Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 16:06   #5341
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi Naveen,

Thanks for posting the pics for me. I had actually seen this on your earlier post and was wondering how the cut off would like on a wall. I will only be looking at 4300K HID as its shows up a lot more detail during rains. I have 6K HIDs on my lancer and while they're droolmaal, they're worthless in bad weather.

Thanks again!

Tassem.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:08   #5342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hi Naveen,

Thanks for posting the pics for me. I had actually seen this on your earlier post and was wondering how the cut off would like on a wall. I will only be looking at 4300K HID as its shows up a lot more detail during rains. I have 6K HIDs on my lancer and while they're droolmaal, they're worthless in bad weather.

Thanks again!

Tassem.
4300k is better. But is just a bit more than 65w halogens in the rain.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:12   #5343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
4300k is better. But is just a bit more than 65w halogens in the rain.
But aren't they better than 6000k either ways? What do you think?

I also get this niggling feeling that cops will pull me over for the 6000K HIDS since they stand out so much. While I haven't actually been pulled over ever, the feeling is always there.

I figured since 4300K is the closest to Halogen, I would get better visibility and at the same time not have to worry about cops.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:15   #5344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But aren't they better than 6000k either ways? What do you think?

I also get this niggling feeling that cops will pull me over for the 6000K HIDS since they stand out so much. While I haven't actually been pulled over ever, the feeling is always there.

I figured since 4300K is the closest to Halogen, I would get better visibility and at the same time not have to worry about cops.
Look technically, even if they pull you over, HIDs are only 35w (most) so nothing illegal in that sense. But I've never seen anyone get stopped for HIDs.

4300k is definitely better than 6000k, and is much whiter than halogens but without the blue tinge of 6000k.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 16:24   #5345
BHPian

That does make sense. But my friend got pulled over near Indira Nagar and was fined under a category called "Dazzling Headlights". What makes it worse was that he was driving a CRV with stock headlights and bulbs! We didn't notice if he was on High beam or not in the rush.

To be honest with you I always get a sinking feeling of being inconvenienced whenever I see a police checkpoint. What's worse is that I get this feeling only while I'm in India!

I'm just waiting for someone to post the beam-cut off pattern on a stock clear lens reflector. After that I'll get the lamps installed.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:54   #5346
Distinguished - BHPian

@Tassem - 4300k will definitely perform better than 6000k HIDs. As mentioned, that's the only pic I have showing the HID beam pattern on stock reflectors. Here's my car's beam pattern - (the closest that I have)

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 20:12   #5347
BHPian

Hey Naveen, thanks for that. I think I'm almost there with the decision. I'm considering what I will do about the fact that I will not be able to use the HID to flash during overtaking etc. Never bothered me in my Lancer, but still.

Decisions, Decisions!

On a separate note, Will the HID in fog lamp assembly make for sufficient low beams or close?
Old 26th July 2011, 20:35   #5348
BHPian

HID as extra lamps - not headlight

Hi all
I am interested in fixing HID in my Bolero so need info on the following points

1. I don't want to install HID on my OEM head lamps, I want to fix them on extra lamps (is that ok?)

2. If yes - What are the prefered fog / acc lamps - not Hella / Lightforce but slightly cheaper (not so cheap that it will melt).

3. I know HID is white light but I prefer yellow beam. I guess the yellow fog lamp glass should do. I want them for highway at night & foggy drives only

4. I understand that the electrician should be experienced so please recommend a place in Bangalore - preferbly Indiranagar side but other locations are fine too

Any more technical gyan is welcome
Old 26th July 2011, 20:37   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Naveen, thanks for that. I think I'm almost there with the decision. I'm considering what I will do about the fact that I will not be able to use the HID to flash during overtaking etc. Never bothered me in my Lancer, but still.

Decisions, Decisions!

On a separate note, Will the HID in fog lamp assembly make for sufficient low beams or close?
Why???
if you use a BI-Xenon HID,why wont you be able to flash HID while overtaking?
Old 26th July 2011, 20:45   #5350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Decisions, Decisions!

No. Fogs wont give the distance as seen in low beams. Fogs are designed for shorter spread. So it wont replace low beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
My answers in bold

Hi all

1. I don't want to install HID on my OEM head lamps, I want to fix them on extra lamps (is that ok?)

Yes, this is absolutely fine.

2. If yes - What are the prefered fog / acc lamps - not Hella / Lightforce but slightly cheaper (not so cheap that it will melt).

I would recommend Hella since it performs well. Going for cheap lights will be risky. Check out eBay for better options.

3. I know HID is white light but I prefer yellow beam. I guess the yellow fog lamp glass should do. I want them for highway at night & foggy drives only

HID is not white. They start from pure yellow all the way to purple/pink and green. I would recommend 3000k color temp HIDs for this but it's to find them in India. If unsuccessful, check out online shops.

4. I understand that the electrician should be experienced so please recommend a place in Bangalore - preferbly Indiranagar side but other locations are fine too

JC road for cheap installs. Else check out Evo. Highly recommended among bhpians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why???
Rightly said. @Tassem - this is what I want to say too.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:52   #5351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why???
You can use a Bi-Xenon HID to flash IF the light has been on for a while. But during the day if the lights are off, you cannot flash because HIDs take a while to warm up to their full brightness.

Moreover, its not advisable to turn the HID lamps on and off in close succession. I dont mean flashing High and Low, I mean On and Off since this damages the globe. Flashing is accomplished by an electromagnet which moves the bulb back and forth.

Quote:
Hi all

1- Yes its ok.

2- Any after marked auxilliary lamp, provided you can find the corresponding HID lamp. H1 is a common bulb type in auxilliary lamps and H1 HIDs are easy to source. HIDs will not melt any reflector based on the fact that most aux lamps are 55W. HIDs start up hotter but run cooler.

3- 3000K HID will give you real performance in fog. But they're difficult to source now. 4300K is your best bet. Not too white, not too yellow, but crazy bright!

4- Installing an HID kit is not complicated. The ballasts have plugs that only go where they should. You need to wire it up to the battery and add a switch which is again simple. Routing the wires and ensuring the ballasts are safely tucked away from water/grime etc is common sense. Go to any trustworthy auto electrician and he will do this. But in your case, you will need to make mounts as well. So factor that in.

- Since you say Indiranagar, give Satya (Blueraven) from EVO a call. You will find his details in the tuner section. Alternatively you can try JC road for the Aux Lamp unit. For 4300K HID, call Sandeep Chawla on 080-26708097. He's a friendly bloke and is a distributor for Philips genuine kits.

- A thing to keep in mind is to properly aim these lamps. Most Aux lamps throw a concentrated beam which just amplifies when used with an HID. Also, get one flood and one pencil beam for maximum function.

Last edited by Tassem : 26th July 2011 at 20:53.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 22:39   #5352
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naveen, i checked out the retrorides website. Now my doubt is that OHC headlamp as shown in that pic has 2 projector pods on each headlamp kit (i.e. left side has two pods and so does the right one), does both the pods have the HID bulbs and the angel eyes or is one a normal H4 bulb. I just had a look at the video you had posted and was wondering how the high / low beam stuff happens as i went to a local accesorries shop today and he was convinced that only 1 beam will work and we cant have both.

I am confused as to whether if i get an option, should i go for these kits.

Please advise. Furthermore, if the bulbs provided by retrorides get damaged or stop working, what would be the next course of action. Would we have to buy a new HID Kit again.

Many Thanks

Raj
Old 27th July 2011, 09:51   #5353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can use a Bi-Xenon HID to flash IF the light has been on for a while. But during the day if the lights are off, you cannot flash because HIDs take a while to warm up to their full brightness.

Moreover, its not advisable to turn the HID lamps on and off in close succession. I dont mean flashing High and Low, I mean On and Off since this damages the globe. Flashing is accomplished by an electromagnet which moves the bulb back and forth.
You will be able to flash the lights. Although HIDs take time to warm up, it's possible to flash the lights. I have seen this in my car and the flash is pretty bright for other cars to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi Naveen, i checked out the retrorides website. Now my doubt is that OHC headlamp as shown in that pic has 2 projector pods on each headlamp kit (i.e. left side has two pods and so does the right one), does both the pods have the HID bulbs and the angel eyes or is one a normal H4 bulb. I just had a look at the video you had posted and was wondering how the high / low beam stuff happens as i went to a local accesorries shop today and he was convinced that only 1 beam will work and we cant have both.

I am confused as to whether if i get an option, should i go for these kits.

Please advise. Furthermore, if the bulbs provided by retrorides get damaged or stop working, what would be the next course of action. Would we have to buy a new HID Kit again.

Many Thanks

Raj
Can you post the pic? Dont think they will provide HIDs on both low and high beams. It depends on the dealer. When I got my projectors, I just got Philips Halogens. I had to pay extra for the HIDs.

My projector got a single bulb setup. One bulb is used for both low and high beam. For two bulb setup, usually the high beam is reflector type and the low beam is projector type (it may differ since many after market kit have both projector setups). But using two projectors will be expensive so many kit have one projector and one reflector setup.

Most shops wont provide replacement HID's. You will have to buy the entire kit. But replacement bulbs are readily available in many online shops.

Kindly post the pic so that I can get to comment more on it.
Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 10:37   #5354
BHPian

Experts,

Please suggest better headlight setup for Scorpio since the stocks suck big time . I dont want to go for HIDs. Just a good bulb upgrade along with efficient relay kit would do.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Old 27th July 2011, 12:49   #5355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Experts,

Please suggest better headlight setup for Scorpio since the stocks suck big time . I dont want to go for HIDs. Just a good bulb upgrade along with efficient relay kit would do.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Go for Philips 90/100w Halogens bulbs. There are many models available in Philips though. Make sure you have ceramic holders, relays and proper wiring harness for this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks