I can the best of both worlds.

Please advise!
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:02   #3737
BHPian

I am thinking of upgrading the Headlights of my NHC.
Upgrade stock bulbs or go for additional lights(LightForce ..?) advisable?

Any feedback on upgrade specific to NHC will be helpful (pros&cons) considering lots of night highway driving
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:48   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I too had done this and also put in a huge relay but 1 year down the line the voltage regulator conked off and with it all the bulbs that were switched on at that time.
===================
I suggest you to use Philip's XP bulbs with 60/55 rating to be on the safe side if you drive a lot in the night as you would not want to be stranded in the night with family.
Hi So if we upgrade our bulbs to 100\90 can we not use the A\C in any car.. or is it specific only to indica. Can someone shed some light please

Is it true that if I upgrade my Verna CRDi to 100\90 I will not be able to use the A\C at nights. Will it do any damage to the voltage regulator. Can anyone shed some light please. If thats the case I might want to revert to stock lighting. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2010 at 21:47. Reason: Back to back posts, EDIT the original post instead. Thanks
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:53   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
...Can someone tell me where I can get Hella Gold 100\90 in bangalore ?...
If it is a VFM 90/100 that you are looking out for, go for Philips Rally 90/100. Best in class and costs ~130Rs per bulb; they are sold in single units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
white halogens are useless in rains . you would need to go for HID+projector setup which would be costly.
+1 to that! White halogens, especially after markets ones, are actually a major risk when driving during rain!

Quote:
Hi So if we upgrade our bulbs to 100\90 can we not use the A\C in any car.. or is it specific only to indica. Can someone shed some light please

Is it true that if I upgrade my Verna CRDi to 100\90 I will not be able to use the A\C at nights. Will it do any damage to the voltage regulator. Can anyone shed some light please. If thats the case I might want to revert to stock lighting. Thanks.
Sammy,

My Alto, with 90/100, running for the last 5 years; have run it continuously for 5 hours with high beam, with a/c and sometimes, with wipers also on. Audio too. No issues so far. I am on my 3rd set of bulbs.

Similar setup in a Estilo, Swift and Palio in the family. No issues so far, touch wood.

As for DrPullock's case, his Indica, I believe, was a major cause of pain for him, unfortunately.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:08   #3740
BHPian

Quote:

hi 100/90 bulbs installed with relay wont cause any issue. You can use the A/C night/day
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:32   #3741
BHPian

I have noticed one thing post upgrade to 90/10 Philips Rally with Hella Relay kit in my ANHC.

In night the moment i switch off the headlight the illumination of meters and music system gets brighter and if i switch on the light they get a little dim.

I am not sure its happening post upgrade to 90/100 or it is a standard feature, I didnt noticed it when I was using stock bulbs, but as my car is very new (15days), I might have missed noticing it as well.

Experts please comment on this.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:07   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

I've got a Palio, I plan on upgrading the headlights and this the following I plan on doing, please let me know if I am going wrong anywhere or is there a better option for me.

2. Upgrading the H7 Lo Beam to Flosser 70W SilverBlue Bulbs (Quoted: 400 bux a piece)
3. Upgrading the H1 Hi Beam to Phillips Rally 100W Bulbs (Quoted: 120-140 bux a piece)
4. An alternate upgrade to the Hi Beam is to go for H1 Flosser 90W Bulbs (Quoted: 250 bux a piece)

Keeping the Lo as white ish light and the high as yellow so I can the best of both worlds.

Please advise!
Lighting gurus, any advice for the above?

Going to buy the bulbs most probably this evening.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:41   #3743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

Please advise!

Lighting gurus, any advice for the above?

Going to buy the bulbs most probably this evening.
Hi Praful,

I also have a palio, the first set up with the headlamps were Lo 80W H7 philips and 100W H1 for high beam

The fuse kept conking off due to the extreme heat/current in the wiring. Now I have swapped the H1 100W with 55W hella H1, there seems to be no problems with the fuse and other heating related issues. The lighting would be sufficient in the current set up.

However If you need additional lighting, I would suggest, keep both the high and low beams at 55W with Osram night breakers and then there is hella rally 700FF pencil beam lights which can really make the on coming traffic to dip their headlights.

I am planning for the second option with the hella set up, estimated cost is around 6.5K including the clamps, hella lights and wiring.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:53   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Hi Praful,

I also have a palio, the first set up with the headlamps were Lo 80W H7 philips and 100W H1 for high beam

The fuse kept conking off due to the extreme heat/current in the wiring. Now I have swapped the H1 100W with 55W hella H1, there seems to be no problems with the fuse and other heating related issues. The lighting would be sufficient in the current set up.

However If you need additional lighting, I would suggest, keep both the high and low beams at 55W with Osram night breakers and then there is hella rally 700FF pencil beam lights which can really make the on coming traffic to dip their headlights.

I am planning for the second option with the hella set up, estimated cost is around 6.5K including the clamps, hella lights and wiring.
The second option seems enticing, will definitely have a look at it once you have done it.

When you were running the Lo 80W and Hi 100W combination were you running a relay and cutout?
Old 4th March 2010, 00:39   #3745
BHPian

Hey guys,
I am dam confused. I have searched the forum for answers still not sure. So please help me. Here are my doubts:
1. If I fit xenons on my civic. Do i need to get projectors?
2. Can they be fit in the current tray?
3. Will i need to change the entire assembly?
4. Approximate costs.

Regards,
Karan.
Old 4th March 2010, 01:09   #3746
BHPian

@TheBeastFieast thats a standard feature in the honda city so dont worry about it.
Old 4th March 2010, 06:59   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadkaran View Post
Hey guys,
I am dam confused. I have searched the forum for answers still not sure. So please help me. Here are my doubts:
1. If I fit xenons on my civic. Do i need to get projectors?
2. Can they be fit in the current tray?
3. Will i need to change the entire assembly?
4. Approximate costs.
1. not necessarily, but having projectors would be nice. the stock reflectors are not designed for xenons, and the beam pattern would be affected, and you might be blinding people

2. tray? if you mean the headlight assembly, just the xenon conversion kit would be a plug and play affair. however, retrofitting projectors would be costlier

3. you can probably use your existing headlights and have them retrofitted, or buy a replacement set with projectors
4. the xenon kit alone costs ~10k. replacement headlights depends on the make of the car, not sure about civic prices
Old 4th March 2010, 12:22   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
I have noticed one thing post upgrade to 90/10 Philips Rally with Hella Relay kit in my ANHC.

In night the moment i switch off the headlight the illumination of meters and music system gets brighter and if i switch on the light they get a little dim.

I am not sure its happening post upgrade to 90/100 or it is a standard feature, I didnt noticed it when I was using stock bulbs, but as my car is very new (15days), I might have missed noticing it as well.

Experts please comment on this.
The dimming of the instrument cluster is a passive safety feature. In line with the reduced ambient visibility the pod lights are dimmed so as not to distract you and to enable your eyes to adjust better to the darkness.

Meanwhile could you advise the contact details of the place where you got the Hella Relay kit installed in Faridabad/Delhi.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:43   #3749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The dimming of the instrument cluster is a passive safety feature. In line with the reduced ambient visibility the pod lights are dimmed so as not to distract you and to enable your eyes to adjust better to the darkness.

Meanwhile could you advise the contact details of the place where you got the Hella Relay kit installed in Faridabad/Delhi.
Thanks for that.

I got it fitted at Faridabad, a area known by Tikona park, I bought it from a accessory shot and got it installed by a battery shop.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:12   #3750
BHPian

@ green horn thanks for the quick reply!
I am going to go to poona motors and have a look at it today and will keep you updated about my plans. Also i was planing to go for 4300k but my friend insists that i go for 6000k. I wanted to know which xenons does the 3 series have?

regards,
Karan

Most Viewed