Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:46   #7681
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Many thanks Sridhar your above post is really very exhaustive and useful.
Driving down to Pune will not be an easy one for me as it has to specifically for this sole purpose . I have no chances of combining the visit up with some other purpose, .
However i will speak to Joy and let you know when i can plan for the same.
Thanks again
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:47   #7682
BANNED

Strictly using HiD in Hi beam without projectors is illegal. In fact it is not koshel even in low beam, but there is a grey area. It is permissible - see the Corolla Altis (some models) though I am told the reflector pattern is somewhat different.
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:05   #7683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I am a little confused now, Bixenon is basically hi-lo together so how would the connection work in a twin barrel headlamp? Besides I do agree that HID + Projectors will work well if setup for low beam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Correct me if wrong.
In a twin barrel headlamp, if you replace the low beam with bi-xenon then you basically get 2 set of high beams. One original stock high beam and one high beam from bi-xenons.

Hence it's better to put bi-xenons in place of stock high beam. Having 2 sets of low beams won't harm. But imagine a car coming in front with total 4 high beams blasting .
Dodge_Viper has summarised it beautifully. 4 Low beams will not disturb others, but 4 High Beams will be a nuisance.

And when that happens the truckers, who by and large are very considerate & dip their lights for you, will refuse to dip their high beams & all your light is overpowered.
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:49   #7684
BHPian

Question to the Laura owners - the high beam on the car is poor in terms of beam spread and is concerning while driving in the night. My car is the Ambition variant with halogen projector lamps for low beam (H7) and regular halogens for high beam (H1).

Is there a recommendation in terms of a bulb upgrade or alignment or the likes to remedy this problem?
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:49   #7685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Dodge_Viper has summarised it beautifully. 4 Low beams will not disturb others, but 4 High Beams will be a nuisance.

And when that happens the truckers, who by and large are very considerate & dip their lights for you, will refuse to dip their high beams & all your light is overpowered.
The question now is can Joy fit the projector (silver series )in Manza's high beam reflector?
When i last spoke to him i understood that high beam reflector is small hence the space is less for him to be able to fit the projectors in there.
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:58   #7686
BHPian

I have been using Genome Projectors in my Civic for the 1 year approx. As you know, Civic has a twin barrel headlamp(separate bulb + reflector) for hi & lo beams respectively.
The Civic uses 9005 for Hi Beam & 9006 in Low beam as stock bulb sizes
I have the Bi Xenon projector from Genome that uses the H1 size HID bulb.
To fit, the reflector has to be opened (heated with a heat gun) and the projector is screwed in. No cutting the reflector)

The Bi Xenon projector is screwed in the LO beam barrel, and the HI beam barrel retains stock halogens.
The Hi Beam wiring is tapped to act as a trigger for the solenoid in the bi xenon projector.

The issue with using the available projectors is that the hi beam is quite ineffective. There is a very small concentrated spot of light that can act as a beam for distance lighting. It is more of a flood of light, and hence cant illuminate effectively at a long distance.

Here is where the original Hi Beam (9005) comes to the rescue. It provides a narrow beam for distance lighting.

If one chooses to put the Bi Xenon projector in the Hi Beam pod and and retain halogens in the Low beam, then it will have too much near lighting, and very ineffective distance lighting, due to the hi beam limitations of the Mini H1 projectors.
For those who are concerned about using Hi Beams from the Bi Xenons, then simply do not connect the solenoid trigger.

I would definitely not suggest these projectors for single barrel headlamps that use a single(typically H4) bulb for both hi/lo.

Yes, the halogen + xenon hi beam projectors are very bright, but so are most people driving on hi beams using standard halogens or 90/100 W halogens. they are enough to blind oncoming traffic.

The solution is to use hi beam only when required, whether you have HID projectors or not.

Also, using HID in any kind of reflectors is very bad, as it produces terrible glare even in low beam. So do fog lamps having HID bulbs in stock reflectors.

If you need hi beam performance from Projectors, then you will have to go in for FX-R or Hella type of projectors, that require modification to the reflector and expertise in installation.

Hope this helps

Last edited by VineetG : 22nd October 2013 at 16:00. Reason: Typos
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:51   #7687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
The question now is can Joy fit the projector (silver series )in Manza's high beam reflector?
When i last spoke to him i understood that high beam reflector is small hence the space is less for him to be able to fit the projectors in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
I have been using Genome Projectors in my Civic for the 1 year approx. As you know, Civic has a twin barrel headlamp(separate bulb + reflector) for hi & lo beams respectively.
The Civic uses 9005 for Hi Beam & 9006 in Low beam as stock bulb sizes
I have the Bi Xenon projector from Genome that uses the H1 size HID bulb.
To fit, the reflector has to be opened (heated with a heat gun) and the projector is screwed in. No cutting the reflector)

The Bi Xenon projector is screwed in the LO beam barrel, and the HI beam barrel retains stock halogens.
The Hi Beam wiring is tapped to act as a trigger for the solenoid in the bi xenon projector.

The issue with using the available projectors is that the hi beam is quite ineffective. There is a very small concentrated spot of light that can act as a beam for distance lighting. It is more of a flood of light, and hence cant illuminate effectively at a long distance.

Here is where the original Hi Beam (9005) comes to the rescue. It provides a narrow beam for distance lighting.

If one chooses to put the Bi Xenon projector in the Hi Beam pod and and retain halogens in the Low beam, then it will have too much near lighting, and very ineffective distance lighting, due to the hi beam limitations of the Mini H1 projectors.
For those who are concerned about using Hi Beams from the Bi Xenons, then simply do not connect the solenoid trigger.

I would definitely not suggest these projectors for single barrel headlamps that use a single(typically H4) bulb for both hi/lo.

Yes, the halogen + xenon hi beam projectors are very bright, but so are most people driving on hi beams using standard halogens or 90/100 W halogens. they are enough to blind oncoming traffic.

The solution is to use hi beam only when required, whether you have HID projectors or not.

Also, using HID in any kind of reflectors is very bad, as it produces terrible glare even in low beam. So do fog lamps having HID bulbs in stock reflectors.

If you need hi beam performance from Projectors, then you will have to go in for FX-R or Hella type of projectors, that require modification to the reflector and expertise in installation.

Hope this helps
The experience of VinnetG shows that there will be some solution for every make of car and the driver's preferences. Of course there will be trade offs & compromises. I also agree that switching between High & Low gives a clearer picture of the road ahead. And the best compromise is to slow down slightly when the conditions are not favourable.

I have just come from a session of adjusting the head lights of the Fusion. What I have observed is that the projectors are very sensitive to adjustment. I had initially adjusted the beams as per typical instructions @ 25 feet throw on a wall. I found that in actual driving conditions, in Low Beam, the RH side of the beam was too low & there was a dark spot right in the centre. Very troubling. So I adjusted such that the dark patch was no longer there. I almost reached the limits of Vertical & Horizontal adjustments of the headlights but have managed to get a satisfactory setting. Also needed to play around with the motorised headlamp adjustment (vertical) to get the spread I want. So now I have set the lights for adequate coverage on low beam & will use the high beam occasionally just to check on distant road conditions. Good enough for me as night driving is very rare for me.

madhu33 - u will need to take the final call. Do like I did. Take the car over to genome, open the headlamp assly & actually see which model projector fits where. Then you can decide whether to fit in high or low, which model, with or without shroud (that is a good option available- I took it without shroud!!).
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:26   #7688
BHPian

Guys I'm having Philips Rally H4 100/90 bulbs in my Spark. I got them installed in August 2012 and they were working without any issues till now.
Now yesterday night I was driving the suddenly the left bulb died. I switched to high beam and both the bulbs were working in that.
Then the left bulb again came on in the low beam and worked fine from sometime. Then it flickered for a couple of secs and again died.

Today evening I saw that both bulbs were working in low beam properly but if I switched to high beam then either both the bulbs would die or they would just stay in low beam.

What could be the issue? Do I just need to change the bulbs or there might be some wiring issue?
How long can such type of bulbs be expected to last?
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:31   #7689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Today evening I saw that both bulbs were working in low beam properly but if I switched to high beam then either both the bulbs would die or they would just stay in low beam. What could be the issue? Do I just need to change the bulbs or there might be some wiring issue? How long can such type of bulbs be expected to last?
Check and replace your relay switch and also for one bulb just working see if any of the fuses have blown in the relay. You should be able to do this on your own. Cost of a relay around 200-300 and fuse around 10 inr.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:56   #7690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post

Sorry to spoil the party, if you use a HID bixenon projector on the high beam pod, you are going to lose the flashing feature which is a life saver as the HID takes few seconds to warm up for full brightness so its not as effective as the stock halogen. One more, frequent flashing with a HID will shorten the life of the kit.

Better option is go for bixenon on low beam so you will have better low beam spread and dual high beam which is very useful for speeds above 80kph. The only thing is use the high beam judiciously like a responsible rider than a moron who forgets about others from the opposite side. Just my two cents.
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:31   #7691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Guys I'm having Philips Rally H4 100/90 bulbs in my Spark. I got them installed in August 2012 and they were working without any issues till now. Now yesterday night I was driving the suddenly the left bulb died. I switched to high beam and both the bulbs were working in that. Then the left bulb again came on in the low beam and worked fine from sometime. Then it flickered for a couple of secs and again died. Today evening I saw that both bulbs were working in low beam properly but if I switched to high beam then either both the bulbs would die or they would just stay in low beam. What could be the issue? Do I just need to change the bulbs or there might be some wiring issue? How long can such type of bulbs be expected to last?
Most probably your headlight socket has a loose connection or has melt down due to load of the bulbs
You will need to check and change to ceramic holders for better life on high voltage bulbs
hemen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:40   #7692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Sorry to spoil the party, if you use a HID bixenon projector on the high beam pod, you are going to lose the flashing feature which is a life saver as the HID takes few seconds to warm up for full brightness so its not as effective as the stock halogen. One more, frequent flashing with a HID will shorten the life of the kit.

Better option is go for bixenon on low beam so you will have better low beam spread and dual high beam which is very useful for speeds above 80kph. The only thing is use the high beam judiciously like a responsible rider than a moron who forgets about others from the opposite side. Just my two cents.
Dodge_viper has beautifully explained the concept of bi-xenon in post 7683, but the option of fixing the bi-xenon in the hi beam (in a twin barrel setup) is not practical at all.

The HID bulbs takes a few seconds to glow fully and in case the HID is fitted in the high beam then you'll loose the facility of passing light or flashing light (as called by many) for the oncoming traffic. Also as mentioned by Sajjt, flashing your HID frequently will lessen the life of the bulb considerably and it will not be viable financially. In case the bi-xenon HID is fixed in the low beam the bulb is already glowing and hot, so giving a passing light won't be a problem in this case.

So, the only option in case of a twin barrel setup is to fix the bi-xenon in the low beam reflector.

Also Morimoto Mini or similar type projector will fit into the existing reflector of most cars without cutting of reflector. The Mini is designed to be placed in the stock halogen bulb hole and held in place with a big lock nut. In case of bigger projectors or full size projectors like FXR-3.0 you will have to cut the reflectors to fit the projectors.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:01   #7693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
So, the only option in case of a twin barrel setup is to fix the bi-xenon in the low beam reflector.
Exactly, high beam pod will be smaller than the low beam pod as its providing 'pencil beam' spread which is required for distant visibility. Obviously it wont have enough space to accomodate a projector comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Also Morimoto Mini or similar type projector will fit into the existing reflector of most cars without cutting of reflector. The Mini is designed to be placed in the stock halogen bulb hole and held in place with a big lock nut. In case of bigger projectors or full size projectors like FXR-3.0 you will have to cut the reflectors to fit the projectors.
If its a DIY or a amateur project, go for the bolt on projectors on the reflectors with suitable projector size. Non standard fitment will be a big pain even for professionals as it involves many trial and error procedures and getting the beam aligned is a real tough job in some HL assemblies with low space cavities. Being with a retrofitted projector I can vouch that
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:34   #7694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Being with a retrofitted projector I can vouch that
Hi,
Which projector did you get retrofitted? How is the hi beam performance? Do you also have twin beam headlights?

Rgds
Vineet
Old 23rd October 2013, 19:00   #7695
BHPian

I have a 2013 July Ertiga ZXi.
I want to upgrade the headlight of the car with a limited budget. (Max 2-3 K)

Tow Options:

1) Change the bulb to Philips EV in stock wattage.
+ve : No warranty issue
No extra addition / cutting / modification of the electrical system.
-ve : No Bulb warranty.
Can not say a much upgrade from the stock.
The cost of a pair is around 1k to 1.2k .

2) Upgrade the headlight with 100/90 with relay.

+ve : Good cost effective (Rs.2500)
Effective light at night.
Bulbs are cheaper (Rs200 per pair)
No as such maintenance (have already used in my previous car)

-ve : Headlight assembly blacken after some time (say 1-2 year, experience with my previous car)
Generate much heat & may spoil the other component.
Car warranty issue (may be..not sure)

Other options available but those are out of my budget. Even HID is good but this can blind the traffic.

Please suggest me which option i need to choose.

Anything like (Option-2) for Fog lamp?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks