Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:47   #6676
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivia View Post
I have used aliexpress got projector lights for my cruze from them only .. kindly crosscheck the shipping mode.. I got mine through EMS and it took 27 days for delivery , Delhi customs took whopping 13days to clear the product .. also check the custom duty involved . I paid Rs2.2K as custom duty on my product at local postoffice .
Thanks for your reply! First and foremost, your headlamps look neat!!!

Yes, the USD32 is the cost of EMS shipping and the seller has said it will take 25 days(and I am prepared for it )

The cost of the product itself if usd 50, so i think the duty would also be less. Do you mind sharing the cost of your headlamps?

OT: Didnt your aliexpress seller ask you to order in bulk?
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:52   #6677
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Thanks for your reply! First and foremost, your headlamps look neat!!!

Yes, the USD32 is the cost of EMS shipping and the seller has said it will take 25 days(and I am prepared for it )

The cost of the product itself if usd 50, so i think the duty would also be less. Do you mind sharing the cost of your headlamps?

OT: Didnt your aliexpress seller ask you to order in bulk?
Cost i paid for this product - $550 (Free shipping) and aliexpress guys were aware about the custom duty so the invoice they submitted was for $120 because of which i paid less custom duty.

As the cost was on higher side they did not ask for bulk order
Sivia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:36   #6678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Has anyone tried adding an additional single filament bulb by drilling the stock reflector along with a relay ?
The reflector is a scientifically designed object. It ensures that the bulb is located at the focal point of any reflector. Each individual plane of the reflector is aimed at throwing the light to a specific point on the road, after receiving light from the bulb. If the stock bulb shifts position even by a small amount, you will find that the output is compromised. If you drill into the reflector,
  • Your new bulb will no longer be at the focal point
  • Light from the secondary bulb will be scattered without control
  • even the stock throw will be affected.
Moral is to not mess with the reflector!
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:47   #6679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Has anyone tried adding an additional single filament bulb by drilling the stock reflector along with a relay ?
You'll simply mess up your headlamp. I've seen some local auto rikshaw guys doing this. Its not even problematic for themselves but for others on the road also. Safety first
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:11   #6680
BHPian

I’m driving in the night and the light output in the Wagon_R Duo even after upgrading to 100w/90w from 60w/50w is not enough for me (personal perspective) (with proper relays and cutoff). Costed me around 1500 bucks
No need to say about the Access 125 output its total nonsense. (35w/35w Alternator feed). Now going for a Philips Bluevision Moto HS1 connector type (dont know whether it is a upgrade or downgrade :P)

Can you folks guide me towards any off -road LED kit
LED off road kit for Car (Typical rating 12v/ 60w/3000 Lumens above/ water proof/ Harness/Relay/Cutoff)
LED Auxillary LED off road kit for bike also (12v/20w-30w/ 3000 Lumens/water proof)

Why LED not Halogen?
It will consume less current, so battery will not be drained much.
Longer life time

Something liek this in India that didnt cost a fortune to own it
http://www.hidled.com/categories/LED-Work-Light

Please let me know if there any dealers or retailers in Chennai or anywhere who will ship.

Note from Mod - please do not cut/paste formatted text - it results in junk characters

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd December 2012 at 14:00. Reason: please do not cut/paste formatted text - it results in junk characters
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:44   #6681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Is this for the new verna or old? would love to see the DIY guide and set myself on light upgrades!
The new one. I don't know when I'll be able to put up the DIY post though. Hopefully over the weekend. But I can assure you, its a simple process.

Do you know how to change the normal bulbs? That's the only difficult part. Especially with the crowded engine bay. If you can get to the bulbs, the rest is very easy. Remember to get the Silicon sealant since you will have to cut the dust cover to accomodate the thicker cables. This is something most people skip (Especially the shops) And that's exactly why they end up with fogged up lamps.

I've had the upgrade for well over a year and have never had any signs of fogging even after driving through several rains.
Tassem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:51   #6682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
The new one. I don't know when I'll be able to put up the DIY post though. Hopefully over the weekend. But I can assure you, its a simple process.

Do you know how to change the normal bulbs? That's the only difficult part. Especially with the crowded engine bay. If you can get to the bulbs, the rest is very easy. Remember to get the Silicon sealant since you will have to cut the dust cover to accomodate the thicker cables. This is something most people skip (Especially the shops) And that's exactly why they end up with fogged up lamps.

I've had the upgrade for well over a year and have never had any signs of fogging even after driving through several rains.
Very cool! You make it sound so easy, 50% of me is already considering doing it. How much does the root-shoot cost?
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:57   #6683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Very cool! You make it sound so easy, 50% of me is already considering doing it. How much does the root-shoot cost?
It is easy Convince the other 50% and enjoy your night drives more!

Costs around 1k for the whole shebang. This includes the Bulbs, Harness, Cable Ties and Silicon Sealant.

I used some cycle tyre tube to cover the relay as well. This will protect it from water sprays if the service guys get creative while washing the car.

I'll put up a pic of my engine bay over the weekend. Looks absolutely stock.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:51   #6684
Senior - BHPian

I know this post is not in response to anyone in particular, but after seeing so many queries about blueish headlamps I cannot help but type this.

I don't recall any law in India which makes bluish light illegal, and yellowish light legal.
But frankly from safety point of view blue lights should be banned.
The reason is simple.

Our eyes use cone cells during day time which have sensitivity peak at about 555 nm (which is the familiar yellow light - incidentally matches spectrum of the sunlight).
This is the color that our eyes love to see in. (and hence doesn't require a hydrogen bomb sized light source to illuminate the objects)

Now lets move over to something more interesting. At night, with dim lighting, our eyes rely on rod cells which have sensitivity peak at 507 nm (blue-green=cyan light).

When we use a flashlight or car headlight, we are essentially trying to use our cone cells and NOT the rod cells of our eyes. That's why we illuminate objects. That's why we can make out colors. Headlights and flashlights spectrum should be peaking at 555 nm. Yellow light.

So we have a yellow light on our eyes, our cone cells deplete, we become blind, BUT when this source of light passes away, in the darkness our rod cells take over, and since they are not depleted - they can still provide imagery.

Now consider the scenario of cyan/blue light. When blue light falls on your eyes, the rod cells get depleted and become "blind". When this blue light passes away, your eyes are left staring at the pitch black darkness, rod cells are depleted, and you are as blind as a bat.
Yes, the cone cells are still there - but remember the cone cells require high level of illumination, and cannot generate signals with low lighting.

In order to understand this do one test:
In complete darkness at night, switch on a red color light source. After switching off the red light, you will find that you can still see in darkness. This is because our rod cells are comparatively insensitive to yellow orange red frequencies.

Do the same with cyan light (color similar to "Indiglo"). You will be left groping in the dark after the lamp is switched off.

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th December 2012 at 11:53.
alpha1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:06   #6685
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded my Tata Safari's headlamp to 100/130 but I am not happy with the outcome specially of low beam. Spread was not very satisfactory. I was more than happy with my stint with Philips Extreme Vision, but due to its low life, I opted for this change. I already changed 2 sets of Philips Extreme Vision and third set completed its half life.

When I changed my 800 light to 90/100, I was very happy with illumination. I had same expectation but it did not happen, even I opted for higher wattage than earlier. High beam is good. Also, I did proper alignment of headlamp as per Safari manual. This was done as DIY project as in Safari it is little difficult to do due to small intricacies involved.

I bought complete kit from BOSCH service center for Rs. 1250, little pricey. Each bulb costed me Rs. 250.

Is there duplicate Philips bulbs on prowl?
Old 10th December 2012, 14:43   #6686
BHPian

Like many other Sx4 owners i too am miffed with the quality of OEM headlamps provided by MSIL in this otherwise pretty good product.

Having gone through many posts on this thread i could come to conclude that Philips Rally 100/90 is a pretty good option for the Sx4. 95% of my drives are within the city, but unfortunately only half of the roads i usually travel have good illumination at night time. Would be glad if the Lighting experts can point out some good and competent options (along with indicative pricing) for the Sx4 headlights. Also, would changing the lamps / headlights cause my warranty to voided ?? I ask this since i have bought the vehicle just 3 months ago and bargained for the extended warranty as a goodie, don't really want to void it within the 1st year itself .

Also, i feel the OEM fog lamps in the Sx4 wont really be worth the salt in extreme fog conditions which i may witness in the coming weeks here in Delhi, would projector lights be any good in foggy conditions ?? Any other projector light options ??
Old 10th December 2012, 14:49   #6687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
... I was more than happy with my stint with Philips Extreme Vision, but due to its low life, I opted for this change. I already changed 2 sets of Philips Extreme Vision and third set completed its half life. ..
This is not normal...the Xtreme Vision bulbs definitely last long...are you sure they are original Philips bulbs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
... Is there duplicate Philips bulbs on prowl?
Of course, yes !
Old 10th December 2012, 15:04   #6688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Having gone through many posts on this thread i could come to conclude that Philips Rally 100/90 is a pretty good option for the Sx4. 95% of my drives are within the city, but unfortunately only half of the roads i usually travel have good illumination at night time. Would be glad if the Lighting experts can point out some good and competent options (along with indicative pricing) for the Sx4 headlights. Also, would changing the lamps / headlights cause my warranty to voided ?? I ask this since i have bought the vehicle just 3 months ago and bargained for the extended warranty as a goodie, don't really want to void it within the 1st year itself .
For now, you can just swap the lamps with a replacement lamp of the same wattage, like nightbreaker or xtremepower. Simple swap, hassle. This would be adequate enough for driving within city limits. Ypu can also upgrade the wattage. The setup can be rolled back to stock within fifteen minutes max and there is no permanent damage done to the wiring. The harness and relay can be removed and old bulb put back without trouble. Also, if you have a friendly rapport with the SA, you can leave the harness like that even while giving it for service. I switched to 100/90 during the last days of the default warranty. Couldnt bear any longer. The folks in the service center did not have any issues with the upgrade. They themselves suggested that I go for 100/90. I did have two more years of extended warranty, that ends this january.
Old 10th December 2012, 15:04   #6689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Like many other Sx4 owners i too am miffed with the quality of OEM headlamps provided by MSIL in this otherwise pretty good product.

Also, i feel the OEM fog lamps in the Sx4 wont really be worth the salt in extreme fog conditions which i may witness in the coming weeks here in Delhi, would projector lights be any good in foggy conditions ?? Any other projector light options ??
Almost all the cars from Maruti have this problem. Upgrading to better brands/higher wattage would be the best choice here. 100/90 is the obvious choice. If you dont cut the stock wiring, your warranty will be safe (I have tried all sorts of lighting on my Swift) and enjoyed two years of trouble free warranty period. for 100/90 upgrades, you will need to have relays, ceramic holders and proper wiring. I think some MASS provides these upgrades while others dont recommend this.

Projectors will be expensive and if you need to stick to 3000k HID's to get the best output during fogs (3000k HID's are very hard to find in India). Another option would be auxiliary lights which many wont opt since it makes the car look bulky. Try better brand and source 3000k halogens for the fogs. This should make things better.
Old 10th December 2012, 15:07   #6690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This is not normal...the Xtreme Vision bulbs definitely last long...are you sure they are original Philips bulbs ?
Actually it has life around 1 year. It has been mentioned at many places in forum. Yes, Philips Extreme Visions are original bulbs as it was purchased from listed Philips dealer in Bangalore.

But, I purchased my 100/130 bulbs from BOSCH service center and I am not happy with its performance.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks