Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 16:35   #4456

Altis light upgrade

Need to upgrade the highbeam in Corolla Altis for better lighting. Also need to upgrade the fog lamps. Any suggestions on the bulb (eg H7)? What modifications, if any, are needed? Please help.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:07   #4457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew View Post
Need to upgrade the highbeam in Corolla Altis for better lighting. Also need to upgrade the fog lamps. Any suggestions on the bulb (eg H7)? What modifications, if any, are needed? Please help.
Since you are going to upgrade your highbeams, you can stick with 55w bulbs. Philips will be the obvious choice here.

Some brands may not have fog lamp bulb configs. Kindly check with the Philips dealer. For these, modifications are not needed. If you plan to install higher rated bulbs (90/100w) then you will need to install relays, ceramic holders and branded wiring kits. Higher rated bulbs produce a lot of heat, but since you are planning to upgrade high beams and which are seldom used, you can try this option too.

Cheers.!
Old 29th October 2010, 17:03   #4458
Senior - BHPian

I had been to bangkok and bought a pair of headlamps for my Civic. The low beam is a projector and the high beam is reflector. Yet to install them. Currently high beam is H1 halogen and low beam is H7 (halogen in projector housing). Now before installing, I wanted advice on which HID unit to get for my low beams (on projector). I plan to retain high beams as halogens but change over to some good branded bulb.

So basically, I want advice on the HID for low beam - H7. Any recommended brand, best color temperature, good dealers in Bangalore where I can get it done and indicative price.

All help highly appreciated.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:13   #4459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I had been to bangkok and bought a pair of headlamps for my Civic. The low beam is a projector and the high beam is reflector. Yet to install them. Currently high beam is H1 halogen and low beam is H7 (halogen in projector housing). Now before installing, I wanted advice on which HID unit to get for my low beams (on projector). I plan to retain high beams as halogens but change over to some good branded bulb.

So basically, I want advice on the HID for low beam - H7. Any recommended brand, best color temperature, good dealers in Bangalore where I can get it done and indicative price.

All help highly appreciated.
Congrats on your new purchase.
Philips will always be the recommended brand.
4300k will be the best color temp to go for. But since Philips stopped manufacturing 4300k, it will be hard to find one. They have old stock of 4300k HIDs but very rare to find them. Auto Gauge is another brand you can check out. It's cheaper than Philips but doesnt compromise on quality. Am currently using Auto Gauge 4300k HID's on my swift with runs on projectors. It's been almost 1 year now and am completely satisfied with it's performance.
Auto Gauge will come around 6k-7k while Philips will be a bit higher, say around 8k-10k.
You can check out "Evo" near Ulsoor or "Sprocket" next to China Pearl in Koramangala.

Cheers.!
Old 29th October 2010, 17:26   #4460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Congrats on your new purchase.
Philips will always be the recommended brand.
4300k will be the best color temp to go for. But since Philips stopped manufacturing 4300k, it will be hard to find one. They have old stock of 4300k HIDs but very rare to find them. Auto Gauge is another brand you can check out. It's cheaper than Philips but doesnt compromise on quality. Am currently using Auto Gauge 4300k HID's on my swift with runs on projectors. It's been almost 1 year now and am completely satisfied with it's performance.
Auto Gauge will come around 6k-7k while Philips will be a bit higher, say around 8k-10k.
You can check out "Evo" near Ulsoor or "Sprocket" next to China Pearl in Koramangala.

Cheers.!
Thanks for the quick response. Another thing bugging me is the possibility of being sold a fake. I guess I will try Evo since I know Satya.
Lot of posts on P8 HIDs, are they any good?
Even I'm keen on 4300K, but seems to be rare.
Old 29th October 2010, 18:39   #4461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
But since Philips stopped manufacturing 4300k, it will be hard to find one.
Are you sure about this?
I'm wondering why would Philips stop production of 4300K HID's when almost every OEM comes with 4300K lamp since it offers the best illumination.

Non-Availability/Less availability of 4300K HID's in India is a totally different story since most of the customers go for the bling-factor (read 6000K and up which are pretty useless in illuminating the road)

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Another thing bugging me is the possibility of being sold a fake. I guess I will try Evo since I know Satya.
When you are at EVO, could you please check availability and pricing for 4300K H1 HID's as well?
Old 30th October 2010, 09:55   #4462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anytime. I havent seen P8 HIDs in action and in any shops in Cochin. Seen a lot of ads in Auto magazines. Moreover, fellow bhpians havent mentioned about this brand.
I think 4300k will be easy to find although 6000k is popular among the public since it gives the 'bling' factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Are you sure about this?
I'm wondering why would Philips stop production of 4300K HID's when almost every OEM comes with 4300K lamp since it offers the best illumination.

Non-Availability/Less availability of 4300K HID's in India is a totally different story since most of the customers go for the bling-factor (read 6000K and up which are pretty useless in illuminating the road)

When you are at EVO, could you please check availability and pricing for 4300K H1 HID's as well?
When i asked the shops here in Cochin about Philips 4300k HIDs, they keep saying that they get only 6000k HIDs and have no idea why 4300k HIDs are not available. Then, from lot of fellow bhpians I came to know that they stopped manufacturing 4300k HIDs since 90% of the customers opted for 6000k HIDs. The reason being that since they are spending a lot n HIDs they wanted it to be noted. Since 4300k is almost similar to stock color temp, others will not notice this. So naturally, this question came in everyone's mind - "Why should I spend so much to buy something that is almost similar to the stock bulbs"? SO people started going in for 6000k HIDs. Thereby, the demand for 4300k dropped drastically. This might have urged Philips to stop manufacturing 4300k HIDs. But these are still available in the market now where many are fake.

To check whether it's genuine, there will be a barcode in the pack. You can check whether it's genuine online.

Check few pages back, fellow bhpian SAJJAT had posted the pic and the details.
Cheers.!
Old 30th October 2010, 14:56   #4463

Palio Headlight Query

I'm planning to upgrade my Low beam (H7). Want a replacement bulb with good throw and illumination.

After lots reading, decided upon Philips XtremePower.
Checked with AK Tranders and H7 is not available in India yet.

Any other thoughts or advice

@naveen Philips HID Conversion Kit (H1) in 4300K is available for Rs 8000. Was told by AK traders (Official Philips distributor).
Old 30th October 2010, 15:44   #4464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarcane View Post
Philips HID Conversion Kit (H1) in 4300K is available for Rs 8000. Was told by AK traders (Official Philips distributor).
Thank you for the update. I was looking for an H1 4300K kit for projectors in my Tucson.
Old 30th October 2010, 16:08   #4465
Distinguished - BHPian

@manarcane:
Hey, thanks for the update. Good news for many of us.
Old 30th October 2010, 23:41   #4466

Cruze headlamp units

Is there anyway of finding out if the headlamp units on the Cruze are designed for LHD cars. The beam illuminates the right hand side of the road extensively but very little coverage on the left half and shoulder. Very difficult when driving on undidvided highways . If this is so, should ARAI not have picked this up during homologation ? I have complained to GM , and I hope they rectify the problem. Apparently there is not enough adjustment available to do it yourself.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:49   #4467

Hey,

Am planning to install fog lamps on my 2007 model Santro. Are there any good quality ones, you guys recommend? I am adding these to increase the range of my existing stock headlights which I find inadequate, on low beam mode.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:04   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDART View Post
Hey,

Am planning to install fog lamps on my 2007 model Santro. Are there any good quality ones, you guys recommend? I am adding these to increase the range of my existing stock headlights which I find inadequate, on low beam mode.
The standard fog lights available in market generally do not really 'increase the range' much. So keep the expectations not too high. You might be disappointed.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:30   #4469

Thanks Shyam

If I go back in the forum I see a lot of talk about different head/fog lamps available, power requirements etc... How do i find out the suitable power range for my car, the power consumed by my stock lamps?
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:34   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Fog lamps cannot increase range of headlights, they light up are immediately infront of car at a much low level to see through in fog. you will need additional lights for that but thats not recommended for on road driving as it will be disturbing opposite side drivers.

An additional pair of 50w each but having good focusing reflector will help than more powerful bulbs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks