Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 23:22   #5011
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

My Ritz had Philips 60/55W stock bulbs which i found to be inadequate.My Santro has the same but somehow has much better lights than Ritz .So i upgraded to Hella H4 100/90W with a Hella relay.It cost me Rs 1600/- for all including fitting.Now the vision is much much better than stock headlights. .Its not white or blue light but normal headlight bulb.
Old 7th May 2011, 23:45   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Has anyone been able to buy Osram Nightbreaker Plus in Mumbai? I need the contact details as all mails to their contact email ids are just not answered by them
Hey, my experience regarding this is totally different! I placed a query on Osram site yesterday & to my surprise, had a call from Mr.Vijay Nair today & a mail also! He told me that the Osram NB+ bulbs would be made available by next week in Kolhapur from where I can get those (& of course, at some discount rates!)
Now, hoping you are still in search of the details, here is the info (just copied from his mail)-

As required by you, kindly find the distributor for western Maharashtra
M/S Prakash and co, ph 0231-2668447 (Mr. Prabhu, Kolhapur) and in Mumbai M/s Pradish Automobiles, Ph 022-30025037 (Mr. Vaibhav)

Vijay Nair, SP AM AFTM, Osram India Pvt Ltd, Mumbai.
Tel: 91 22 67252150, Fax: 91 22 67254565, Cell: 91 9987564934.

I think, this would be going help many of our friends here!
Old 8th May 2011, 01:21   #5013

[b]Note from Support: Post deleted. Please avoid using excessive dots in your posts. Use proper punctuation as per rules. Thanks![/]
Old 9th May 2011, 05:47   #5014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
From the pictures it appears that it WOULD blind on coming traffic, else the focus is incorrect. I suggest that you ensure that you are NOT blinding oncoming traffic, as that may be detremental to your own safety as well as others.

Cheers

Duh! Sorry about the noobie error. What I was saying earlier was that it looks like that coz probably I took the pics in low light using the VGA camera on my iphone. But the guy who fixed the lights had already adjusted the focus of the head lamps post fitment.

And moreover, the Osram night breaker or any halogen burning at 100/90 can do the part of blinding oncoming traffic quite well.I am uploading couple of pics of the light throw from the car in low and high beam. From the looks of it, I dont see any issues with the focus.

Planning to change the indicator bulbs and break light bulbs in the car to SM LEDs next. Has anyone tried it on their cars yet? What is the opinion about it guys? I heard that they may have issues flashing. Also looking at CREE LEDs for reverse light. They come with in built projector in white. Suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1126.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1127.jpg  

Old 9th May 2011, 16:21   #5015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My fiesta's headlights are really dusty on the reflector part of it.
One mechanic spotted it in a car park in khan market ans said he could clean them up(after opening them) and would cost about 2500 bucks.
now, this sounded a bit steep to me.

howver, if this is usual, then i can go ahead?
also, the throw on my low beam is quite low.
The focussed beam i can spot is just about 10-15 metres ahead.
However, visibility is much much beyond.
just the point where it feels the majority of the light is ending is quite near.

Has anyone retro fitted Projectors in the fiesta?

or some other solution?

Hey, I got my Safari's one headlight cleaned for 200 Rs in Faridabad, Tikona market by some Khan. He opened it by heating gun and then cleaned using surf and some liquid, then fitted and put fevicol and fitted it again by heating gun. It was as clear as new.
mandyrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 17:14   #5016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Hey, I got my Safari's one headlight cleaned for 200 Rs in Faridabad, Tikona market by some Khan. He opened it by heating gun and then cleaned using surf and some liquid, then fitted and put fevicol and fitted it again by heating gun. It was as clear as new.
i'cve already thanked you for the post, as getting it apart is the main problem.
(I had read of people popping it in heat based ovens, and using that to loosen the sealant, but rudimentary measurements of the headlight and the oven ruled that out.)

Howver, i wanted to ask, he's used fevicol to fit it together?
is that advisable for longevity?
I am looking up directions for tikona market as we speak, though.
do you have any other contact info for the guy?
Old 9th May 2011, 18:10   #5017
Distinguished - BHPian

Fevicol? A big NO. I had cleaned my projectors headlights of my Swift twice. To fix it I would recommend a silicon gel. Works well.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 19:04   #5018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There's a place called retro rides in Delhi who source projectors for OHC. If am correct it will come around 25k. The kit includes

Projectors
HID kit
Wiring Kit
Courier charges to Mumbai
Wow, those OHC Type 2 projectors look neat. I shall keep this in mind for the future when i have enough funds for. Thanks Naveen.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:24   #5019
BHPian

can anyone recommend a pencil beam type unit for high beam thats cheap and as small in size as possible

Quote:
Fevicol? A big NO. I had cleaned my projectors headlights of my Swift twice. To fix it I would recommend a silicon gel. Works well.
does silicon gel soften when heated up ? best is to use butyl rubber sealent thats used by company to seal the headlight .

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 9th May 2011 at 22:25.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:24   #5020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
does silicon gel soften when heated up ? best is to use butyl rubber sealent thats used by company to seal the headlight .
No issues till now. I have applied the silicon gel on the top of the joint. Does the job really well. It's a complete DIY job. The second time I did it myself. Got a silicon gel from the shop and applied it. Since I use projectors the heat generated will be less when compared to OEM lights. Maybe that's the reason why it's doing the job well.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:40   #5021
BHPian

Quote:
No issues till now. I have applied the silicon gel on the top of the joint. Does the job really well. It's a complete DIY job. The second time I did it myself. Got a silicon gel from the shop and applied it. Since I use projectors the heat generated will be less when compared to OEM lights. Maybe that's the reason why it's doing the job well.
In Cochin, which shop do you get this silicon gel? or in TVM?
Old 10th May 2011, 10:38   #5022
BHPian

Regd Silicone gel

Any hardware shop will have it. It is available in black, white and almost transparent forms. Should cost around Rs 120 - 150. A dispenser or a gun for applying the gel would be of good use. You should get one starting from Rs 80. Without a gun you would have to take help from a friend or a family member to push the gel out from the tube.

I had used the same while I had the fix the head lamp in my dad's Ford Ikon. After a small accident because of a stupid cyclist the headlamp reflector broke from inside from its mounting location. Surprisingly there was no visible crack or damage on the outer side of the head lamp assembly. Funny isnt it?

I am running the headlamps with 100/90 halogen bulbs. No effect on the gel due to heat generated by the bulbs. The excess gel that had got applied accidentally during your experiment can be peeled off after the gel dries completelty. Trying to remove it while the gel is still wet would only result in spreading it all over.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:46   #5023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post
You can ask M-Seal N-30 RTV sealant tube which is available from 25g costing around 40/ and this will be enough for a headlamp.

The m-seal n30 is basically considered as gasket makers and used to form gaskets of desired shape, seal windshields in automobiles and seal edges of fish tanks. It cures to form a flexible, soft, rubbery bead, does not drip on vertical applications and is a translucent colour. The product leaves surface clear and without any marks and withstand temperature from minus 60° centigrade to plus 204° centigrade.

Here's the pic of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-93392.jpg  

sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 12:01   #5024
BHPian

Quote:
can anyone recommend a pencil beam type unit for high beam thats cheap and as small in size as possible
Best pencil beam you can get from Hella Comet series which starts from 5K onwards. All that depends on your ride and budget.

Hella Comet 200

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1313_largenew.jpg

Comet 200 Beam Spread Pattern

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1313_isoluxnew.jpg

Hella Comet 300

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-large_1314.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1314_isoluxnew.jpg

Hella Comet 450

Name:  large_1309.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  46.7 KB

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1310_isoluxnew.jpg

Hella Comet 550

Name:  H Comet 550.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  46.7 KB

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h-comet-550-beam-spread.jpg

Quote:

Pls see my earlier post for the heat resistant specs of silicone sealant. Butyl rubber sealants are used on OE headlamps. But RTV sealant is easy to pry out once you want to clean it and its durable too. I find this more practical in cleaning process as it doesn't need any heat gun too. The only downside is, you can not re use it like a butyl rubber based sealants which will soften when its heated and will go back to its original state once its cooled.

Last edited by sajjt : 10th May 2011 at 12:08.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:48   #5025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post
I got the Silicon gel from Malaysia. In Cochin there's Emperor. These guys also used silicon gel when I went to clean the first time.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks