Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 11:50   #4561
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am reposting this query again.

I am currently using the "Philips H4 Whitelight Essential Vision 100/90w".

The high beam filament gets fused after a highway drive or every 2-3 months once. I use the high beam only when its not visible on low beams. I use the the Roots wiring kit.

Is something wrong with the electrical? I got it checked @ MASS and they found no faults. Took it to carnation and they said grounding may not be working proper, and surprise they found it to be working perfect. Now my query to guru's out here is why are the bulbs fusing out? Is there anything better than the ones I am currently using other than the HID's.

My requirements are,

1. Need clear vision during Rains - Its a must, will not compromise on this.
2. I felt the bulbs I was using were not that effective when the sodium street lights were on. Is it the case with all, or just this.

Please suggest!
Old 1st December 2010, 12:07   #4562
BHPian

These fancy white light bulbs don't last as much as normal Halogens. I remember seeing it charted on Philips website itself. But 2-3 months is too less. Do you flash your high beams too often?

My experience with Philips Extreme Vision bulbs during rains is VERY BAD. Pathetic visibility during rains to say the least. They perform good if there is no rain and light up the road signs far better than any bulb I've used so far

I've recently switched to OSRAM Night Breakers and the experience has been good so far. Haven't tried out in heavy rains though to make a definitive suggestion. But I'm sure yellowish light lamps (normal halogen) would perform better during bad weather.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 1st December 2010 at 12:09.
Old 1st December 2010, 18:37   #4563
Senior - BHPian

I have used Philips XP bulbs & they are whiter than the stock halogen lamps. And I think this is the only reason they appear brighter to us. Though, their throw is better.
However, the sore point is their poor visibility during rains. I have had a hard time during rains with these bulbs. The stock halogens were much better in that kind of weather.

If visibility is your concern, I would suggest you stick with yellow light, & I feel that the best bet is still the normal halogens or the 4300K HIDs.

Drive safe.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:47   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Do we get HID replacement bulbs in market or do they come in kit only. one of my lamp seems to have blown. its bosch h4 with high beam halogen bulb
Old 1st December 2010, 21:55   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Do we get HID replacement bulbs in market or do they come in kit only. one of my lamp seems to have blown. its bosch h4 with high beam halogen bulb
Dont know about Bosch, but Philips HID burners are available separately. IIRC I paid ~Rs.4000 for a pair of Philips H1 HID Burners from AK Traders (Philips Distributor).
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:10   #4566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some brands do offer replacement HID's. If it's not available here, check this site

Direct replacements for OEM HID bulbs. D1, D2 and D4 standard and reflector available.

I have personally purchased bulbs from here. Excellent packing, delivery time as mentioned. Very good service.
Check it out.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:19   #4567
BHPian

Re-posting again. Pls suggest

I was using Philips ralley 100/90w with relay kit in my Safari, but problem is that you can not close headlight cover in the back, so dust was accumulated in headlight. Now yesterday I got cleaned headlight and removed Phlips ralley and put stock bulbs. I an looking for Philips xtreme power 60/55 W(80% more light) or any H4 with white light(Diamond vision). As shopkeeper shouwed me philps blue vision with 100/90w. He was saying i can use them in Safari without relay and he is doing it from long time without any problems.

Pls suggest should I go for Blue vision 100/90w or 60/55 w xtreme power or 60/55W Diamond vision
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:48   #4568
Senior - BHPian

If you can close the cover with stock h4 then you close the cover with 90/100 also.
If the wires of kit are coming in between then get a hole made and pass through the cables and seal the outside with RTV compound. some kits have rubber groumet for this.

Show it to any good electrical mechanic to reroute.

Blue vision is useless as far as illuminating the road is concerned. if its 90/100 you need a relay whatever the colour be. Why do you want to strain the stock wiring and risk burning components due over current

Rally 90/100 is one of the best halogen available
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:21   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
...I was using Philips ralley 100/90w with relay kit in my Safari, but problem is that you can not close headlight cover in the back, so dust was accumulated in headlight. Now yesterday I got cleaned headlight and removed Phlips ralley and put stock bulbs. I an looking for Philips xtreme power 60/55 W(80% more light) or any H4 with white light(Diamond vision). As shopkeeper shouwed me philps blue vision with 100/90w. He was saying i can use them in Safari without relay and he is doing it from long time without any problems.

Pls suggest should I go for Blue vision 100/90w or 60/55 w xtreme power or 60/55W Diamond vision
Quote:
If you can close the cover with stock h4 then you close the cover with 90/100 also.
If the wires of kit are coming in between then get a hole made and pass through the cables and seal the outside with RTV compound. some kits have rubber groumet for this.

Show it to any good electrical mechanic to reroute.

Blue vision is useless as far as illuminating the road is concerned. if its 90/100 you need a relay whatever the colour be. Why do you want to strain the stock wiring and risk burning components due over current

Rally 90/100 is one of the best halogen available
Gigy: The issue does seems to be with regard to wiring. What you suggested, making hote and MSeal type compound, is what most people do.

And yes, agree with your remark that (contrary to few peoples experience) blue vision does not provide much improvement, as per my experience.

@mandyrana: If you want to keep your 100/90, there is a way to route the wiring thru the parking lights rubber seal; will involve some Yoga postures and time. This way you will be able to use the cover as intended and with no harm of moisture & water entering the headlight casing.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:52   #4570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Dont know about Bosch, but Philips HID burners are available separately. IIRC I paid ~Rs.4000 for a pair of Philips H1 HID Burners from AK Traders (Philips Distributor).
These are direct fit to oem ballast i think. i am thinking about whole kits which were being sold in 4-6k in the classified section last month.
In some time i have to replace the headlights as well. can i install the oem projector headlights instead of the h4 ones in octavia.
I can manage the wiring but will the ECU or car interface create a problem, particularly the xenon range adjustment through vagcom?
will it be a plug and play since cars were being sold with both type of headlight options by skoda
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h3-h1-d1s-philips-bulbs-included.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-o1hldlk96.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2010, 23:00   #4571
BHPian

I know nothing about Skoda electricals but in Captiva/Cruze and many BMW models, you need special CanBus controlled HID ballasts. Else the system will report HL failure. I've heard about bypass modules but have no experience in using them.
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:11   #4572
Senior - BHPian

If i get the complete set with cab bus controlled ballast, will it interface with my existing ecu/car which is a 2004 model petrol. Does anybody have an idea of the pricing.
somebody bought it for 18k without any masala in it.
I am already having h3 8k hid in the fogs.other option is to get the older type and a projector or put in a 90/100 and discard the bosch h4.

which of the three gives best highway lighting?
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:48   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Any ideas about the current cost for h3 HIDs that can be used as fogs in zen? I am mainly interested in illuminating the road to a height of about 2feet from the ground so as to be able to see those potholes.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:25   #4574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Any ideas about the current cost for h3 HIDs that can be used as fogs in zen? I am mainly interested in illuminating the road to a height of about 2feet from the ground so as to be able to see those potholes.
hids will cost around 3800 . or you can also go for hella micro de halogen fog projectors which cost around 4500 . even being halogen they are very good .
Old 4th December 2010, 15:46   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Sankar > can you kindly compare Narva white 100/90 with Osram white 100/90 as i am currently using the Narva Original German made bulbs in my ANHC but i find its light brightness insufficient after using it for few months. Now can i go for the Osram white bulbs ? or Philips Blue or Diamond 100/90 white bulbs?
I don't have these bulbs with me. What i have is Philips Rally 90/100 and 100/130 and a Philips 4300k H4 HID.

Narva is whiter compared to Philips Rally, Osram must be again whiter compared to the Rally. If you need good vision in adverse weather you need a little bit of yellowishness in the light, like a Philips Rally bulb, or you should have lots of lumens like an HID provides.

Quote:
I suppose you are using a H4 HID conversion kit? You do get replacement bulbs, but afaik Bosch doesn't make a HID kit, Bosch doesn't make HID burners either as of now.

There are online vendors providing replacement HID bulbs, you have to figure out the kind of connectors used to connect the bulb to the ballast. On most of the conversion kits connector will be AMP, Philips and some Philips Patent Licence kits and few others use KET. Identify the connector and order it.

Most of the bulbs are of chinese origin, except Philips where the bulb is german made but the rest of the kit is made by a Philips authorised manufacturer in china under Philips supervision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Does he have H4 HID burners in 4300k?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks