Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:49   #7441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
There are two (rather three) common situations where I face this problem.

@audioholic, I want to keep the option of further upgrading my headlights as the absolute last resort. First, the car is still under warranty, and second, I really don't think I should contribute to the problem in order to find a solution.
Quote:
I would actually discourage people from 'blindly' going for 100/90s, and blinding the oncoming traffic. A couple of morons in my office neighbourhood have these bulbs fit into their bike headlamps, and since the bike's headlamp turns along with the handle, when they focus onto you, you go totally blind: I actually just stop and close my eyes and curse the hell out of the oncoming moron.

Please, for the sake of safety, stop using these types of bulbs. It's not only illegal, it actually hurts the other drivers.
Quote:
The very idea of using the 100/90 bulbs is illegal, don't you see? And with most drivers not being able to tell if their low beams are on or their high beams, I don't see the logic behind using or justifying such blindingly powerful lights on roads.

When you say high beams are going to be a pain irrespective of the wattage, maybe you haven't stared into the 100/90 high/low beams enough.

You may be capable or mature behind the wheel. However it still doesn't justify doing something illegal.
Does upgradation mean switching to 100/90 watt bulbs, are you really serious.
The Nano has a very powerful headlight, I think you may check the alignment of the lamp.
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:33   #7442
Senior - BHPian

Yep, am not inclined towards switching to 100/90. Am going to look at the adjustment screws and see if I can adjust it myself, and if not, get it done from the TaMo.

The Nano does have powerful headlights, however of late I am experiencing more and more blindings from the oncoming traffic. Dunno if it's really something to do with all people upgrading to 100/90 or higher bulbs.

With monsoons the visibility anyways drops a lot, and the potholes on the roads are making things worse. The need for very clear visibility for at least the next 100m is felt very very badly.
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:50   #7443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
of late I am experiencing more and more blindings from the oncoming traffic.
You have to adjust your technique - Look at a dark part of the road and resist the urge to look at bright headlights whenever they appear. Do try it out in earnest, it worked wonders for me!

The moment you look at bright headlights and back on the road immediately, you will be temporarily blinded while your eyes adjust again to the darkness. Hence avoid looking at bright spots in the first place.
Old 23rd July 2013, 22:42   #7444
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sunny for the tip. I am sure I avoid looking at the headlights and with the blinding lights in front and in the rear, it's hard not to get pricked in the eyes, but I shall try this technique.
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:05   #7445
BHPian

I really don't understand why people are so senseless and inconsiderate towards other fellow drivers and use the high beam even in city limits.
Yes, visibility is a problem at times, but as far my opinion goes- it is just a myth that putting 100/90w improves the visibility and people go for it blindly. It indeed does improve at high beams ( inconvenience to fellow drivers ), bit with adjusting the angle of the lights/reflectors- you can get a decent enough light throw.
On a lighter note, each one of us would've definitely wanted to do this sometime:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20130403wa0010.jpg

kash_pegasus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 10:50   #7446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Can this happen if my driving at night will be max an hour and half??
I am not worried about warranty.

Appreciate any help.
Wouldnt suggest this on a Figo.

Reason 1: The headlamp assy. is too narrow and small, which will not dissipate heat well. Moreover, given the size of the lamps, I feel that the problem of bad light is much related to reflectors than the bulbs. As we observe, the new Figo has bigger reflectors, which was probably the solution that ford provided reg. the bad headlight issue.

Reason 2: IIRC, the Ford Ikon came with plastic dust caps behind the headlights with a dedicated connector for the headlight assembly. If the same is present on the Figo, the wiring harness cannot be added without making permanent changes on the HL assembly, which needs to be done with good workmanship. Else you will end up with dust and moisture inside the HL assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash_pegasus View Post
it is just a myth that putting 100/90w improves the visibility and people go for it blindly. It indeed does improve at high beams ( inconvenience to fellow drivers ), bit with adjusting the angle of the lights/reflectors-
I disagree. So will anyone with upgraded headlamps. It is true that bad focus will not help even if we upgrade bulbs but that is only in some cases. If headlamps are properly focussed from factory the throw will be okay. What suffers is the intensity of throw. The low beam improves in this regard, and I have felt that now low beams are adequate for driving.

Quote:
On a lighter note, each one of us would've definitely wanted to do this sometime:

That is what my high beams are present for. And that is one of the reasons I went in for the upgrade.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 12:10   #7447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I am thinking of fitting 90/100 watt bulbs with full relay and holder kit in my 2 n half year old figo. The current setup is poor during the rains.... i know that fitting these bulbs generate heat, have the same setup in my honda city... but i read that putting these high wattage bulbs can melt that small reflective plastic covering that is placed close to the bulb inside the lamp( not present in the honda city). Can this happen if my driving at night will be max an hour and half??
I am not worried about warranty.

Appreciate any help.
I'm not too sure about the melting but would certainly not advise the same for the Figo. It is well known that the reflectors of the old Figo were a problem and also you won't be able to upgrade the new headlight assembly in your old car.

In your case the best alternative would be to upgrade to Projector lamps, if you are willing to bear the cost.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 12:28   #7448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

I'm not too sure about the melting but would certainly not advise the same for the Figo. It is well known that the reflectors of the old Figo were a problem and also you won't be able to upgrade the new headlight assembly in your old car.

In your case the best alternative would be to upgrade to Projector lamps, if you are willing to bear the cost.
I have seen quite a few people here, who owns the older one Figo, reported improvement in light throw, when they upgraded the bulbs.

I'll suggest if possible get the night breakers plus before one venture out to 100/90 setup, which definitely will enhance the throw but will void the warranty.

And people who are upgrading, don't expect a huge improvement, as the main culprit is the reflectors of the car. But yes, the marginal improvement will be there, if you upgrade.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 19:34   #7449
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Let me get to my queries straight away:

*Vehicle : Silver XUV W6
*Requirement : A pair of HELLA Lamps
*Options I have researched: Hella 3000 Clear/Blue, Hella 3003 Clear/Blue.
* Also need a model for which I can get a Protector guard (mess type), which will look awesome.

Queries:
1. Difference between Clear Sheild and Blue Shield And which is more effective for highway and hill driving.

2. 3000 or 3003 ?

3. Best place in Bangalore city to buy them and get them fitted.

4. Which would look best on Silver XUV.

Kindy revert back quickly. Have to get this done before weekend

Regards
Pramod
Old 24th July 2013, 20:16   #7450
BHPian

Toyota Altis top end version has HID for the low beam without projectors. How does this work and what is the wattage of the same. The light throw is awesome.Travelled in a altis at night and was really impressed.
Old 24th July 2013, 20:24   #7451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Toyota Altis top end version has HID for the low beam without projectors. How does this work and what is the wattage of the same. The light throw is awesome.Travelled in a altis at night and was really impressed.
The reflectors in the Altis are designed to work with HID's. The top end GL and VL have different headlight unit than the lower G variant which doesn't have projector's.

HID's can work effectively with reflectors, provided the reflectors design is meant for HID's else it may not be as good with light scattering rather than focussed.

Altis uses 35W 4300K HID unit from Denso. Made in Japan.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 20:29   #7452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as far my opinion goes- it is just a myth that putting 100/90w improves the visibility and people go for it blindly. It indeed does improve at high beams ( inconvenience to fellow drivers ), bit with adjusting the angle of the lights/reflectors- you can get a decent enough light throw.
I have 100W Hella low beams. High beams are the stock 55W - don't intend to change them.

Ever since I've got the upgrade, I have no problems doing 110-120 all along Blore-Mysore road in the dark. I have jumped numerous speed breakers on a night journey before with the stock 55W headlamps.

I will usually switch on parking lights + fog lamps instead of low beam in traffic. I'd like to think of myself as a considerate driver
Quote:
I had a 55W spot light on my bike directly aimed at the driver of the car on the other lane. It would take probably half a second for the other guy to immediately dip his lights when I'd switch it on, post which I would turn it off However realised I'm no better than those morons when I do this. Took it off the bike after some time.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 24th July 2013 at 20:32.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 12:33   #7453
BHPian

Recently I bought an Ertiga ZXi variant.

During my recent night highway drive , I found that the Low beam of the car is useless at night.
Even Fog lamp + low beam does not work.

Though the high beam is good.

I do not want to go with 90/100 upgrade. As I had that setup in my previous car. That setup ruined my car headlight reflector due to excessive heat.

What are the upgrade options for Ertiga low beam ?

I am thinking of adding a HID kit to the Fog lamp unit. Is this a good idea?

Also I have taken 4th year extended warranty. I am worried if the HID upgradation may hamper my warranty.

BTW what is bulb specification of fog lamp for Ertiga.

Any suggestion for this issue?

Thank you
Old 25th July 2013, 12:42   #7454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
What are the upgrade options for Ertiga low beam ?

I am thinking of adding a HID kit to the Fog lamp unit. Is this a good idea?
The best option would be 100/90w upgrade. Many members are using it for years without any issues. Which was your previous car?
I would recommend HID's on fogs. It's just for the bling factor. No improvement in visibility. Fogs are meant to provide good visibility for the short range. More width(spread) rather than focused beam. If you are not planning on 100/90w, the best bet would be to upgrade to better brands like Philips or Osram of the same wattage. A small improvement can be expected. The warranty will be safe as long as you dont cut the stock wires. Nowadays, people dont do that since these kits are plug n play.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 13:30   #7455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The best option would be 100/90w upgrade. Many members are using it for years without any issues. Which was your previous car?
I would recommend HID's on fogs. It's just for the bling factor. No improvement in visibility. Fogs are meant to provide good visibility for the short range. More width(spread) rather than focused beam. If you are not planning on 100/90w, the best bet would be to upgrade to better brands like Philips or Osram of the same wattage. A small improvement can be expected. The warranty will be safe as long as you dont cut the stock wires. Nowadays, people dont do that since these kits are plug n play.
My previous car was Getz Prime.

I believe the 4300 / 4400 K rating HID will have good for fog lamp. I do not want that bling white light thing.

Yes, also need to check "Osram" night breaker for head lamp with stock wattage.

Any Idea what is the wattage of Ertiga fog lamp bulb?

Any bulb replacement suggestion for fog lamp with stock wattage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks