Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 12:14   #6436
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I used Osram Nightbreaker Plus 60/55w for some time in my Dzire, it was much better than the stock bulb but when it rains the visibility was very poor. Hence moved to 100/90 Philips Rally with relay.
Am considering Osram NB+ too. When you say the visibility was poor in rain, you do mean in comparison to 100/90 right? Was it not better than stock?

I do not want to go with 100/90 as I had a blow out once even with the relay and all. Managed with fogs then, but now I dont have fogs so dread another blow out.

Meanwhile are the NB+ and vision extreme 60/55 as reliable as stock? I do not want to tamper with the wiring anymore.
Old 12th October 2012, 19:22   #6437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup

Am considering Osram NB+ too. When you say the visibility was poor in rain, you do mean in comparison to 100/90 right? Was it not better than stock?
Meanwhile are the NB+ and vision extreme 60/55 as reliable as stock? I do not want to tamper with the wiring anymore.
Osram NB+ is great within the city in low beam. The intensity is much better than with stock bulbs.

I have a Polo with these bulbs and I'm not happy with the high beam especially when it rains. On non GQ like highways,the minute you have a vehicle come in the opposite direction you won't be able to see as much as 5 feet ahead of your car even on low beam. It may be because they use much powerful bulbs but I had to reduce speed considerably every time a vehicle passed.

Its good within city use,for the highways 90/100 is better IMO. Reliability is also pretty good,been using them for close to 2 years now, and no issues so far.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 12th October 2012 at 19:23.
Old 12th October 2012, 21:50   #6438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju

I would recommend OEM fogs with upgraded bulbs (maybe higher wattage than stock bulbs).
How much high can one go with the stock wiring ? If you have 35w fog light bulbs as stock, can you add a 55w bulb without a relay ?
Old 13th October 2012, 02:16   #6439
BHPian

Need help guys.I have recently got myself a Xylo E9 and found both the OE headlamps and fog lamps below par as far as illumination is concerned.I have changed headlamps to Philips Extreme Vision bulbs and adressed that to a certain degree.
But Im totally at a loss as far as the fog lamps go.I find they are no better than the parking lights.It is a shame to call them "Fog lights" which I feel is too ambitious a word to describe these poor little things
Any suggestions of upgrade which does not involve adding extra lights,cutout,wiring etc would be helpful as warranty clause is strict and I have been told not to meddle with wiring.
Any hiegher capacity bulbs for OE fog lamps available?or does anyone know if the unit itself can be replaced with similar shape unit which sits inside the front bumper?The idea is totally functionality driven and I need to get well illumination on the road.
Old 16th October 2012, 15:08   #6440
BANNED

I came across LED bulbs with 3000K colour temperature. These are labelled Warm Daylight. Now I am wondering whether someone has developed fog light bulb replacements using 3000K LEDs?
Old 17th October 2012, 22:54   #6441
BHPian

I have read here about volvo headlamp units (7000 rs a pair) being used on a swift.My doubt is the following in short
1.can they be used on other vehicles too?eg my xylo by fixing inside front bumpers by cutting a round hole to exactly match?
2.does the unit come with brackets etc to hold it in place behind the bumper?
3.does it have cover to protect it from water?(since the location is similar inside a swift bumper it must be having a cover).f
4.Finally where are they available in Bangalore?

Reply by people using it in swift having taken the trouble to do the shopping /fixing it etc. would be appreciated.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:09   #6442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
I have read here about volvo headlamp units (7000 rs a pair) being used on a swift.
Reply by people using it in swift having taken the trouble to do the shopping /fixing it etc. would be appreciated.
Yes, xryder got them in his Swift. Just drop a PM to clear your doubts. Guess I have attached the pics long time back.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:10   #6443
BHPian

Could somebody please suggest a good installer in Bangalore east who has good variety of HID assembly kits in stock.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:48   #6444
BHPian

[quote=NKR;2666344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

I called up the philips dealer in Kochi and he directed me to VV Auto Spares in Palarivattom. However I installed night breaker plus for low and high beams and not philips bulbs as i read that they were better. VV has a good collection of bulbs and light accessories.
I was going to go to the exact shop (recommended by a friend).

How are the NB+ performing? In night generally and especially in the rain?
Old 18th October 2012, 12:25   #6445
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=revintup;2936374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post

I was going to go to the exact shop (recommended by a friend).

How are the NB+ performing? In night generally and especially in the rain?
I havent used NB+, only used Osram Cool Blue for couple of months. It performed really well when compared to stock headlights especially at night. Then switched to projectors+HIDs.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:46   #6446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
How has the performance been so far? Any issues with upgrading to 100/90 on stock wiring? I am in the same boat as you and had almost finalised on Osram NB+ 60/55 for my Linea.
One thing I would say from personal experience is that 90/100 can burn your reflectors. It happened in my case (for only one side though). This is due to excessive heat that is produced at that wattage.

So, even with relays, you always stand a risk of burning out the reflectors.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 17:20   #6447

I do a bit of night and early morning driving on highways of western UP and Uttarakhand, in my SX4. Stock headlamps are pretty ineffective in most stretches. Switched to halogens about a year back, but they too were of no use.
Someone suggested the Hella H4 120/110W. If I go in for this, will I need to add a relay, holders and/or change my wiring harness? Or will the stock holders and harness of the SX4 hold up?
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th October 2012, 19:16   #6448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextaurus View Post
Someone suggested the Hella H4 120/110W. If I go in for this, will I need to add a relay, holders and/or change my wiring harness? Or will the stock holders and harness of the SX4 hold up?
Thanks in advance.
120/110 is too much I would say. Yes, you will have to go for relay, ceramic holders and proper wiring kit. I would recommend 90/100w. There are many models in Philips that provide better visibility than stock bulbs.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:22   #6449
BANNED

Let me say that any bulbs with a wattage about 60/55 are illegal. Also, the high wattages are sure to damage the reflector with time.

I will say first try the Night Breaker (Osram) or Xtreme Vision (Philips) which are still 60/55W but with a significantly improved light output.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:58   #6450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me say that any bulbs with a wattage about 60/55 are illegal. Also, the high wattages are sure to damage the reflector with time.
Why? I think this is the stock config provided by the manufacturer right?

Maybe you meant any bulbs with a wattage above 60/55 are illegal?

Most Viewed