Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 23:47   #4366
Senior - BHPian

planning to replace the stock headlights on my Jazz with some powerful ones. Got 2 options -
1> OSram nightbreaker - was quoted 1600 for 60/55W. Seems high. Anyone got any ideas?
2> Philips extreme power - not able to find it in hyderabad. anyone knows where to get these? Are these as good as the Osram nightbreaker?

Also, anyone knows what's the color of each of these? I have yellow fog lights. So I guess white headlights will look pretty horrible. I would prefer yellow ones only.

Last edited by adimicra : 7th October 2010 at 23:54.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:03   #4367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
planning to replace the stock headlights on my Jazz with some powerful ones. Got 2 options -
1> OSram nightbreaker - was quoted 1600 for 60/55W. Seems high. Anyone got any ideas?
2> Philips extreme power - not able to find it in hyderabad. anyone knows where to get these? Are these as good as the Osram nightbreaker?

Also, anyone knows what's the color of each of these? I have yellow fog lights. So I guess white headlights will look pretty horrible. I would prefer yellow ones only.

I think that's a bit expensive.
Philips is always better. Since you are looking for stock color, you can try 4300k bulbs which are yellow in color with a small tinge of white color. I use 4300k HIDs in my swift with stock fog lights. Although they have different colors, it wont look that bad.

Cheers.!
Old 8th October 2010, 11:07   #4368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Available at Reliance Autozone, Tolichowki.

But please note, I paid 1167 for a pair.
I have later read in team-bhp that these are available for Rs 850 in Bangalore.

I have not seen Osram's but can say honestly that the Philips are a good improvement over my earlier stock lights.
The Extreme powers are Yellow.

Last edited by bblost : 8th October 2010 at 11:14.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:45   #4369
BHPian

hids also come in dark yellow color . we can use them in fog lamps .
Old 8th October 2010, 14:40   #4370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
hids also come in dark yellow color . we can use them in fog lamps .
True. You get 3000k HIDs but very difficult to get in India, cos most of the people here are looking for the bling factor.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:09   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
True. You get 3000k HIDs but very difficult to get in India, cos most of the people here are looking for the bling factor.
cant say on other smaller cities but atleast in Delhi NCR its very easy to get any color of Hids . golden yellow , white , blue , green , purple everythings available
Old 8th October 2010, 21:54   #4372
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I know that this probably has been asked numerous times around here, but I still haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer. From what I have seen, it's a mixed bag with some people recommending HIDs even on stock headlamp assembly, whereas some altogether discard the idea.

I have been toying around with the idea, & though it might not happen soon, do you think it's a good idea to get HIDs installed in the stock headlight assembly. I have an Alto (04 make).

Also, although Philips might be the best bet, but are there any other cheaper & equally reliable good options available?

Laslty, is there any way that I can install fog lamps in my Alto? My car is the old design Alto, in which there was no space for fog lamps on the front bumper. I don't want to add auxiliary lights with the help of those metal supports etc.

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2010, 09:05   #4373

Installed 100/90 H4 bulbs and wiring kit on WagonR

I made up my mind to change the stock bulbs in my WagonR especially after my bad experience at the Krishnagiri toll highway on route to Bangalore.
I have installed 100/90 Phillips essential bulbs and a Head Lamp wiring kit ( with a 12V 30 A Relay) from my home town. The Wiring kit is priced at Rs 470; the printed price was Rs 595.
Its made in Palakkad and has Finolex heat resistant wires.The kit is available from:
WIN Traders,
Shekaripuram
Kalpathi Post,
Palakkad District, Kerala
Pin 678010,
Tel: 0491-2578527
Got it installed from a local Auto electrician and he charged just Rs 30/-
Old 9th October 2010, 10:32   #4374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey guys,

I know that this probably has been asked numerous times around here, but I still haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer. From what I have seen, it's a mixed bag with some people recommending HIDs even on stock headlamp assembly, whereas some altogether discard the idea.

I have been toying around with the idea, & though it might not happen soon, do you think it's a good idea to get HIDs installed in the stock headlight assembly. I have an Alto (04 make).

Also, although Philips might be the best bet, but are there any other cheaper & equally reliable good options available?

Laslty, is there any way that I can install fog lamps in my Alto? My car is the old design Alto, in which there was no space for fog lamps on the front bumper. I don't want to add auxiliary lights with the help of those metal supports etc.

Drive safe.
Thanks for the question. Yes, there's actually a debate on this particular subject. Although, I wouldn't recommend HID's on stock HL's, I have personally seen many installations that are pretty good. If you use proper kit and installation procedure, everything will be great.
I would prefer Philips brand since 90% of the guys who install Philips onto their stock HL are satisfied when compared to other brands.
You can try Numax, Auto Gauge (I use this in my Swift). You can get cheaper brands from 6k.
As for the fog lights since you do not want any bolt on kits, you will have to DIY or approach any good mechanic where they can cut the existing bumper and retro fit the fog.

Anything else, let me know.
All the best.!
Old 9th October 2010, 10:41   #4375
Senior - BHPian

hey naveen,

Thanks for your prompt reply, & as always, your post was very helpful.

I guess then, that as far as brands go, Philips is the best bet albeit at a slightly higher price. Let me check around the local market for how much I can get a kit for.

The reason as to why I am looking at HIDs is because of the ever-growing desire to have brighter lighting. From my requirements, what I need right now is basically some sort of lighting at the front, & at a lower height than the stock headlight assembly. That's why I asked for an alternative to auxiliary lights on metal supports. But I roughly estimated the cost of this modification to come close to that of procuring a HID kit, & hence thinking of going in for HIDs (in a couple of months though, once finances permit).

Any idea that in terms of better visibility, which would be a better option? Getting HIDs on stock HL assembly or modifying the front bumper to accomodate fog/secondary lights?

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:31   #4376
BHPian

I have finally managed to source an eagle eye projector fog lamp kit for the swift bumper. This is a H11 fitment. The existing HID kit on my swift is a H8. Will this fit into the H11 fog lamp assembly. I checked with a friend of mine who said it will as both these are almost the same except for the length of the bulbs.
Can the gurus confirm on this please.
Old 9th October 2010, 13:19   #4377
BHPian

I upgraded Ritz VDI headlights to 90/100 H4 Hella lamps using the wiring and relay kit. Cost including bulbs was 1300.

The installer said that stock 55/60 lamps would not fit anymore. Is that true? And if so is it because the stock lamps are not H4?

He also offered me 100/130 Hella lamps saying they fit in the same socket and uses the same kit as the 90/100. Is it a good idea to buy those next time I need to replace a lamp?

Also, would I be able to fit a 90/100 Phillips or other brand H4 bulb in it if needed? What about Philips Extemevision etc, so long as it is H4?

Would appreciate your advice as I am completely new to this.
Old 9th October 2010, 14:11   #4378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey naveen,

Thanks for your prompt reply, & as always, your post was very helpful.

I guess then, that as far as brands go, Philips is the best bet albeit at a slightly higher price. Let me check around the local market for how much I can get a kit for.

The reason as to why I am looking at HIDs is because of the ever-growing desire to have brighter lighting. From my requirements, what I need right now is basically some sort of lighting at the front, & at a lower height than the stock headlight assembly. That's why I asked for an alternative to auxiliary lights on metal supports. But I roughly estimated the cost of this modification to come close to that of procuring a HID kit, & hence thinking of going in for HIDs (in a couple of months though, once finances permit).

Any idea that in terms of better visibility, which would be a better option? Getting HIDs on stock HL assembly or modifying the front bumper to accomodate fog/secondary lights?

Drive safe.
Anytime.
Since you are looking for visibility rather than looks, I would suggest you to go for 4300k HID's. These provide the best visibility range in HID's. The problem is that, Philips dont manufacture 4300k anymore. They now start with 6000k. There will be only a small difference between 4300k and 6000k HID's where 6000k ones are more white in color. If you are really confused, you can check out other brands too. Since I use Auto Gauge 4300k in my Swift with projectors, I find it really useful. Maybe because I use a Projector setup. HID's in projector setup will provide the maximum visibility whereas when HID's are used in stock, some of the useful light will be scattered/wasted. But a proper brand and installation should cut down this wastage.

Using fogs and HID's in HL's will definitely improve the visibility. But do remember that fogs will provide better visibility for a short range (wide light). Using Hella Aux lights will always provide better vision, but since you are trying to avoid extra fitment, I would suggest you to stick with HID's.

Try to source 4300k HID's. If unsuccessful, check out Philips 6000k. I would recommend Philips anytime.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.!
Old 9th October 2010, 14:14   #4379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I upgraded Ritz VDI headlights to 90/100 H4 Hella lamps using the wiring and relay kit. Cost including bulbs was 1300.

The installer said that stock 55/60 lamps would not fit anymore. Is that true? And if so is it because the stock lamps are not H4?

He also offered me 100/130 Hella lamps saying they fit in the same socket and uses the same kit as the 90/100. Is it a good idea to buy those next time I need to replace a lamp?

Also, would I be able to fit a 90/100 Phillips or other brand H4 bulb in it if needed? What about Philips Extemevision etc, so long as it is H4?

If am correct, Ritz got H4 bulbs in stock and they should fit back anytime. This is because, I had changed mine earlier from stock bulbs to 90/100w Osram cool blue bulbs. The bulbs are the same and I had changed them back to stock bulbs before I went in for the projectors.
Old 9th October 2010, 15:23   #4380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

Your installer taking a ride on you, stay away from him. As long as you are using the stock head lamp assy, any H4 bulb will be a direct fit only difference is when you choose the higher rated bulb a relay is installed for the safety. Be its 100/55/35 its a direct fit at any time.

Its a common practice that when ever there is a bulb upgrade they will keep the OE bulb with them saying that you dont need it any more. Remember when you buy the car an extra pair of bulb will be given for the emergency bulb blown cases. So if you have upgraded the bulb to a higher rated ones too there is no guarantee that this bulb wont go off. Its better to have the same rated bulb as a reserve if not keep the OE as a reserve. OE components can last longer than the same brand that is sourced from a local vendor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks