Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 10:25   #6451
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Why? I think this is the stock config provided by the manufacturer right?

Maybe you meant any bulbs with a wattage above 60/55 are illegal?
These newer Higher output bulbs are costlier and relatively new. Hence this are not (yet!) standard. To get more light from a halogen you have to raise the filament temperature. This will severely reduce the life. So what is done is use a different gas mix (based on Xenon) which gives a higher (and whiter) output.

As long as the wattage is the same you can have a halogen with a higher output. As Philips write on their site - th3se are legal in every country.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th October 2012 at 10:26.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:15   #6452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
To get more light from a halogen you have to raise the filament temperature. This will severely reduce the life. So what is done is use a different gas mix (based on Xenon) which gives a higher (and whiter) output.
I concur - my personal experience with H4 Philips Extreme Power +80% bulbs: They conked (one after the other) between 14 to 18 months of usage.

Comparatively, OEM bulbs routinely last 5 years +

Also, while the light output of these new bulbs is definitely greater, driving in rains is actually more difficult as the light is 'whiter'. This is purely my take.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:07   #6453
BANNED

itwasntme; I am not too surprised. In fog / rain I will prefer the French standard yellows (2700K) or at most 3000K. This is why I have said that if you must go HID replace the fogs with 2700K HIDs. I guess these will also have a show off factor so beloved of many of our friends.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:19   #6454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextaurus View Post
Someone suggested the Hella H4 120/110W. If I go in for this, will I need to add a relay, holders and/or change my wiring harness? Or will the stock holders and harness of the SX4 hold up?
Thanks in advance.
Change the bulbs to 100/90 with a wiring harness. I installed it myself more than a year back in my SX4. The installation is straightforward and does not take much time. The reflectors are not harmed much. An SA told me so as the headlights have an inner shield to cut down the heat. Also the size of the headlights is such that the lens is quite far away from the bulb.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:59   #6455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
An SA told me so as the headlights have an inner shield to cut down the heat. Also the size of the headlights is such that the lens is quite far away from the bulb.
Headlights do come with an inner plastic coating to protect it from the heat but over a period of time this might slowly disintegrate (breaks into small crystals). Not telling that this will happens always but have personally seen in few cars. But as you said, it will be safe for few years atleast. Excessive usage might result in such problems.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:02   #6456
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not speaking about a coating. Some cars have a shield just in front of where the bulb sits and some cars do not have this. This absorbds most of the heat and hence, damage is less, if not absent.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:23   #6457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am not speaking about a coating. Some cars have a shield just in front of where the bulb sits and some cars do not have this. This absorbds most of the heat and hence, damage is less, if not absent.
Got your point. Yes, that will definitely help. I was talking about the coating which falls off in the long run.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:48   #6458
Distinguished - BHPian

A neighbour of mine has upgraded to 100/90s on his Ritz, and I had accidentally touched his headlights (just after he had parked).

Man, they were HOT! I actually got a mild burn on my palm. This is after an 1 hour city commute with 100% headlight usage and in peak Bangalore 'summer'.

In my opinion, reflector damage is also significantly dependent on the usage patterns. City commutes (bumper to bumper) will probably accelerate degeneration of the housing and the reflectors. Highway drives with the cooling effect of air will be a pretty big factor.

@sgiitk: sorry for a silly question but can we buy 3000k and below H4s in India? Understand that OEM bulbs are around 4,300k.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:08   #6459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Man, they were HOT! I actually got a mild burn on my palm. This is after an 1 hour city commute with 100% headlight usage and in peak Bangalore 'summer'.

In my opinion, reflector damage is also significantly dependent on the usage patterns. City commutes (bumper to bumper) will probably accelerate degeneration of the housing and the reflectors. Highway drives with the cooling effect of air will be a pretty big factor.
This is true. My friend managed to fry his headlight assembly in Blore under similar circumstances. I managed to see the headlight and it was smoked. This is when I decided to move to HIDs since the heat output is really low.
Old 19th October 2012, 18:39   #6460
BHPian

I have changed from stock to 100/110w hella's (with relay and harness) for our Ertiga. Though spread/beam has improved, not happy with overall result.

I was reading on T-Bhp about NeoLite, please let me know if there is any specific NeoLite models for Ertiga, and also approx cost.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:12   #6461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Am considering Osram NB+ too. When you say the visibility was poor in rain, you do mean in comparison to 100/90 right? Was it not better than stock?
Hey..Sorry for the delay. IMO Osram NB+ is worst than stock when it rains, especially on highways. Once when I was returning from Salem to Bangalore, it was just drizzling but the visibility was very poor. I had to tag along a Swift to maintain a decent speed. After this trip I moved on to 100/90 as i used to do frequent highway trips

Regarding reliability my first set of Osram NB+ went off within a week, however since I got it from MASS, they replaced it free of cost.

If you take rain out of the equation then yes the visibility of Osram NB+ is far better than the stock.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:00   #6462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
I have changed from stock to 100/110w hella's (with relay and harness) for our Ertiga. Though spread/beam has improved, not happy with overall result.

I was reading on T-Bhp about NeoLite, please let me know if there is any specific NeoLite models for Ertiga, and also approx cost.
Please consider focussing the lights first. Many a times focussing the HL properly will make a huge difference with stock lights itself. It is a simple DIY to focus your beams the way you want it to be. Just need a screwdriver and a fairly empty and a dark stretch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
A neighbour of mine has upgraded to 100/90s on his Ritz, and I had accidentally touched his headlights (just after he had parked).

Yes sir! I suppose the ritz does not have a metal shield for the headlight assembly. Same in my WagonR too. The headlamp lens heats up like anything. Hence, I opted out of 100/90s. How I wish there was a shield in it. On the other hand, my SX4s lamps are just 'Warm' even after a long run in the traffic of Bangalore. So is the condition of the lens. It still looks brand new compared to many cars with smoked effect or a hazy lens right along the region of the low beam spread.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th October 2012 at 20:08.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:40   #6463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
IMO Osram NB+ is worst than stock when it rains, especially on highways.
Comletely agree with you. I also have the same opinion on NB+. Under rains the visibility is pathetic and worse than the stock. I think 100/90 would be the best solution if we do more highway driving. My car still has NB+. Thinking about trying out Philips Xtreme Vision.
Old 19th October 2012, 23:05   #6464
BHPian

Thanks audioholic, the focus/spread is fine. Looks like the Ertiga needs better lights (reflectors) . Hence the need to look at alternate sources of light.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:55   #6465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Thinking about trying out Philips Xtreme Vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
IMO Osram NB+ is worst than stock when it rains, especially on highways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Osram NB+ is great within the city in low beam. The intensity is much better than with stock bulbs.
Thank you all sharing your experiences.

I installed Philips Xtreme vision 60/55W two days back. Did some 150km of highway using them including around 20km in heavy downpour.

Review : Philips Xtreme vision 60/55W

1. Visibility during night - Hugely improved visibility. Was able to maintain decent speeds.

Got respect from on coming traffic when i flashed my lights. Instant dimming of hi beams !

2. During heavy rain - Performs similar to stock. Not much improvement. Must be due to the whiter light emitted.

Would I recommend it?

Absolutely yes!

In fact I dont think anymore light is needed for night driving provided no rains. Best thing is that I hardly spent 10 mins at the spare parts shop.

I did mine mine from vee vee auto spares, palarivattom near lamiya silks. Went at 730pm when they were almost closing yet got very nice treatment, smiling faces and friendly chats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks