Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 17:03   #5161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Its is almost next to impossible to drive around at night with stock headlamps on kerala roads except cities. Even coming back from work at night was worse.
Basically I wanted to go for 90/100 with relay, But somehow my installer convinced me that the reflector can take 130.The relay holder is of ceramic type and the total setup cost me around 2k including bulbs (philips Rally 200 each).
The kind of ceramic relays out here cant withstand the constant heat from these higher rated bulbs especially 100/130w. You are right about the light conditions on our roads. It's pathetic. You need something like this in Kerala

Old 13th June 2011, 17:15   #5162
Senior - BHPian

^^^: If i am in the opposite direction and this guy uses the HIGH beam, I will stop the car and run!!!

Or maybe I need a BIGGER vehicle..Guys seriously, wont the high beam blind the vehicles coming the opposite direction?
Old 13th June 2011, 17:22   #5163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^: If i am in the opposite direction and this guy uses the HIGH beam, I will stop the car and run!!!

Or maybe I need a BIGGER vehicle..Guys seriously, wont the high beam blind the vehicles coming the opposite direction?
Geez!!
This will blind the occupants, their offspring!
plus it will melt the car caught in the path, and will melt the car which is to be made from the scrap of the first car!!

but man-o-man is it super -awesome to look at.
where is this from, some outback/jungle reserve/private road?
Guaranteed that this will not be allowed anywhere on the streets anywhere.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:18   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Sir, its a very very useful link which can give good insights and awareness in auto lighting. But it seems you haven't gone through it fully before suggesting him the HID on stock reflectors. There's a separate writeup on HID Conversion Kits and why its illegal on standard reflectors and should not be reccomended. Kindly please read that before advising.

Here's it for your convenience:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Mistake accepted. I also checked on Philips website and this is what it says.
"
Xenon HID

State-of-the-Art Lighting Technology

Better reflection of road signs and markings
= safer driving

Even in bad weather, Xenon lights help you see what’s ahead, sooner and better. They improve your view of road signs, other vehicles, intersections, and objects on the road.

Daylight white light = relaxed driving

Compared to the yellowish light from conventional lights, Xenon’s bright white light is much closer to natural daylight. This helps reduce the eye fatigue normally experienced when driving long distances at night.

NOTE : Xenon HID bulbs can only be used in vehicles that have HID lighting systems. They cannot be used as an upgrade in conventional headlights.

The Xenon HID bulb requires an electronic ballast and has an electronic starter for quick ignition.

Source - Xenon HID

The best way to get extra lighting remains Aux lights which you can install.

Last edited by torquecurve : 13th June 2011 at 20:19.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:46   #5165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Geez!!
plus it will melt the car caught in the path, and will melt the car which is to be made from the scrap of the first car!!

but man-o-man is it super -awesome to look at.
where is this from, some outback/jungle reserve/private road?
Guaranteed that this will not be allowed anywhere on the streets anywhere.

This is somewhere in US i guess. He's got few more videos of his ride on youtube. But I should say, brilliant visibility. Wish we could use this against other high beam users.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:46   #5166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

Geez!!
Ha! Ha! Ha! But seriously if the bling bling is going to mess up some one else's driving then don't do it.

I want brighter lights on my car as well and now am thinking of aux Hellas. Not sure if I want/need a pair or just one will do. I plan to talk to the guy tomorrow. Nice guy and he talked me out of doing something similar earlier.

@mayankk, did you get the lights changed on your ride?
Old 13th June 2011, 20:52   #5167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

I will stop the car run and climb the adjacent lamp post.

No wonder eye hospitals are doing brisk business in even small towns.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:02   #5168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The kind of ceramic relays out here cant withstand the constant heat from these higher rated bulbs especially 100/130w. You are right about the light conditions on our roads. It's pathetic. You need something like this in Kerala

YouTube - ‪7 x 100W Xenon HID Lightforce on Nissan Patrol by HID-Lightsdownunder‬‏
I quite disagree. You don't need this kind of lighting anywhere be it Kerala or J/K except in a Night Rally or something to that effect. As others mentioned, this is surely going to kill the driver, the vehicle, the habitat and probably even some planets may be lit with this.

Guys please consider the oncoming traffic! You could end up getting someone killed.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:27   #5169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Ikon owners running on 90/100W please come forward for a testimony
Hi,
I have installed 100 / 90 Philips Halogen bulbs in my Dad's Ikon. The spread is really good and the difference is drastic as compared to the stock bulbs. Purchased PMP relay with wiring harness for Rs 500, and the bulbs were for Rs 85/- each.
The only hitch in wiring is to route the heavy guage wires and the ceramic holder through the reflector cap behind the headlamp. So I had to remove little amount of plastic around the cap, so as to route the heavy duty wires inside. The reflector is capable to handle 100/90W. No idea about 130W bulbs. Sorry for not posting pictures. The car is back in my home town, about 1.5K kms from here.
Old 13th June 2011, 22:24   #5170
BHPian

During weekend, I went ahead and got installed Hella Comet 450 lamps on my M800. Initial impression is good, but I'll give thumbs up only if these lamps provide good illumination in the rains .

Here are the pictures:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7860.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7889.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7897.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7891.jpg

Name:  IMG_7896.JPG
Views: 1205
Size:  291.3 KB

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7894.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07302.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07301.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07300.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07303.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07304.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07307.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc07308.jpg

An iron strip of 3mm thickness supports the lamps beneath the bumper to provide strength.

The relays conked off in the first usage itself . Got it replaced. And I bought one unit as back up.

There is separate switch for the lamps and they will light up only if the park lights are also switched on. There is also a 30A fuse connected.

Installation was done at AutoMate, near Vytilla.

I'm waiting to drive the car out in rains. I'll update after the drive.

2 questions:

1. Any reason why the relays conked off in the first day? Could it be a faulty unit or heavy load? Can any one provide mathematical figures for calculating the load?
2. Fuse used is 30A. How is this calculated?

Regards,
Jose.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 13th June 2011, 23:01   #5171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

The relays conked off in the first usage itself . Got it replaced. And I bought one unit as back up.

1. Any reason why the relays conked off in the first day? Could it be a faulty unit or heavy load? Can any one provide mathematical figures for calculating the load?
The relays included in the pack do conk off as they are built to "perfection" Some electricians call it "electronic" relays. Get a roots or PMP relay and they will work fine. (unless of course there is some issue with wiring)
Old 13th June 2011, 23:03   #5172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
2. Fuse used is 30A. How is this calculated?

Thanks,
Jose.
Its basic electrical stuff dude.
Power = Voltage X Current
Curent drawn by one 12V 55W bulb = 55/12 = 4.58 A
Current rating for the fuse = No of bulbs X current per bulb
= 2 X 4.58 = 9.16 A
Allowing a factor of 1.2 to 1.5 times steady state current for initial in rush current, final fuse rating should be 9.16 X 1.2 A or 9.16 X 1.5 A. Approximately a 15A fuse should do the job in your case with 2 X H3 halogen bulbs. As the stock headlamp bulbs are also rated for 55/60 W you could cross check with the fuse ratings of the same. You better go with those values. Say if 20A is mentioned for low beam in your owner's manual, then this should be right value 2 Nos of 55W halogens.
Hope this helped.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 10:25   #5173
BHPian

During some night drives ,especially between TVM and kollam, where you have some good curves on the roads , I somehow manage not run out of the road.The HB of some on the oncoming vehicle (Thinks its some kinda HID setup in stock casing) blinded me so badly that i dont have any clue where to turn in the curve or the curve is over or where the road is.No one dims the HB. So basically one has to be lucky to come out without any mishaps in these conditions. The monsoons added the worst.
Jose,How much did you pay for the set?

Last edited by bullboy : 14th June 2011 at 10:34.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:38   #5174
BHPian

[quote=josejoseph;2390144]During weekend, I went ahead and got installed Hella Comet 450 lamps on my M800. Initial impression is good, but I'll give thumbs up only if these lamps provide good illumination in the rains .

good job man! i liked it Now even im planning to do the same thing in my 800. Looks good bro
Old 14th June 2011, 16:14   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz

The relays included in the pack do conk off as they are built to "perfection"
Hi Shubz, what does "perfection" mean here? I kind of understand you quoting it but not the reason. Please do explain.

Most Viewed