Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 19:13   #4141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, Altis use HID's only for low beam while normal halogens for High. Using HID's on low would be much of a problem, but using it in high is illegal (as per the book). Am not sure of the light performance of the Altis although I have seen them a couple of times. It is fitted with 4300k HID's.

There are mixed reactions when it comes to this particular topic - Are HID's good with or without Projectors?
Just browse a couple of pages back and you can see my ride's light output which are 4300k HID's running on projectors.

HID's are basically meant to be used only on Projectors. Projectors are used to project the light beam onto a particular area (Just like a torch). Unlike normal stock HL, the light wont be scattered.
Projectors will use maximum light emitted from the HID's while stock HL will scatter these since there isnt any source to project the light. So a lot of light is actually wasted.

But if you check this thread you can actually find many bhpians stating that branded HID's used on stock HL will actually do a great job. Philips is really good, but expensive. Also, Philips stopped manufacturing 4300k HIDs (Which is the best - for it's max light output). They now start from 6000k which is pure white. This is less effective than 4300k. Check out "Cochin Meet Thread". There is a comparison between mine (4300k with Projectors) and my friends car (6000k without projectors).

BTW, what's your ride?
Sathyaprakash - As Naveen correctly pointed out, one can definitely install HID's into the standard reflectors. (Ive done it in both our Swift as well as ANHC, but genuine Philips)

The 6000 K is bluish white & the reason given by Philips dealer to me was that since customers were upgrading & paying so much (8,500 per kit) they wanted it to look different compared to the normal output of the 4300K hence they have stopped importing & selling it.

You will get a little bit of scattering but nothing to worry & lose sleep about ! If you have projectors, that's an added bonus to get all the usable light onto the road & focused well. About the legality of it all, the average cop on the road would only be bothered about you driving on high beam in the city.
Almost all of the times ive been pulled over for checking during night times, its been for drinking & driving checks. No cop has ever asked me about the HID's.

(The above is my experience, maybe other Blore guys can update too !)

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 21st August 2010 at 19:16.
Old 21st August 2010, 21:04   #4142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Sathyaprakash - As Naveen correctly pointed out, one can definitely install HID's into the standard reflectors. (Ive done it in both our Swift as well as ANHC, but genuine Philips)

The 6000 K is bluish white & the reason given by Philips dealer to me was that since customers were upgrading & paying so much (8,500 per kit) they wanted it to look different compared to the normal output of the 4300K hence they have stopped importing & selling it.

You will get a little bit of scattering but nothing to worry & lose sleep about ! If you have projectors, that's an added bonus to get all the usable light onto the road & focused well. About the legality of it all, the average cop on the road would only be bothered about you driving on high beam in the city.
Almost all of the times ive been pulled over for checking during night times, its been for drinking & driving checks. No cop has ever asked me about the HID's.

(The above is my experience, maybe other Blore guys can update too !)
Well wrote.
That might be the reason why Philips stopped bringing 4300k HID's into the market.

Yes, as you had mentioned, avoid High beams in city especially in Blore.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:09   #4143
BHPian

High beam issue

I had changed over to the 110W headlamp on my Verna about 2 years back with all the required relay, holders etc.
Of late, I'm experiencing a strange issue when I use the high beam, after a few minutes, the high beam goes out & I have to select the low beam. After some time when I switch back on the high beam it comes back but sometimes, it doesn't & I have to continue with the low beam.

Any idea why this might be happening? Might there be a problem with the relay?
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:39   #4144
Senior - BHPian

Again any pics of Scorpio with HID projectors??
Old 22nd August 2010, 08:59   #4145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoshPV View Post
I had changed over to the 110W headlamp on my Verna about 2 years back with all the required relay, holders etc.
Of late, I'm experiencing a strange issue when I use the high beam, after a few minutes, the high beam goes out & I have to select the low beam. After some time when I switch back on the high beam it comes back but sometimes, it doesn't & I have to continue with the low beam.

Yes, it might be a relay problem. Are you using branded relay? Also, check the wiring. I think the bulb will be fine.
Old 22nd August 2010, 09:01   #4146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Again any pics of Scorpio with HID projectors??

Here you go Nithin. Projector HL for Scorpio
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-200910194842_500.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2010, 09:35   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Isn't Philips advertising & selling HID kits with warranty officially?

The Toyota Altis comes with HIDs as OEM without projectors.
Correct me if I am wrong but the Altis comes with Xenon lamps but not HIDs. HID lamps do not have a filament.
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:47   #4148
Senior - BHPian

How effective is the spread,if i install HID's on the swift's fog lights.I initially thought of going for a 100/90 set up on the headlight assembly,but decided against it as it might damage the reflectors on the long run(still a debatable issue),though i am using this set up in my 98 zen without any effect on the reflectors.

Mumbaibhpians-can anyone suggest me a shop anywhere in mumbai where i can get original philips hids.I was getting one from Parth car jewels in Milan subway for 9500rs with warranty.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd August 2010 at 11:07.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:15   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoshPV View Post

Time to change the relay. Go for Hella or Bosch or Roots relays. They can withstand any sort of load and are of high quality. After installing a Hella relay, my 100/90w head light has become so powerful that I rarely use high-beams on highways.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:22   #4150
BHPian

Thanks, will check the relay & see if that helps..
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:12   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Xenos HID Kits

Hi guys,

Just got home from an accessory shop and they were fitting an HID kit made by Xenos on to a car. Xenos has apparently introduced HID kits in the market. On checking them out, I found them to be really really good. They are way way better than the P4 HID kit that I am using and the accessory guys told me that they are better than the Philips kits too. Apparently alot of Philips kits are failing and Philips are making an issue to replace them under warranty so many cutomers are kept hanging.

The H4 kit is for INR 8250/- including fitting and H8/H11 kit is for INR 7250/- including fitting. They come with a 1 year on site warranty.

I will definitely be considering the Xenos kit as it is a trusted name in the market and very happy with the Xenos Secutiry System that I have been using since 4+ years with absolutely no issues.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:04   #4152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Just got home from an accessory shop and they were fitting an HID kit made by Xenos on to a car. Xenos has apparently introduced HID kits in the market. On checking them out, I found them to be really really good. They are way way better than the P4 HID kit that I am using and the accessory guys told me that they are better than the Philips kits too. Apparently alot of Philips kits are failing and Philips are making an issue to replace them under warranty so many cutomers are kept hanging.

The H4 kit is for INR 8250/- including fitting and H8/H11 kit is for INR 7250/- including fitting. They come with a 1 year on site warranty.

I will definitely be considering the Xenos kit as it is a trusted name in the market and very happy with the Xenos Secutiry System that I have been using since 4+ years with absolutely no issues.
Did you manage to click some pics?
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:06   #4153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but the Altis comes with Xenon lamps but not HIDs. HID lamps do not have a filament.
HID's and Xenons are the same. They are called Xenon because they use xenon gas and as you had mentioned, no filaments in them.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:10   #4154
BHPian

How to replace swift headlights?

I just bought philips extreme power and tried to change the bulbs on my swift vdi. I managed to replace the right one but couldnt reach the left bulb. Does it need to move the batteries or remove the headlight assembly? Please help. Worst case I will have to go to the service center later to do the change.
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:11   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

wow,thats news for me,can you give/pm me the address of the shop where it was being sold?
http://www.xenos.co.in/index.php, their website doesn't mention anything about it though?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd August 2010 at 15:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks