Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 16:24   #6931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post

Can you please post a pic with Just the Aux lamp, in my opinion its not legal to use HID's in reflectors plus its blinding for the oncoming traffic, making the driving lights point down will kill the entire purpose of the driving lights and pointing them up is a recipe for disaster.
Adi,
These are not driving lights but Aux lamps and are not meant for road use. I usually cover them with caps and only open it whenever going outside city limits. Ofcourse, their usage is limited to on need basis and never on busy roads. If used on road with oncoming traffic, yes it would cause inconvenience for other drivers and certainly not safe.

For driving, I have upgraded my Scorpio stock headlights to 90/100 and it serves the purpose.

I see almost 8 out of 10 vehicles using high beam all the time within and outside city limits. This includes vehicles from bikes to BEST buses. Also we encounter bad drivers putting their own and other road users lives in danger. We all know how much inconvenience it causes.

Using low beam, using indicators while taking turn, parking at public places or safe driving are some of the many simple things which are legally defined and we can follow but unfortunately are rare to be seen.

Following the law is important and I feel that moral responsibility is equally or more important.

I shared this light modification on this forum just to let everyone know of the possibility. I do not recommend to use them as regular lights.

Last edited by amk_2009 : 10th February 2013 at 16:38.
amk_2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 17:09   #6932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post

Here you go -

Aux lamps are cheap ones available for Rs.450/piece. HID Kit Rs.2750.
Where did you get the Hid kit from.? Can you please post some details?
Old 11th February 2013, 16:11   #6933
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I hope this is the right thread for 2 wheeler lighting too. Yesterday only, I have put in Osram 12 Volts halogen onto my dio. Would it have any adverse effect on battery?
Old 11th February 2013, 16:31   #6934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I hope this is the right thread for 2 wheeler lighting too. Yesterday only, I have put in Osram 12 Volts halogen onto my dio. Would it have any adverse effect on battery?
If the bulbs are OR wattage then you should have no issues. If they are higher wattage, then you battery life may decrease a bit.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:19   #6935
Senior - BHPian

I'm really beginning to feel blind driving around in unlit chennai roads. My question is, should I just upgrade to 100/90, or buy a pair of hella 500FF's ? Normally I would have just tried the bulb upgrade first, and switched to the hella's if that werent enough, but I would rather not mess around with my stock wiring - no , not even strip any insulation.

Can people who have both 100/90W or aux lights especially in indica's comment ?
Old 11th February 2013, 17:27   #6936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the stock wattage is 35W in your case and if you do not exceed the ratings there should not be any adverse effects on the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm really beginning to feel blind driving around in unlit chennai roads. My question is, should I just upgrade to 100/90, or buy a pair of hella 500FF's ? Normally I would have just tried the bulb upgrade first, and switched to the hella's if that werent enough, but I would rather not mess around with my stock wiring - no , not even strip any insulation.

Can people who have both 100/90W or aux lights especially in indica's comment ?
I would suggest first you try the 100/90 with a wiring harness, relay (reliable one) and ceramic holders. There should not be any cutting of wire etc. It is plug and play and reversible at a later date. I think it would be sufficient for your Indica.

Mods sorry for the back to back posting, but I missed the post of Greenhorn while submitting the first post.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2013 at 23:28. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote option when replying to multiple posts in the same thread.
Old 11th February 2013, 21:44   #6937
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

If the bulbs are OR wattage then you should have no issues. If they are higher wattage, then you battery life may decrease a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

I believe the stock wattage is 35W in your case and if you do not exceed the ratings there should not be any adverse effects on the battery.
There's no effect or strain on the battery as Honda lighting system is on AC. As long as you are not tinkering with the DC circuit there's absolutely no issues. Am using a Philips 60/55W halogen on my 10 year old standby Activa with re winded stator coil and its glowing like a plasma tube now.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2013 at 23:15. Reason: merging consecutive posts.
Old 11th February 2013, 22:41   #6938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
There's no effect or strain on the battery as Honda lighting system is on AC. As long as you are not tinkering with the DC circuit there's absolutely no issues. Am using a Philips 60/55W halogen on my 10 year old standby Activa with re winded stator coil and its glowing like a plasma tube now.
Thank you, I have put in the 12 Volts Osram halogen and suddenly the road looks so bright at night. why is it that halogen's are so powerful as compared to normal bulbs? Also, why can't Honda or other companies provide this as a standard feature?
Old 12th February 2013, 18:44   #6939
BHPian

I was just going through Osram Night Breaker specification and came across a very surprising stuff, the life of the lamp as stated is only 260 hrs while that of normal h4 bulb is more than 800 hrs. I'm confused, Am I missing something?
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 19:28   #6940
Senior - BHPian

No you are not. They pull the maximum out of that bulb to get the maximum light out of it so yes life is a bit short.
Old 13th February 2013, 00:50   #6941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I have put in the 12 Volts Osram halogen and suddenly the road looks so bright at night. why is it that halogen's are so powerful as compared to normal bulbs? Also, why can't Honda or other companies provide this as a standard feature?
Cost & life! The Halogens cost 3-4 times the normal ones & also have a reduced life. While getting this stock is fine (initial cost goes up too), people would start thinking that the spares are expensive, don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I was just going through Osram Night Breaker specification and came across a very surprising stuff, the life of the lamp as stated is only 260 hrs while that of normal h4 bulb is more than 800 hrs. I'm confused, Am I missing something?
Not at all, the life is lesser than the normal bulbs.
Old 13th February 2013, 10:17   #6942
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Not at all surprising. These bulbs run hotter to give the higher output, albeit with a different gas mixture. All the sales talk notwithstanding, one should expect a shorter life.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:23   #6943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Cost & life! The Halogens cost 3-4 times the normal ones & also have a reduced life. While getting this stock is fine (initial cost goes up too), people would start thinking that the spares are expensive, don't they?

How expensive @ 75 rs? If Honda can sell everything at a premium, it should also give Halogens as standard fitment. Yes, it would have a shorter life span, but it gives better illumination too; by giving headlights that do not have great spread, they are risking the lives of innocent commuters and pedestrians on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not at all surprising. These bulbs run hotter to give the higher output, albeit with a different gas mixture. All the sales talk notwithstanding, one should expect a shorter life.
Thanks! I am happy with the new set up and will ensure that I keep a tab on hours!
Old 16th February 2013, 00:15   #6944
BHPian

Hi,

I am planing to replace 100/90 (with Hella wiring kit) in wagon r with 130/100, has someone used this setup and faced any issues such as burned/blackened reflector since headlight material is plastic in Wagon R.

Which brand would you recommend for 130/100 based on your past experience.

Regards.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:24   #6945
BHPian

antardaksh> see if you can get Flosser 130/100 bulbs. I found these are excellent after trying few. I used 130/100 in my Swift for more than a year w/o any issues. Use high-beam judiciously. I know a guy who's using 130/100 in Wagon-R here in B'lore for last 2years. every thing is perfect. He's using roots wiring kit & Interface relay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks