Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2012, 22:27   #6331
SAS
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
Is anybody done a light output comparison in K (Kelvin) with Philips Rally 100/90 against Osram?

What is the best bulb in 100/90W Region in Terms of K?

Depending what you want, whether yellowish or bluish. Yellowish is more safer for the roads in rains, etc while blueish is more for style and more natural coloured light.

Best in terms of lumens (light output) is the philips rally. Downsde of it is it's life is shorter than normal bulbs because it burns brighter. It is the best bulb IMHO. I used it for around 3 years (multiple sets) with relays.

If you prefer blue, currently there are essential vision by philips. Those are essentially the rally bulbs with a blue coating. The downside is that the bulb output is marginally lower due to the blue coating. The essential vision is excellent balance between whiteness and light output...

If you want only light output, then Rally, else Essential vision..
Old 12th August 2012, 22:42   #6332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is anybody done a light output comparison in K (Kelvin) with Philips Rally 100/90 against Osram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I need your help. I'll go for the 100/90 ones but tell me which bulbs should I get.

I want White/light blue bulbs for the parking lights but confused whether I should get white or yellow ones for the low beam/ high beam.
Also what would be the approximate cost?.
opalcute & StrangeWizard, my suggestion go for 100/90 bulbs with Bosch or Hella relay. The best for 100/90 with white light would be Philips EssentialVision 100/90W.

Below link should help you out, as I too have same setup with white light for parking light, rear number plate and as well for fog lamps.

Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 03:28   #6333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
opalcute & StrangeWizard, my suggestion go for 100/90 bulbs with Bosch or Hella relay. The best for 100/90 with white light would be Philips EssentialVision 100/90W.

Below link should help you out, as I too have same setup with white light for parking light, rear number plate and as well for fog lamps.

Link.
Hey thanks man. I went through your thread and your black car looks really good with the white lights all around. Even I have a black car.

I've seen people here mention that they have used relays and ceramic holders when installing powerful bulbs. Why haven't you got these fitted?
Also how long do these bulbs last? I think I read somewhere that one of your headlight wasn't working properly.

Cheers.
Old 13th August 2012, 12:57   #6334

Quote:

Where we can get Original Philips Rally in Coimbatore?

Ups! I have confused K and Lumens. So, What is the best bulb in 100/90W Region in Terms of lumens? Anybody did a light output comparison in terms of Lumens?
Old 13th August 2012, 15:07   #6335
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys I did a long trip of 550 kms yesterday and about 250 kms were done at night. I realized my Chevrolet Spark's headlights aren't adequate enough for the highways. So I'm going to upgrade them tomorrow.

I need your help. I'll go for the 100/90 ones but tell me which bulbs should I get.

I want White/light blue bulbs for the parking lights but confused whether I should get white or yellow ones for the low beam/ high beam.
Also what would be the approximate cost?

Kindly suggest. Thanks.
Hi Even I own Spark and would admit that headlamps are poor in terms of lighting road. I have OSRAM NB but there was only marginal improvement.

For using 100/90 I believe we need to change plastic holders to ceramic ones and even add a relay.

If some body could suggest anything better would be more than welcome.

Rgrds
Old 13th August 2012, 15:33   #6336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks man. I went through your thread and your black car looks really good with the white lights all around. Even I have a black car.
You are welcome and thanks for the compliments!

Quote:
I've seen people here mention that they have used relays and ceramic holders when installing powerful bulbs. Why haven't you got these fitted?
Yes, if you use bulbs in excess of 60/55W rating, for say 100/90W, you need to use relays. Since 100/90W generate lot of heat, there is high chance it will fry the wiring harness. That's why we use relays which act as a circuit breaker and doesn't cause any harm to the OEM wiring harnesss.

I have PMP relays which were installed previously before I changed bulbs to white ones. Go either with Bosch or Hella and if both are not available PMP as the last resort.

Quote:
Also how long do these bulbs last?
Very dicey to answer. My car doesn't do much night driving, so I'm okay with the life span of white bulbs. Whereas their life span is shorter than those normal yellow bulbs, that's for sure.

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that one of your headlight wasn't working properly.
The problem came out to be a faulty earthing for that headlight, 5 min job to get it working again by FNAG. Bulbs & relay both working fine. Only thing I keep spare with me are 30A fuse(Rs. 5 per piece) which go out quite regularly because of the 100/90W bulbs heat.

Quote:
I have confused K and Lumens. So, What is the best bulb in 100/90W Region in Terms of lumens? Anybody did a light output comparison in terms of Lumens?
Here is my take, in order of output.
1. Philips EssentialPower 100/90W

2. Philips EssentialVision 100/90W White Color

3. Lastly if you were to be in 60/55 range Philips X-TremeVision

You can go through Philips complete range of automotive lighting here.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 16:36   #6337
BHPian

Quote:

Where we can get Original Philips Rally in Coimbatore?[/b]
Try Third space in Ram nagar,if not Alagendran in Dr.Nanjappa road.You might get them at the stadium accessory stores,but it might be fake.
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 17:54   #6338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Hi Even I own Spark and would admit that headlamps are poor in terms of lighting road. I have OSRAM NB but there was only marginal improvement.

For using 100/90 I believe we need to change plastic holders to ceramic ones and even add a relay.

If some body could suggest anything better would be more than welcome.

Rgrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
You are welcome and thanks for the compliments

Yes, if you use bulbs in excess of 60/55W rating, for say 100/90W, you need to use relays. Since 100/90W generate lot of heat, there is high chance it will fry the wiring harness. That's why we use relays which act as a circuit breaker and doesn't cause any harm to the OEM wiring harnesss.

I have PMP relays which were installed previously before I changed bulbs to white ones. Go either with Bosch or Hella and if both are not available PMP as the last resort.

Very dicey to answer. My car doesn't do much night driving, so I'm okay with the life span of white bulbs. Whereas their life span is shorter than those normal yellow bulbs, that's for sure.

The problem came out to be a faulty earthing for that headlight, 5 min job to get it working again by FNAG. Bulbs & relay both working fine. Only thing I keep spare with me are 30A fuse(Rs. 5 per piece) which go out quite regularly because of the 100/90W bulbs heat.

Here is my take, in order of output.
1. Philips EssentialPower 100/90W

2. Philips EssentialVision 100/90W White Color

3. Lastly if you were to be in 60/55 range Philips X-TremeVision

You can go through Philips complete range of automotive lighting here.
I upgraded the lights today at 11 Echoes, Borivali.
Got Philips Rally 100/90 yellow bulbs - Rs 400 for the set.
White led bulbs for the parking light - Rs 150 for the set.
White led bulbs for the rear number plate- Rs 150.
Relay and wiring- Rs 550.
Labour- Rs 100
Total Rs 1350.

I'll check out the difference in brightness at night and post pics here.

Cheers.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:50   #6339
BHPian

I saw an OHC a couple of days back with projectors (with angel eyes) in the fog lamp slots. It looked really cool. Any idea of the reliability in case of rains as these will be exposed directly? I plan on getting a set for my Swift. Attaching a pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-flszswift05ccflprobkd.jpg  

Old 15th August 2012, 16:09   #6340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
I saw an OHC a couple of days back with projectors (with angel eyes) in the fog lamp slots. It looked really cool. Any idea of the reliability in case of rains as these will be exposed directly? I plan on getting a set for my Swift. Attaching a pic for reference.
That for sure is not a stock bumper on the OHC. So it explains the "round" cutout in the bumper that is an easy fit for most aftermarket aux lights. Though of course this looks quite cool.

You should have clicked a snap of the full bumper But with the state of roads in India, I doubt these are going to remain damage free for long
Old 15th August 2012, 19:44   #6341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
That for sure is not a stock bumper on the OHC.
Oops! I forgot to mention, that is not an OHC but a Swift. I found this pic online. This is what it will look like on a Swift.
Are projectors waterproof? In case of rains, is there a chance they might go kaput since the lens is exposed? Feedback from someone who has such a setup will be much appreciated
Old 16th August 2012, 23:58   #6342
BHPian

Hi All,

I want to upgrade my Ritz's Headlights to Projectors, I am right now using hella 100/90 (without any relay just plugged into the OEM socket)which I am finding difficult to drive in the night due to highbeams of lorries & busses. Can anyone suggest me what is that I need to use.

Thanks & Regards,
Jagadeesh

Last edited by jagadeesh.b : 17th August 2012 at 00:03.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:22   #6343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane

Oops! I forgot to mention, that is not an OHC but a Swift. I found this pic online. This is what it will look like on a Swift.
Are projectors waterproof? In case of rains, is there a chance they might go kaput since the lens is exposed? Feedback from someone who has such a setup will be much appreciated
I had a similar set up on my Scorpio. The projectors were not available aftermarket when I had this done. I had to break open a sonata HL and get the projectors from Pudupet then I mounded it with Mseal. It was waster proof until a blue car (that colour was stained on
My bumper) hit my parked card near Nungambakkam.
Old 18th August 2012, 10:47   #6344

Note from Team-bhp support: The pictures you posted are too large in size and causes an inconvenience to our mobile and small screen users. Please go through this thread to understand how to upload images on team-bhp.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th August 2012 at 08:41. Reason: See note in post.
cornkracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 20:12   #6345
BHPian

Thanks for the info! Aftermarket projectors are available a-plenty in Bangalore Just wanted to know their reliability in rains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks