Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 20:54   #5866
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

My i10 stock lights have the following specs:

Headlights (High/Low) : 60W/55W
Front Fog Lights: 27W

I recently took a drive along NH6 in the night and found these lights to be barely adequate for highway driving. Please advice on suitable upgrade for bulbs for better visibility.
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:46   #5867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Thanks Naveen. What should be ideal wattage I should for? I visited a showroom today evening and he suggested me 80W and 100W for low beam and high beam repectively, while the current ones are 55W as per the manual.
For higher wattage bulbs, you can go for 90/100w. That's the upgrade option you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
My i10 stock lights have the following specs:

Headlights (High/Low) : 60W/55W
Front Fog Lights: 27W

I recently took a drive along NH6 in the night and found these lights to be barely adequate for highway driving. Please advice on suitable upgrade for bulbs for better visibility.
You can go for higher wattage bulbs (90/100w). There are many brands like Philips, Osram Hella etc. Make you to get the complete set when you go for higher wattage bulbs (Ceramic Holders, Relays, Wiring kit)
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:21   #5868
BHPian

Quote:
You can go for higher wattage bulbs (90/100w). There are many brands like Philips, Osram Hella etc. Make you to get the complete set when you go for higher wattage bulbs (Ceramic Holders, Relays, Wiring kit)
Thanks for the advice. Will I require ceramic holders and relays with 90/100W bulbs? Also, will the fog lamps be of the same wattage. I am interested in getting amber/yellow lights for fog lamps as they offer better visibility in fog. Does the color depend on the bulb or the complete set needs to be replaced?
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:12   #5869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Thanks for the advice. Will I require ceramic holders and relays with 90/100W bulbs? Also, will the fog lamps be of the same wattage. I am interested in getting amber/yellow lights for fog lamps as they offer better visibility in fog. Does the color depend on the bulb or the complete set needs to be replaced?
Definitely. You will need ceramic holder and relays with 90/100w. The stock setup wont be able to withstand it. The stock bulbs are of 55w.
Fogs will/may be of similar wattage.
Color depends on the temp scale that each bulb use. For yellow light, you will need to go for 3000k (k - kelvin). 4300k will be white light with a tinge of yellow color, 6000k will be pure white with a tinge of blue ad anything above that will be more of bluish shade and are illegal.
For fogs, I would suggest you to stick with the stock wattage and go for better brands.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:28   #5870
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bhpians,
I have a Black Vento TDi HL with current headlamp setup as Philips 90/100 W bulbs with PMP relays and stock fog lamps.
I wan't to change them to white light compared to yellow light. Have recently driven Honda Accord Euro with white lights so hooked on since. What would you all suggest from Philips keeping the output same if not less compared to 90/100 bulbs. Earlier my Vento was having 60W bulbs which were ineffective so had them changed.
I even want to change the fog lamps and parking lights in head lamp casing to white to give it a complete effect. Don't know the wattage of the fog lamps.
Please suggest. I might change them myself it has been elaborated in the manual on how to change.
Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:35   #5871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
For higher wattage bulbs, you can go for 90/100w. That's the upgrade option you have.

I visited an accessories shop yesterday evening and installed higher wattage Phillips bulb :

High/Low : 100W (INR 275)/80W (INR 160)

The difference was quite apparent.

I asked the owner of the shop (Mr.Vijay) about changing the holders/relays etc but he assured me that it should not be a problem and the current set up will withstand this kind of load. He said he has done it in other vehicles as well and have not recieved any complaint.

Due to time crunch I took his word and got the job done. I hope, this does not cause any harm to the headlight unit and I complete the trip without any trouble.

And one thing is sure, changing bulbs in Vista is a difficult task. You to loosen the entire front bumper then take out the headlamp units and change. Without removing/loosening the bumper, the task is next to impossible.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:46   #5872
BHPian

Quote:
I visited an accessories shop yesterday evening and installed higher wattage Phillips bulb :

High/Low : 100W (INR 275)/80W (INR 160)

The difference was quite apparent.

I asked the owner of the shop (Mr.Vijay) about changing the holders/relays etc but he assured me that it should not be a problem and the current set up will withstand this kind of load. He said he has done it in other vehicles as well and have not recieved any complaint.

Due to time crunch I took his word and got the job done. I hope, this does not cause any harm to the headlight unit and I complete the trip without any trouble.

And one thing is sure, changing bulbs in Vista is a difficult task. You to loosen the entire front bumper then take out the headlamp units and change. Without removing/loosening the bumper, the task is next to impossible.
Where is this Shop in pune?
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:55   #5873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Where is this Shop in pune?
Mr.Vijay Jagdale. Car Sonics, Kharadi Bypass Road.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:13   #5874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It's always better to use ceramic holders/relays when going for higher wattage bulbs. Couple of my friends didnt go for them and their headlight unit was burnt in the process. Why take the risk? Go for the complete set soon.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:59   #5875
BHPian

Quote:
It's always better to use ceramic holders/relays when going for higher wattage bulbs. Couple of my friends didnt go for them and their headlight unit was burnt in the process. Why take the risk? Go for the complete set soon.
As per your advise, spoke to my dealer for doing these fitment. He says ceramic holders are not available for H1/H7 bulbs. He said, we can add relay which will increase the power but the standard holders will not be able to sustain that. Right now, we have only changed the bulbs. Though we have put 100W or 80W bulbs they will not produce 100% wattage and will work at 60-70% efficiency, which the current setup can sustain.

I am confused and time to start journey is nearing!! Shall I roll back to original bulbs or stick with current upgrade??
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:19   #5876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per your advise, spoke to my dealer for doing these fitment. He says ceramic holders are not available for H1/H7 bulbs. He said, we can add relay which will increase the power but the standard holders will not be able to sustain that. Right now, we have only changed the bulbs. Though we have put 100W or 80W bulbs they will not produce 100% wattage and will work at 60-70% efficiency, which the current setup can sustain.

I am confused and time to start journey is nearing!! Shall I roll back to original bulbs or stick with current upgrade??
Am not sure on this. I have even heard ceramic holders not capable of sustaining the heat from the high wattage bulbs. So in the case when ceramic holders are not used, I think it will be risky. If you have a continuous night drive say for 3-4 hours at a stretch, I would suggest you to get back to the stock bulbs.

Why take the risk dude? Stay safe.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:38   #5877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Everybody who have used Philips they say it's the best
85122+, but now the bulbs are not manufactured below 6000K as of now.
I have 4300K Morimoto D2S bulbs, I'm quite happy with them.

My highway is not well lit (NH48, which is being convereted into 6 lane)

As mentioend earlier, Most of the parts were sourced from TRS (Usa)
Check here
PNP Upgrade: Bi-xenon - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
Fog Light: Blazers - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

Additional HID Kit + Mini Morimoto H1 Projectors.
The website is very interesting indeed.

Before I see more deeply into the website, I have a few questions again
  1. What is the difference between Bi-Xenon Stage 3, Stage 4 and Morimoto Mini Stage 3 kits?
  2. So if I get it correctly, I am supposed to get a Complete retrofit kit from the website and it will have everything the auto shop I go to will need to remove the low beam bulb and put in the projector lamp without cutting the original assembly?
  3. Is it better to get a retrofit kit or a new assembly all together? (I am assuming all this would be plug and play, thus no wire cutting)
  4. Do I get warranty with the products I buy? If not, then to the least should I buy HID bulbs from India (the ones with warranty)?
I am a total noob when it comes to car lighting :(
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:56   #5878
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:

Yep, now imagine your headlamp assembly burns out somewhere on a highway in the middle of nowhere , and its 1am, and you cant change the headlights easily... and even if you could, the assembly/wiring is burnt out!

Better to leave stock headlights as is and add auxiliary lights as a redundant backup.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:06   #5879
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen. What should be ideal wattage I should for? I visited a showroom today evening and he suggested me 80W and 100W for low beam and high beam repectively, while the current ones are 55W as per the manual.
Aniket, Dont know if I am late to respond. But PLEASE don't put in the bulbs that he says without upgrading your relays. Look for some posts which I have made.

The Vista uses an H7(low)/H1(high) setup. Both bulbs are on when you are in high beam and the relay is designed to handle the load only with 55W bulbs. An upgrade to all 4 will seriously tax your headlamps and you might have a failure in the middle of nowhere.

A safe option is to look for Osram NightBreakers or Philips Xtremevision.

Another slightly unsafe but still a middle of the road option is to put in an 80W bulb on the left low beam, this will improve the vision on low beam and not tax the setup too much. High beam is good by default.

Also carry two spare bulbs (it should be in your glovebox by default- I had got mine with the car) and 10A, 15A, and 5A fuses, with an additional relay (25).

This is like an emergency kit and helps. Doesnt cost much as well. I did a Pune Hyd at night and this setup worked perfectly.

Last edited by torquecurve : 3rd February 2012 at 21:09.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:26   #5880

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Also carry two spare bulbs (it should be in your glovebox by default- I had got mine with the car) and 10A, 15A, and 5A fuses, with an additional relay (25).
I had got the headlamps changed on my i10 as the 65/55 standard one was not good enough on the highways. I got it changed to 100/90 with a relay switch and 2 fuse, one for the low and one for the high beam (I guess the fuse should have been for right and left lamps, but this is how it works on mine, may be someone can confirm if this is the right way of setting it up). The fuse used is of 15A.

However I have noticed one problem with my car, whenever the ignition is turned on with the headlights on, one of the fuses goes off, could be low or high beam, dont know why this happens, guess there is some issue with the wiring. So now I always make sure to turn the headlights off before turning on the ignition. A similar issue with my friends's i10 with 100/90, but here the bulb goes off as he does not have the fuse installed. Not sure if it is a problem with i10.

I strongly agree with Torquecurve when it comes to carrying spare bulbs and fuses during long trips and make sure you can DIY if something goes wrong.

Most Viewed