Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 12:34   #7246
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello BHPians,
I need a little help. I'm looking to upgrade the stock headlamp of my new Ritz.

The problem is that low beam falls too close to the car and I spot the potholes and car-breakers too late when driving above 40kmph. This is after the headlamp levelling adjustment is set as far as it would go.

My requirement is this:
1. I always use low beam. High beam is only for signalling. So I need the low beam to go some distance.
2. Legal wattage. I don't want to blind incoming vehicles.
3. I'm only changing bulbs. No projectors, so I guess HID bulbs are a bad idea. I don't really care what colour the light is. Illumination is all that matters.

Can you guys please suggest some good options and their expected market rates?

Thanks a lot.
Old 28th May 2013, 12:58   #7247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
Hello BHPians,
I need a little help. I'm looking to upgrade the stock headlamp of my new Ritz.

The problem is that low beam falls too close to the car and I spot the potholes and car-breakers too late when driving above 40kmph. This is after the headlamp levelling adjustment is set as far as it would go.
Since we are going to have strict actions taken against illegal/bright lights, the best bet would be to go for the same wattage but different brand. Philips will be a good option and will provide better visibility. A marginal improvement over the stock headlights can be expected.
HID's without projectors - A big NO!

Also I suggest you to check the beam alignment to make sure that the holder isnt misaligned. Many aftermarket kits have this problem. They tend to get misaligned after driving through bad roads.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:06   #7248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Since we are going to have strict actions taken against illegal/bright lights, the best bet would be to go for the same wattage but different brand. Philips will be a good option and will provide better visibility. A marginal improvement over the stock headlights can be expected.
Thanks Naveen. Any further suggestions as to which model would be better suited? It appears Phillips has multiple models in the market.

What's your take on Osram models (Night breaker etc.), especially the low beam?
Old 28th May 2013, 13:11   #7249
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen. Any further suggestions as to which model would be better suited? It appears Phillips has multiple models in the market.

The Night Breaker is any day better than the Philips Series(Rally and Vision).
Though they are good enough if you drive less at night, for greater use at night you will have to upgrade to a set of good projectors.
Buy a set of NB's +Ceramic Holders+Relay as of now and see if it is satisfying enough.!
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:19   #7250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Am not sure which particular model in Philips is the best since there are mixed reviews on all. I suggest you to check this thread and see which is the most preferred. Osram NB is good and many have recently gone for that after getting positive reviews here. I had used Osram Cool Blue(100/90w) few years back. It was far better than Swift OE lights but you will get better models now. I would suggest you to check out NB and Philips extreme.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:34   #7251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
The Night Breaker is any day better than the Philips Series(Rally and Vision).
Though they are good enough if you drive less at night, for greater use at night you will have to upgrade to a set of good projectors.
Buy a set of NB's +Ceramic Holders+Relay as of now and see if it is satisfying enough.!
Thanks devilwearsprada. Night drives aren't regular, but tend to be 5 hours+ when they happen.

But when you say NB's + ceramic holders + relay, is this bulb one of those higher wattage ones? I can safely fit 55/60W bulbs without any additional components, right?

And since you mentioned projectors, is Osram NB halogen or HID type?
Old 28th May 2013, 13:42   #7252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But when you say NB's + ceramic holders + relay, is this bulb one of those higher wattage ones? I can safely fit 55/60W bulbs without any additional components, right?

If you sticking to stock wattage, you dont need to upgrade the kit (holders/relays/wiring). Osram NB is halogen type.
Old 28th May 2013, 13:45   #7253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Think focussing is bad. First get that sorted by aligning the lamps correctly before making changes to the setup.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2013 at 10:42. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 14:11   #7254
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks devilwearsprada. Night drives aren't regular, but tend to be 5 hours+ when they happen.

Yea, You don't, btw Naveen , is it better to have projectors in Fogs or only HID's?
Old 28th May 2013, 15:29   #7255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yea, You don't, btw Naveen , is it better to have projectors in Fogs or only HID's?
Fogs have a limited use and limited reach on the road.

Moreover projectors mean big investment, so to say. Why would you like to invest so much for the fog lights. If you intend to have projectors it should be for the headlight.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:14   #7256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sommos answered your doubts. Projectors are meant for headlights. You can indeed add projectors for fogs but it's a big investment. Also there's a limitation for fogs and they provide a short range. HID's are to be used with projectors. Using it in normal reflectors will scatter the light and blind oncoming traffic. Normal halogens bulbs are recommended for fogs. Nowadays, LED type fogs are available but dont think it's effective since these are merely for looks.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:27   #7257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade the stock headlamp of my new Ritz.

My requirement is this:
1. I always use low beam. High beam is only for signalling. So I need the low beam to go some distance.
2. Legal wattage. I don't want to blind incoming vehicles.
3. I'm only changing bulbs. No projectors, so I guess HID bulbs are a bad idea. I don't really care what colour the light is. Illumination is all that matters.

Can you guys please suggest some good options and their expected market rates?
I switched to Osram Nightbreaker Plus in my Ritz and i am completely satisfied with them.

Here is a detailed review on the bulbs from my ownership thread.

Quote:
If you sticking to stock wattage, you dont need to upgrade the kit (holders/relays/wiring). Osram NB is halogen type.
If you are going in for the Osram Nightbreaker Plus or Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs in stock rating, then you can just swap the bulbs without adding a relay or changing the holders.

Osram NB's are slightly whiter than the Xtreme Vision bulbs.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 16:35   #7258
BHPian

I plan to change the stock headlights of my Honda Civic. The ones that came with my car are so weak that even my Bajaj Pulsar bike has a better illumination and light throwing range as compared to my Civic.
Also one of the headlamps looks 'less clear' than the other one.

What are my options here? Would upgrading the bulbs (both low and high beams) give me a substantial improvement? If yes, then what bulb is recommended.
HID vs Projector? I want my car to be road legal at all times but have the best possible illumination without messing with the electrical system of the car
Old 28th May 2013, 16:46   #7259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I switched to Osram Nightbreaker Plus in my Ritz and i am completely satisfied with them.

If you are going in for the Osram Nightbreaker Plus or Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs in stock rating, then you can just swap the bulbs without adding a relay or changing the holders.

Osram NB's are slightly whiter than the Xtreme Vision bulbs.
It should be suffcient for most of the people even for a highway drive. Also it is a simple plug-in affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
I plan to change the stock headlights of my Honda Civic. The ones that came with my car are so weak that even my Bajaj Pulsar bike has a better illumination and light throwing range as compared to my Civic.
Also one of the headlamps looks 'less clear' than the other one.

What are my options here? Would upgrading the bulbs (both low and high beams) give me a substantial improvement? If yes, then what bulb is recommended.
HID vs Projector? I want my car to be road legal at all times but have the best possible illumination without messing with the electrical system of the car
Best possible illumination : Projector + HID for the near and Osram NB+ for the far.
Without messing with the electrical : Osram NB+ or Philips XV for both.

Last edited by Sommos : 28th May 2013 at 16:53.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 17:13   #7260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Think focussing is bad. First get that sorted by aligning the lamps correctly before making changes to the setup.
Thanks Audioholic. I do not understand 'focussing'. Is it something you can get looked at by the A. S. S. ? Does it change the reach of the beam?
If I can get the low beam to go further without changing the bulbs, that's pretty much all I need.

Quote:
I would suggest you to check out NB and Philips extreme.
Do you know any places in Cochin selling these?

Last edited by SlowRider : 28th May 2013 at 17:19. Reason: Merging two continuous posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks