Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 18:53   #6031
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I have an old santro and the headlights have now fogged with age (I have tried all methods available to clean them foggy lights). Now my driving is mostly in the dark, does it make sense for me to get HIDs considering the lights are now fogged? Appreciate your advise.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:16   #6032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
A1 wheel Alignment Center near Ashoka Pillar Jayanagar. He does a good job for Rs. 200. Got the alignment equipement for better accuracy.

While coming from Nimhans hospital side, you hit the Y cross, straight goes towards city market and left leg towards Ashoka pillar jayanagar. This shop is just begining of that cross in the lefthand side. Sorry if this location detail is confusing to you.
I had my car done there and few of my friends' as well and all happy with the result. I strongly suggest an alignment at such professional shops (with proper equipments) especially after upgrades.
Naah! i think i got your directions, will try and go there tomorrow and check it out, the TASS just sucks when it comes to these small but important things.
Old 18th March 2012, 21:23   #6033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

Well true.Whether its fog lamp or head lamps,anything over 4300K is not good from a functionality point of view! Although if you put HID in the fog there will be much less scattering and you get a good beam pattern
Very true for the functionality part in CT but how does it helps for better beam spread? Beam spread will be same for all CTs it's the optics design and the source of light determins mainly. If you plonk HID on a halogen reflector the beam spread will be sacrificed that's the fact.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:29   #6034
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some help .

Need new bulbs for my Octavia Ambiente. The car comes with halogen lamps. I do not know which brand of bulbs my car is currently running on, they are pathetic! After browsing through the previous pages i have come to the conclusion that the Osram Nightbreakers & Philips Extreme Vision / Extreme Power are the better ones among the lot. Which ones should i choose? Plan to change low beam/high beam as well as the fogs which are in the headlight assembly. Which ones are recommended? Also according to some members Nightbreakers are a bit overrated. The bulb should throw out marginally white light just like the projectors!

Also my left headlamp has faded & that is affecting the throw of the light, should i change the whole assembly or go in for restoration at some shop?

Last edited by PPS : 20th March 2012 at 11:31.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:31   #6035
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
I have an old santro and the headlights have now fogged with age (I have tried all methods available to clean them foggy lights). Now my driving is mostly in the dark, does it make sense for me to get HIDs considering the lights are now fogged? Appreciate your advise.
Mine are also scratched. Putting more juice will improve the visibility, but the proper (and expensive) option will be replace the lights. Re-polishing is almost impossible, and the reflector must also be getting dimmed.
Old 20th March 2012, 16:17   #6036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is easy to understand why blue light is not effective in fog / rain. Fog and rain particles scatter light. Scattering increases as the fifth power of the wavelength. Blue has almost double the wavelength of red, so is scattered 32 times more. Hence more backscatter glare and less visibility.
Thanks for the explanation. I understood the logic. I guess, there are a few minor mistakes here.

1) Red has more wavelength than blue.
2) Scatter should be more for a lesser wavelength ( or higher frequency ).
3) Blue coating helps create a white light out of the yellow light ( not blue light ). So, the variance in scattering might not be as differentiated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As an aside the practice of using yellow fogs originated during Le Mans in the fifties. Blinded by the glare some drivers decided to paste newspaper on the headlamps. The paper was yellow (typical newsprint) and the visibility improved. So one thing led to another.
That was very informative!
Old 21st March 2012, 08:57   #6037
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I understood the logic. I guess, there are a few minor mistakes here.

1) Red has more wavelength than blue.
2) Scatter should be more for a lesser wavelength ( or higher frequency ).
3) Blue coating helps create a white light out of the yellow light ( not blue light ). So, the variance in scattering might not be as differentiated.
1. Yes. Red stretches to about 700nm while Blue (or rather Violet) is about 350nm.
2. Exactly,
3. It is illusionary. What you are doing is filtering out part of the red end, and not adding anything. So while it may look good it will not improve the illumination. I will prefer no colours or, if one must, a yellow tint for the purpose. The blue end is responsible for the bulk of the glare being reflected back.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 18:09   #6038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
3. It is illusionary. What you are doing is filtering out part of the red end, and not adding anything. So while it may look good it will not improve the illumination. I will prefer no colours or, if one must, a yellow tint for the purpose. The blue end is responsible for the bulk of the glare being reflected back.
I agree with you that the resultant light is worse than the default light when coated with blue. My point was that the scattering might not be 32 times because, it's not pure blue. :-)
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:46   #6039
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I agree with you that the resultant light is worse than the default light when coated with blue. My point was that the scattering might not be 32 times because, it's not pure blue. :-)
Agree the actual loss is less. Actually the wavelength ratio will be more like 1.5 max so the drop is not that drastic. But then add to it the back reflection which causes the glare. What I was hinting at was as there was no addition of energy, the filtered light (from the coloured bulb) will have less energy in it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 09:56   #6040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

I was looking for such solutions for my Safari since long. I designed it also but did not get any fabricator for the same. Later on I just left it.
Hi Anuj,
i found this : http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Lightbar.html/ - you may check it.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 20:47   #6041
Senior - BHPian

Need help in getting my head lamps focused. Any place in Pune which has proper equipment or skilled people?
Old 30th March 2012, 14:53   #6042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I am looking to upgrade the fog lamps for my all new swift. Could anyone guide me in telling which is the best brand of H8 (white) light. The upgrade is purely for aesthetic appeal as I have already changed my headlights to 90/100 white light.

It would also be interesting to know H8 SMD LED bulbs are available India.
You sure you want to upgrade your fogs to white light . As i understand your headlamps already upgraded to white light which have poor visibility in rains . Adding fogs as white would even worsen the rain driving .

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Need help in getting my head lamps focused. Any place in Pune which has proper equipment or skilled people?
What vehicle you want it for ? Its a pretty simple job and the only equipment required is a screw-driver .Any competent garage would do it @ a nominal amount for you . Let me know what part of Pune you looking for and I can suggest some garages .
Old 30th March 2012, 15:16   #6043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Naah! i think i got your directions, will try and go there tomorrow and check it out, the TASS just sucks when it comes to these small but important things.
Went to A1 Alignment center and got the HL focussed properly, now I drive with the low in Position 1 instead of 0 in the leveler. Now i need to get a Osram nightbreaker or a 80W philips for the low beam.
Old 31st March 2012, 13:12   #6044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post

What vehicle you want it for ? Its a pretty simple job and the only equipment required is a screw-driver .Any competent garage would do it @ a nominal amount for you . Let me know what part of Pune you looking for and I can suggest some garages .
This is for Cedia. Even A.S.S. has tried and failed.
I would still want to give it one more try.
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:07   #6045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy82_2000 View Post
All,

Just got new set of hooters for my red rascal figo... 100/135 philips essential vision.. had to get ceramic holders and a whole kit for the same. Love my ride now!
Even i feel that the Figo lamps are not good enough after riding my zen with 135/90 for all these years

you got it done at dealership or outside? Did you check with dealer if this will void electrical warranty? How much you had paid for the bulbs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks