Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 15:42   #4741
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I had a query. Has anyone ever tried LED H4 Bulbs yet??
LED H4 is just a fancy light which can be used as DRL (Day Time Running Lights). It cant be used as Headlights as the intensity is too low to light up the surroundings.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20090128090838120500.jpg

For further info: refer the link
H4 LED bulbs for car use 18 pcs 5050 SMD, OEM order [H4-18SMD-5050-OEM] - $10.20 : LED Light Bulbs, Shopping

The end of the item description states that it will be less brighter than the incandescent bulbs.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:35   #4742

Thanks Alot. Perfect for photography then. No lens Flare from these I guess!!
Old 14th February 2011, 23:30   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
LED H4 is just a fancy light which can be used as DRL (Day Time Running Lights). It cant be used as Headlights as the intensity is too low to light up the surroundings.

Attachment 501809

For further info: refer the link
H4 LED bulbs for car use 18 pcs 5050 SMD, OEM order [H4-18SMD-5050-OEM] - $10.20 : LED Light Bulbs, Shopping

The end of the item description states that it will be less brighter than the incandescent bulbs.
This H4 LED is a joke. Please note that your reflectors for the H4 bulb are made with a near point source of light being at the design stage. Even the slight spread of the Plasma source in the HID bulbs plays havoc with lighting when retrofitting HID bulbs in normal reflector assembly's. Thats why its nearly impossible to get a good beam spread in a HID retrofitted reflector assembly without subjecting oncoming traffic to glare.
Old 15th February 2011, 04:10   #4744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post

Query-2: I'm sure these 100/130 are generating lot of heat (I verified few times by touching the glass, it was hot!). Will it have any ill impact on the reflector element or the glass ? Pl assist to ease my tension !

thanks,
Pranav

yes, for sure over a period of time which depends on the quality of the reflector , first they fade to yellow, loose thier sheen and then they start to blacken out , on my car the headlights are a visibile fade yellow by two years of use with extensive night time driving.
Old 16th February 2011, 00:00   #4745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
yes, for sure over a period of time which depends on the quality of the reflector , first they fade to yellow, loose thier sheen and then they start to blacken out , on my car the headlights are a visibile fade yellow by two years of use with extensive night time driving.
thanks for the response. my daily night drive is about 1+ hours while returning home, mostly having traffic. lets hope it lasts long. btw, not sure if only the glass / reflector would be available (without the entire HL assembly) ?!
Old 20th February 2011, 20:27   #4746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, you can upgrade it. If you are planning for higher wattage bulbs make sure you use ONLY BRANDED kits. This includes bulbs, wires, ceramic holders and relays.
There are no aftermarket projector kits availble for Linea yet. You can retro fit projectors onto the existing headlights but that will be expensive and you need to have a very skilled mechanic for that.

Else, you can check out HID's but these are expensive and I generally dont recommend HIDs on stock headlights. HID's are meant to be used with projectors.

CHeers
Naveen
Hi Naveen,
Yesterday I had a chance to visit Jiwaji, Chennai with my friend to change the stock bulbs. We replaced them with 100/90 and the result is as expected. When I asked Jiwaji to replace my Linea's stock bulbs, he clearly said there is no H1/H7 100/90 bulbs in the market . Is he right?

Cheers
Kumar
Old 20th February 2011, 21:05   #4747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
Hi Naveen,
Yesterday I had a chance to visit Jiwaji, Chennai with my friend to change the stock bulbs. We replaced them with 100/90 and the result is as expected. When I asked Jiwaji to replace my Linea's stock bulbs, he clearly said there is no H1/H7 100/90 bulbs in the market . Is he right?

Cheers
Kumar
I believe he is. Based on what I know, max you get in H7 is 80W. This is in Philips and Bosch bulbs. Also H1/H7 bulbs have only one filament, unlike H4 which has 2 and hence called 100/90 in which one is high beam and other is low.
Old 20th February 2011, 21:26   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I believe he is. Based on what I know, max you get in H7 is 80W. This is in Philips and Bosch bulbs. Also H1/H7 bulbs have only one filament, unlike H4 which has 2 and hence called 100/90 in which one is high beam and other is low.
The H1 is available at 100 watts so in effect in your Linea you can have 100/80 though with two different bulbs since as pointed out H1 and H7 have single filaments in them unlike H4 which has 2 filaments. For the Linea though I suggest you use a relay for the 100watts bulbs and make do without relay for the 80 watts.

Fiats are not very well known for their electrical wiring after TATA took over some stake in the company even if its just sales.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:16   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The H1 is available at 100 watts so in effect in your Linea you can have 100/80 though with two different bulbs since as pointed out H1 and H7 have single filaments in them unlike H4 which has 2 filaments. For the Linea though I suggest you use a relay for the 100watts bulbs and make do without relay for the 80 watts.

Fiats are not very well known for their electrical wiring after TATA took over some stake in the company even if its just sales.
Thanks Doc, this is good to know. I was aware H1 and H7 are of same size so can be used interchangeably. I guess the only diff is black tip. I was under the impression that H1 is mainly used as a fog bulb, so should be available in less wattage.

OT - thanks for your help on the diesel engine oil suggestions. My car, after the oil change is much better than earlier. Not as though as it was when new.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:47   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Thanks Doc, this is good to know. I was aware H1 and H7 are of same size so can be used interchangeably. I guess the only diff is black tip. I was under the impression that H1 is mainly used as a fog bulb, so should be available in less wattage.

OT - thanks for your help on the diesel engine oil suggestions. My car, after the oil change is much better than earlier. Not as though as it was when new.
Both are Head light bulbs, both are used for headlight, foglight and driving light applications. H1's and H7's have a different filiment lengths, so will create different light patterns in different HL housings. Since they are entirely different its not interchangable, and HL housings are designed according to the mounting bases and the filiment length and orientation which plays a major role in beam spreads. H1 is considered to be high beam universally and most of the projectors as well.

Take a look on these

H1 Bulb:
Name:  bulb_h1.gif
Views: 4126
Size:  11.8 KB

H7 Bulb:
Name:  bulb_h7.gif
Views: 11707
Size:  14.7 KB

Last edited by sajjt : 21st February 2011 at 10:49.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:56   #4751
KMT
BHPian

Hi - Does anyone here use KC Daylighters/Hilites? -Any observations on them?
I am tossing up between driving lights and long range pencil beams (130W).

Any feedback on the same would be appreciated.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:26   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post

Personally, I have tried the long range pencil beams but found them inadequate for road use, especially in todays roads. [my grandfathers Rover 14 had it and I was gifted the same for a fit on my GYPSY, decided against it after the use i put the gypsy to, did not want to break the glass of the original LUCAS unit]

I'd go for driving lights instead of pencil beams!
Old 21st February 2011, 12:46   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Hi - Does anyone here use KC Daylighters/Hilites? -Any observations on them?

How much do these KC's cost and are they available in India easily?
Old 21st February 2011, 15:53   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
How much do these KC's cost and are they available in India easily?
It cost around 10grands for a pair incl taxes.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-kc_hilites_634_daylighter_6_in_black_130w_driving_beam_off_road_light_system_pair.jpg

You can order it through 20north.com

KC HiLiTES 233 Daylighter 6-Inch 100w Long Range Off Road Light System (Pair, Black) < Automotive Parts < Car Electronics < Electronics : Misc. - Shop in the US from India @ 20North
Old 21st February 2011, 16:08   #4755
BHPian

Thanks sajjt. I was looking for their HID sealed beams and I guess it is better to pick then during some trip abroad to save on customs duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks